The Banning of Bardor Tulku Rinpoche

Smackdown

Re: The Banning of Bardor Tulku Rinpoche

Post by Smackdown »

mr. gordo wrote: The thread title was taken from the first article written by Bill Schwartz. It was the title for the article he wrote for elephant journal.
Sorry for being hard on you, but it does shine a negative light on one side before anyone even have read the thread. I think coming from the moderator, it could have been a more neutral title. Again, sorry for being hard on you.
You don't give enough credit to Americans or any other person's a ability to read through the three articles that were presented from both sides. The idea is to create a discussion so people can make their own decisions.
To be honest, how can three articles shine a light on something that can has over 50 years of history? Please bear in mind that they grew up together, they practice together ...
Which doesn't mean we ignore the elephant in the room.
or emptiness ...
So you have your own opinion too then I see. This is good.
Yes, forever on the side of HHK
Mr. G

Post by Mr. G »

Smackdown wrote:
To be honest, how can three articles shine a light on something that can has over 50 years of history? Please bear in mind that they grew up together, they practice together ...
Because the three articles presented the views of long term practitioners and employees who have had over 20 + years working and practicing at KTD....and both sides had the chance to voice their opinions.
Quote:
Which doesn't mean we ignore the elephant in the room.

or emptiness ...
This response means what?
Quote:
So you have your own opinion too then I see. This is good.

Yes, forever on the side of HHK
And everyone is grateful to have you express your opinion here openly, without fear of censorship or being written off.

:namaste:
  • How foolish you are,
    grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu
Heruka

Post by Heruka »

its not in Americans history or nature to bow and scrape to others, Tibetans have learning curve in that regard. Americans have also learning curve in other culture, sure there is gonna be teething problems.

adversity makes the man as they say, decadence makes one weak.

there's a good lesson in this spat, like two old ladies at the market place swinging handbags at ten paces away from each other.....(lol) never hitting.
heart

Post by heart »

My advice to everyone involved in this situation is to move on, because it is highly unlike this situation will be resolved any more than it is. I have some experience from an other smaller center in an other part of the world. Tibetans have complicated webs of trust and public opinion doesn't matter at all. Reason doesn't matter. My guess is that this situation is considered already resolved by the high Lamas involved.
Now, if you been hurt and badly or unjustly treated you should just get on with your practice. Go and see some other teacher that you trust. Consider it bad karma that ripened. Don't hold your breath waiting for justice because it will not happen. Attain complete enlightenment instead :smile: and leave the center politics to those that can't live without it. If there is something wrong at the center other people will get hurt in time and new situations like this will happen in a few years for the people that right now are treating you badly. Anyway, I feel so sorry for you because I know how much suffering these situations bring. It is very difficult to let go off it but it is the only healthy option.

lots of love
/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Jangchup Donden

Post by Jangchup Donden »

Smackdown wrote: I just wish the attack can stop and everyone can go back to their practice.
This hasn't effected my practice in the slightest, if anything the situation has deepened it. Again, this is just trying to ignore the situation instead of working to fix it.
Smackdown wrote:You cannot dodge the fact that when you attack the broad, you are also attacking Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche.
Sure I can. The board is not Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche and does not have the final say in board decisions. I'm positive Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche is doing what is best for him to do for sentient beings, but I'm also aware that he has to deal with his situation and those around him.
I am sure it is a sore subject for those who are Barbor Rinpoche's student but please keep your samaya pure. Because in a way you are undermining HHK, KTD and KTC are his centers and he ok the resignation.
I am not undermining Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche or His Holiness the Karmapa in any way. If anything, I think I am helping them by shedding some light on this so the situation can be resolved. By banning Bardor Tulku Rinpoche and his students from teaching at KTD and the KTCs (which I know His Holiness the Karmapa had nothing to do with), the KTD board is only hurting KTD and the KTCs -- and it's because of a personal vendetta by one of the board members with a known history of that type of thing.
How can you think that HHK and KKR are sometimes wise but sometimes not, and sometimes omniscient, and sometimes not?
His Holiness the Karmapa has nothing to do with this matter, so this statement is just silly. Likewise, I think Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche is doing the best he can given his situation. I think you're confusing the fact that while omniscient (knowing everything), they are not omnipotent (can do anything) -- if they were, we'd all be enlightened already. Enlightened beings have to deal with the karma and kleshas of those around them, they can't prevent people from making stupid decisions.
Lastly, I just don't want this thread to create negative karma by delineate newer student from one side or the other because I am sure both centers offer genuine teachings.
This I agree on. Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche's dharma is excellent. But I don't think by talking about this and trying to help fix some of the bad elements of how KTD is run is a bad thing.
Please keep in mind that we are there to learn Dharma, not running for board president or to run the center.
This is true, but you're confusing the president of KTD and the other board members with dharma. Even though some of them were appointed by His Holiness the Karmapa, that doesn't make them infallible. They're sentient beings and they can make mistakes. What's happening here is politics, not dharma, and thats what I have a problem with. They've done something which is really putting a lot of students in turmoil, and trying to drive a wedge between people who have practiced together for years. I don't want to see that happen.
jakeblues6919

