Buddhahood in This Life

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ronnewmexico

Re: Buddhahood in This Life

Post by ronnewmexico »

My appologies to the IP for deviating from point a bit...Hello TM...long time no see.

I totally agree with your statement 100%....and am now curious to see if what I now state will be found to be diagreement :smile:

We are always in a state of being the culminations of potentially billions of lives and the Buddha was not a exception to our lives experience but a example of our experience. So thusly we may be ripe for enlightenment in human form in this very life....we simply do not know for certain being human what our past spiritual experience was or ammounted to. It is very very unlikely but we could never disallow the possiblity.

The spirit of Bodhicitta to my personal opinion allows for the final push towards full enlightenment and buddhahood which by necessity of description entails the total complete absolute destruction of self concept in every aspect.
Such could not simply occur without bodhicicitta replaceing self with other. Suchly buddhahood could not occur without bodhicitta. Self could be removed only to the extent that self could remove self(concept)...which is of course close too, but not the real bannana. In absense of self the only motivator to provide such (other) which must motivate would be other concern or bodhicitta. Seemingly in a practical fashion this would have to be as it is.

Thusly the crux of the issue in a final consideration of philosophical viewpoint difference between the two schools....one considering a fully enlightenment being this, and one considering a fully enlightenment being that, and two different requirements to get to the two different places. One saying this is not possible, one saying that is not possible.
My personal opinion...it only matters if you are one of the very rare few who are that close. For 99.9% it matters not a whit, both paths are the same (if not abberations within those paths).
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
mudra

Post by mudra »

After working hard for three eons, in one lifetime the soon-to-be Buddha attained full enlightenment...

If you work at it real hard, it's gotta happen sometime.

(mudra quickly ducks out the back door before the rotten tomatoes start flying)
ground

Post by ground »

mudra wrote:After working hard for three eons, in one lifetime the soon-to-be Buddha attained full enlightenment...

If you work at it real hard, it's gotta happen sometime.

(mudra quickly ducks out the back door before the rotten tomatoes start flying)
No need to duck if one follows the view of realized masters :smile:

Kind regards
ground

Post by ground »

Hello ronnewmexico
ronnewmexico wrote:...Hello TM...long time no see.

I totally agree with your statement 100%....
I am happy that this is the case. Because actually what I stated is what noble masters like Kamalashila and Atisha and Tsongkhapa had been teaching and it is very auspicious if we can concur with what these great masters taught.

Kind regards
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Astus wrote:
"Unfortunately not all of it is from reliable authorities."

One has to be able to sort it out and don't put the books by Rajneesh on the same shelf as those by Jamgon Kongtrul.
This is quite pervasive. In point of fact, it's possible in some circles to advance your career by announcing your willingness to make a mashup of your spiritual life. For example:

http://www.rhizomedesigns.org/page/page/5102208.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for decoding purposes: the "diamond approach" is from the "ridhwan school" of A.H. Almaas; the "integral life" thing is pure Ken Wilber; &c. I think this is an example of someone attempting to put Buddhist practices such as ngondro into a New Age context...
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Really!!!.."I am happy that this is the case. Because actually what I stated is what noble masters like Kamalashila and Atisha and Tsongkhapa had been teaching and it is very auspicious if we can concur with what these great masters taught."

I am not happy nor unhappy about that :smile: And I find it neither auspicious nor inauspicious as perfect success is seemingly never perfectly successful. If I found such to be so, I would then be so as well.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.
ground

Post by ground »

ronnewmexico wrote: I am not happy nor unhappy about that :smile: And I find it neither auspicious nor inauspicious as perfect success is seemingly never perfectly successful.
Hmh ... might be the conceptual effect of reifying equanimity ... I trust you will cope with it, if so. Be well.

Kind regards
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Yes certainly. To others capeable of determining others spiritual certainty it may certainly seems so.

The copeing and being stuff...seems to mainly take care of itself.
If however I find those things, I will certainly follow your advice :smile:
ground

Post by ground »

Among the many beings seen in the morning
Some are not seen in the evening
Among the many beings seen in the evening
Some are not seen in the morning
Udana-varga

You dwell among the causes of death
Like a butter lamp standing in a strong breeze
Nagarjuna

It is not good for people to say,
"I'll put it off until tomorrow and do this today"
A tomorrow when you are gone
Will undoubtedly come.
Maha-raja-kaniska-lekha
ronnewmexico

Post by ronnewmexico »

Comical

Lets see now a death that does not contain the same properties of this life.
As if to die.....it would end or begin anything.
Such peoples...they really perhaps truly do believe in suicide as remedy

But no it is not. And death be that I die tomorrow....means nothing.
Only to the self is death consequential. And death as did arise our perceived life, is guaranted our death.

So perhaps I should rale and rent my garments on this thing of birth as opposed to death..
or to quote a poet....he not busy being born is busy dying.

So come death I await your arrival to see if you indeed as those of conceptual bias state....contain anything that is not of empty or dependent cause found. Is not of anything I do find right here and now in this circumstance of causal origin.

Come death, come here.... I will hold you close. We shall find if it is you or I, or both perhaps, that are finally found nonexistant.

But death it seems it seeks not my embrace. Running far away it is....wait right here if you may....while I pursue it. I will run jump chase it. Pursue it. Find it grab it. Slash and stab it, eat it, lie in it, smash it with hammer, tear it limb from limb, study it, to find out what comprises this thing of death.
When found I will then know....what is is and is not.

It is not..... I now firmly suspect. But when such I capture it I will know with certainity.
So if you see this death of which you speak...send it my way. I will await its arrival.
As I have sought a birth so thusly I seek a death.... it is but cause and effect, karma some may call..but suspect I.... neither death nor birth will enter my grasp.

When so pursued they run....far away. As when so sought to elude they closely come.

Gods demons humans whatever...I know nothing but that this is true. Be wary....it awaits you to.
Not death nor life but that which is true. If born you will die. As consequence it is...to your way of thinking and nothing more. What allows you to be in your concept formed is only of concept formed as thought may come and go.....transient. Without such transient inert object it would be.
So inert we desire not to be.....but death fear not me. Appearence it remains only, and I as well.

So sell death somewhere else....no buyers here. I find that notion be....quite comical, though jester nor thief I be.

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”