YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Recommendation: Zafu with a removable cover? - Dhamma Wheel

Recommendation: Zafu with a removable cover?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Jhana4

Recommendation: Zafu with a removable cover?

Postby Jhana4 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:14 pm

I bought my zafu and zabuton several decades ago, perhaps when consciousness about the environment and reusing our things was perhaps not so great. Neither have removable covers and are not in a size that works with the removable covers you can find online. I've been working with a zafu maker who has made me customer covers, but they messed up. He has offered to try again if I send him my zafu in the mail so he can have the benefit of fitting it there. I already sunk some money into this that that will be lost if I give up, so I am inclined to spend more money to get a cover that will work. However, I will need a zafu while he does his work. It could take over a week, so I don't feel comfortable borrowing a zafu from a vihara.

So, can anyone recommend a zafu and one with a removable cover convenient for washing? I like firm and high zafus. Please only recommend a zafu you have personal experience ( I can Google on my own, thanks ).

My recommendation:

A well made zafu and zabuton can lost a long time. Decades. If you buy either, make sure they have removable covers convenient for laundering to keep them looking as good as they function as the years go on. Getting new covers after the fact does not work well as there are no standard sizes.
In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

wizi

Re: Recommendation: Zafu with a removable cover?

Postby wizi » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:27 pm

Hmmm... could u not remove the buckwheat fillings and have the zafu cover laundered in a dry-cleaners?
All beings like yourself are responsible for their own actions. Suffering or happiness is created through one's relationship to experience, not by experience itself. Although I wish only the best for you, I know that your happiness or unhappiness depends on your actions, not on my wishes for you.
May you not be caught in reactivity.

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:49 pm

The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:22 pm

I ordered a hugger mugger cushion from amazon a while back. It has a zippered opening to add or remove buckwheat hulls. As it arrived it had so many buckwheat hulls in it that it was a little high for me, so i had to remove some. Other than that it was perfect. I havent needed to wash the cover yet, but adding and removing buckwheat hulls from this cushion is easy so i imagine it would be a snap.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Is there an inner container to hold it all together such that you can remove the cover to launder it, without having a pile of stuffing?

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:28 pm

“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

Return to “Lounge”