Post by jakeblues6919 »

Smackdown wrote: How can you think that HHK and KKR are sometimes wise but sometimes not, and sometimes omniscient, and sometimes not?
IMHO, I think all human beings, including tulkus, are "sometimes wise but sometimes not."
Jangchup Donden

jakeblues6919 wrote:
Smackdown wrote: How can you think that HHK and KKR are sometimes wise but sometimes not, and sometimes omniscient, and sometimes not?
IMHO, I think all human beings, including tulkus, are "sometimes wise but sometimes not."
I think it's probably worth re-quoting what I quoted earlier in the thread, from a refuge teaching Bardor Tulku Rinpoche gave earlier this summer, before this whole mess:
I need to make something clear about this distinction between the three jewels, and this clarification is especially needed in a culture such as western culture where buddhadharma is relatively new. Because we take refuge in the Buddha, dharma, and sangha, when we are new to buddhadharma, we generally have the attitude that all three must be perfect. We therefore expect that any member of the sangha must be perfect, and then as soon as we discover—as we eventually must—that members of the sangha have problems, then we decide that the whole thing must be a lie. We are disillusioned about the sangha. This causes us to distrust the dharma and lose faith all together. This, however, can be easily prevented by gaining an understanding of the attributes of the three jewels as explained by the Buddha. If you understand the distinctions the Buddha made among the attributes of the three jewels, this disillusionment and rejection of dharma—this disappointment—need not occur.

If the Buddha had said, “I take refuge in the sangha, supreme among all that is free of attachment,” then our disillusionment would be justifiable. If the Buddha had claimed that the sangha was free of attachment, then as soon as we detected a dharma teacher or member of the sangha demonstrating attachment, such as attachment to food or sex or pleasure of some kind, disillusionment would be justifiable. But the Buddha never said that. The Buddha did not say, “Take refuge in the sangha because they are free of attachment. He said, “Take refuge in the sangha, the best society, supreme among assemblies.” Now what does it mean? As human beings, we are involved in societies, groups, and organizations of all kinds. Many of these are inherently negative. Many of them are neutral. But among all of the societies in which we may take part, the sangha is unique because it is dedicated to mutual support in the pursuit of awakening. So the Buddha never claimed that we should expect the sangha to be perfect. But we should understand the sangha to be the best society.

He did, on the other hand, assert the perfection of dharma. He said, “I take refuge in the dharma, supreme among all that is free of attachment.” And there is a reason for this. Just as the Buddha did not claim that the sangha is free of attachment, he did claim that dharma is free of attachment. Dharma has two aspects: The dharma of tradition and the dharma of realization. The dharma of tradition refers to the Buddha’s teachings and the commentaries upon them. These exist as books. Books are inanimate objects. Books, the words in books, the ideas communicated by those words, as inanimate things cannot possibly have kleshas. You can never mistrust the message found in these books on the basis of assuming that it might have a klesha. It cannot. The other aspect of dharma is realization. This realization dharma is the achievement of the fruition (or result) of the path—the achievement of nirvana—whether it is the nirvana of a shravaka; the nirvana of a pratyekabuddha; or the great non-abiding nirvana of a buddha—the wisdom which knows what there is and the nature of all that there is, the culmination of the bodhisattva path. Whether it is the one-sided nirvana of a shravaka or pratyekabuddha, or the great nirvana of a buddha, which transcends both samsara and nirvana, realization refers to the transcendence of samsara and therefore all kleshas. When someone achieves realization dharma, they cannot and do not have kleshas. Therefore neither the dharma of tradition nor the dharma of realization can possess attachment or any other kleshas. Therefore it was correct and important for the Buddha to make that assertion. If you understand the difference between the dharma and the sangha, then you will not be surprised and disillusioned when you see flaws in dharma teachers or other members of the sangha. You will recognize that as members of the sangha they deserve your support in the mutual achievement of liberation.
jakeblues6919

Post by jakeblues6919 »

Thanks for that long explanation from Rinpoche. I agree with him completely.
Sonam Choepel17

Post by Sonam Choepel17 »

I appreciate your thoughts on this Jangchup Donden and agree with you,
Although I find KTD's new charter repugnant, I am still Karma Kagyu and have no personal bias with or against both Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche or Barway Dorje Rinpoche. Tenzin, means nothing to me, other than an object of pity. I have been a Kagyu since the early 80's and had the good fortune of taking refuge from Lama Ganga. I belive it is quite naive to connect the idea of samaya to the ability of assessing a situation and making ones own choices in the matter. I have considered this situation and got some impartial advise from an american lama that I trust. The upshot is, I will not discontinue my KTD membership, as that is of no greater benefit to the dharma. Hopefully, the remaining 3 years will pass quickly; and in the nature of impermanence, this too shall pass.
SonamZangpo

Post by SonamZangpo »

There are a lot of words in those articles that are going to weigh heavily on that man's Karma. I feel a sorrowful compassion for one who is trying to inform the Sangha, but is really contributing to the problem and is throwing out negative terms. These articles are charged with such passion and negativity that while they say "this will ruin KTD's reputation" or some such thing, they are, in turn, slandering KTD and so are sort of creating a self-fulfilling prophecy. Those of you reading these articles should resist and subdue passions rising out of reading such things. I am thinking a large reason that Bardor Tulku Rinpoche has no ill will toward KTD is because he is, in fact, attained, and is able to see passed the passionately charged "conflict" that has taken place.

Even if Bardor Tulku was not allowed to teach at KTD ever again, it would not matter. His attainments and lineage and dharmic teachings have not been denied authenticity. I have friends living at KTD that visit Bardor's Monastery. I also plan to visit soon. Dharma is dharma. If I lived at KTD, but visited another lineage's center for a teaching, it would not matter. So, if learning things from different lineages does not impact us, then why worry about going between masters belonging to the same lineage, just because they are in geographically different places?
http://www.facebook.com/szangpo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.facebook.com/kyle.labonte" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- This is my more active facebook, if you want some real discussion

OM TARE TUTTARE TURE SOHA

"The world is dark when you're depressed; your thoughts have the power to invent your world." -Courage Wolf

"It is more important to be kind than to be right."
(I acknowledge I do not follow the quote above this, that is why it is there! so I will be reminded every time I post! :) )
jakeblues6919

Post by jakeblues6919 »

Sonam,

The writer has his opinions, and you know what, this is still a free country, and he's free to express his opinions the same as you and I. I'd like to give you a personal welcome to the Internet era. :rolling:
SonamZangpo

Post by SonamZangpo »

jakeblues6919 wrote:Sonam,

The writer has his opinions, and you know what, this is still a free country, and he's free to express his opinions the same as you and I. I'd like to give you a personal welcome to the Internet era. :rolling:

Heh, I'm completely aware of that. In the internet era I've been a ruthless mercenary until recently, trolling people and making them rage to no end. I kinda even want to go to this writer and say "why u mad tho?" just for nostalgia.

But really, if he is writing as a practitioner, and then writing his opinions like this and getting people riled up... yes, he has the right, but he in incurring negative karma from it. What if someone new in Buddhism comes across that article, and all they pull out of it is that Buddhism is all dramatic politics? Bam, right there, Wrong View.

I would also move to have this moved to another forum, as it does not contribute in any constructive way toward pursuing the Vajrayana ideal in practice. There is such a sever lack of Bodhicitta in the article, that... I don't know. I know not to avoid things which may lead to sorrowful compassion, but... I'd like to think when I go to read about my own lineage and practice, I can read encouraging, inspiring things that lead to my having more enthusiasm about Buddhism. This is the opposite of that, though it has moved me to practice slowing my mind and generating compassionate thoughts. So, I suppose then I am turning an obstacle into a virtuous act, and I suggest all of you do the same if you haven't already.
http://www.facebook.com/szangpo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.facebook.com/kyle.labonte" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <- This is my more active facebook, if you want some real discussion

OM TARE TUTTARE TURE SOHA

"The world is dark when you're depressed; your thoughts have the power to invent your world." -Courage Wolf

"It is more important to be kind than to be right."
(I acknowledge I do not follow the quote above this, that is why it is there! so I will be reminded every time I post! :) )
jakeblues6919

Post by jakeblues6919 »

I also think it's good to read encouraging things, but we can't keep our heads buried in the sand. What exactly is it that you find false in the article? Is Bardor Rinpoche allowed to teach at KTD (& KTCs) or not? Is that what most members want?

I think the writer feels he doesn't have much longer left in this life, and he feels a sense of urgency for this reason. I think he wants to help make positive changes in a short period of time. He sees the Kagyu lineage moving in a wrong direction in America and longs for the glory days when the 16th Karmapa & Trungpa Rinpoche were still alive. Impermenance is hard for some people to take. :buddha2:
heart

Post by heart »

From the kagyu yahoo-group

------------------------------------------------
Dear Sangha,

This is a letter received from His Holiness on October 26, 2010, in reply to my letter submitted in September. I've posted my letter and Kirk Moulton's letter in Google Group already, so if this comes to you as a duplicate, please ignore this email. I am sending this to those of you who participated in the conference call held in August in response to the board's resolution. Please feel free to share as you wish.

May it be of benefit.

In the Dharma,
Linda Lee

===================

Dear Ms. Lee,

Thank you for your letter dated 5 September 2010 to His Holiness, Gyalwang Karmapa. We have discussed your letter with His Holiness who appreciates your commitment to upholding the Karma Kagyu lineage and your contribution in this regard, especially as the Director of Seattle KTC.
His Holiness understands that recent developments at KTD have caused pain and confusion to many devotees. Ven Bardor Tulku Rinpoche has been a close disciple of the XVIth Karmapa and has contributed much to the establishment of KTD and KTCs. His separation from KTD/KTCs is, therefore, a painful process. In such a situation it is important for students to remain firm in their practice.
His Holiness has clarified that Karma Kagyu Lineage and Barway Dorje Terma are not mutually exclusive. The important thing is for one to be clear about one's main lineage and root guru. One could have Karma Kagyu lineage as the main practice and Barway Dorje terma as a secondary one and vice-versa. The main question is which lineage and which guru do you consider yourself to be a disciple of?
His Holiness advises that although these days one can receive many teachings, it is better for a student to have one main practice supplemented by other secondary ones. Without one main practice and a root teacher, one could get confused in one's practice.
In so far as compatibility between your practice and your office responsibility is concerned, His Holiness has indicated that there should not be any conflict although as the Director of a KTC guiding other students, it is desirable that you follow the Karma Kagyu lineage as your main practice.
As you may be aware, His Holiness has directed that the KTD and associated KTCs focus on Karma Kagyu lineage with Ven Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche as the main spiritual guide. He is pleased that Ven Bardor Tulku Rinpoche has established Kunzang Palchen Ling as it can provide focused teachings on Barway Dorje Terma. In view of the close association between the two lineages in the past, it is His Holiness' heartfelt wish that KTD and KPL will maintain friendly relations, and that both the Karma Kagyu and Barway Dorje Terma lineages will flourish in America.
We hope the above responds to your queries.

With best wishes,
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Jangchup Donden

I received the same letter. Maybe not the best thing to hear, but also not the worst.

On another note, Lama Tashi Topgyal of KPL was invited by HH the Karmapa to do a week long retreat with him, and we're all very excited about that.
heart

Post by heart »

Jangchup Donden wrote:I received the same letter. Maybe not the best thing to hear, but also not the worst.

On another note, Lama Tashi Topgyal of KPL was invited by HH the Karmapa to do a week long retreat with him, and we're all very excited about that.
I understand that but as I suspected the matter is considered already resolved.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Jangchup Donden

heart wrote:
Jangchup Donden wrote:I received the same letter. Maybe not the best thing to hear, but also not the worst.

I understand that but as I suspected the matter is considered already resolved.

/magnus
Yeah I think the matter is most likely resolved as well. I know more than a few people at various KTCs who are simply starting up new dharma groups, so they can invite Rinpoche to come teach. It sucks that friends had to be alienated from each other like this and made to choose a side, but I don't think there's much else that will be done.
fragrant herbs

Post by fragrant herbs »

Smackdown wrote:
The entire post is making the already confused people even more confused. The problem with American is that they always wants to know, they think that if they can just get to the bottom of it, they can solve everything. But the problem is that you can't know everything, and you will never know everything. ..

I just wish the attack can stop and everyone can go back to their practice. You cannot dodge the fact that when you attack the broad, you are also attacking Khenpo Karthar Rinpoche. I am sure it is a sore subject for those who are Barbor Rinpoche's student but please keep your samaya pure. Because in a way you are undermining HHK, KTD and KTC are his centers and he ok the resignation. How can you think that HHK and KKR are sometimes wise but sometimes not, and sometimes omniscient, and sometimes not? Lastly, I just don't want this thread to create negative karma by delineate newer student from one side or the other because I am sure both centers offer genuine teachings. Please keep in mind that we are there to learn Dharma, not running for board president or to run the center.
I am not going to spend much time on this thread as I saw another like it go down heavy on freesangha with people leaving and feelings being hurt. I was very upset with the Dalai Lama after learning about his own bannings, and in order to let it all go I had to also try to stop judging him, after all he has done a lot of good in this world, and this can also be applied to these lineages you are talking about.

Anyway, we don't know everyone's karma in all of this, and what smackdown is saying is so true. Even if we wanted to understand it all there is no way to do so, and so people take sides for and against. While it is good to have compassion, I think it is best doing this through meditation and prayer. After all this thread is not going to change anything, other than it could cause negative feelings towards each other and the teachers. I don't mean this as judgment but because I know. I, myself, spent over 11 years on a board exposing a certain guru and his organization. What a waste of years, and yet in the end I didn't have the complete truth other than the truth that it was harming me and others.

Nice to have you here Smackdown.
J-Bird

Post by J-Bird »

Wow...this is the first I have heard of all of this.

My advice (I recognize it is unsolicited) would be to keep your practice consistent, and don't entrench yourself into one position or the other if you can help it. Americans (& Westerners in general) have a habit of taking on Tibet's politics which really has no benefit for us in our path, and will only lead to more confusion. Americans tend to polarize themselves in these issues, when often the Tibetan's themselves have not done so. Strong statements are made, people are asked to "choose sides", and within 3-4 years something happens to totally switch the dichotomy and the Americans get even more confused and befuddled because they had invested so much time and effort in their activities to accept or reject a position.

The initial post which started all of this is well written and takes into account the historical context which can be seen as cause of American's tendency to vehemently stand up to inequity. The American revolution no doubt provides a historical and cultural justification for the authors sentiments. On the other hand, we as Americans tend to forget how young we are as a nation. Yes we had some tremendous victories over the British, and our national history lends itself to a series of uprisings against oppression (Civil War; Civil Rights Movement Ect...) But in many ways to compare the recent events at KTD to one of these American Social Movements is comparing apples to oranges.

A culture that is as old and diverse as that of Tibet's (First Tibetan King of Record Reigned sometime between 414-126 BCE) often manifests behavioral norms that leave us young American's scratching our head. Unlike in American culture, in Tibetan culture the shortest distance between two points is often NOT a straight line; as is the case with most ancient civilizations. Public conflict is not dealt with the same way as there are sometimes decades, or even centuries of political intrigue behind the somewhat trivial root causes of these conflicts (maybe an explanation for the lawnmower incident???) . While we as Americans can count our major national rebellions and conflicts on one hand, Tibetans would need many more digits to account for all of the political & religious intrigue that has taken place in their society. (I do not point this out to be judgmental of Tibetan history). Thus, as Americans its is natural to expect straight line solution, yet I can tell you that its not going to happen and you must be okay with that. The best thing to do is to just practice, and avoid conjecture or entrenchment into one position.

There is a very good metaphor I like to share with people from Dzongsar Khyentse Rinpoche about the balance between Dharma & culture. Learning dharma is like drinking a cup of tea. The tea itself is the Dharma, and the cup is the culture which fosters and holds the Dharma. You need to make sure your don't get so distracted by the ornateness of the cup that you forget to drink the tea.

I hope this helps....and I am not trying to tell anyone on this thread what to do or how to do it....I know a lot of people must be in great pain from all of this, I am just trying to share my own experience with similar matters.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Gotta love dharma poltics! What better way to keep practitioners tied to the constantly spinning wheel of samsara than to make their practice a source of suffering and attachment? F^&*^$%^#%$&^*%^*ing brilliant!
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Kagyu”