Jomgon Kongtrul's Creation and Completion Questions

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Alan A

Jomgon Kongtrul's Creation and Completion Questions

Post by Alan A »

Hi y'all!
I've been doing a little reading in Jomgon Kongtrul's Creation and Completion and have a questions regarding
the following line of text:

"That which purifies are the many different form yogas, such as the creation of the five actual enlightening factors, the four vajras, and the three rituals, which purify, respectively, womb birth, egg birth, and moisture-warmth birth.

Can anyone enumerate what precisely the "five enlightening factors, the four vajras, and the three rituals" are.

Thanks all!
Alan
kirtu
Former staff member

Re: Jomgon Kongtrul's Creation and Completion Questions

Post by kirtu »

Alan A wrote:Hi y'all!
I've been doing a little reading in Jomgon Kongtrul's Creation and Completion and have a questions regarding
the following line of text:

"That which purifies are the many different form yogas, such as the creation of the five actual enlightening factors, the four vajras, and the three rituals, which purify, respectively, womb birth, egg birth, and moisture-warmth birth.

Can anyone enumerate what precisely the "five enlightening factors, the four vajras, and the three rituals" are.
As noted these all relate to deity yoga practice (form yogas).

The three rituals are almost certainly three different visualizations/practices/stages during a sadhana as these purify womb birth, egg birth and moisture-birth. These vary from sadhana to sadhana but most higher yoga tantra sadhanas have them, some explicitly and some not. They are taught during the teaching following the empowerment for that practice (and I always write this down and forget it).

The four vajras are relating to vajra body, speech, mind, and actions. So this relates to divine pride in the deity actually. It could also be understood the be the practice of transforming your perceptions elaborately or not, into the pure body, speech, mind and actions of the deity.

The creation of the five enlightening factors relates to the creation stage (so it's the gradual creation stage where one develops the seed syllable, then the lotus seat, etc.). I don't know all the five factors as Jamgon Kongtrul would have explicated them in this text.

I'm surprised that Sarah Harding didn't write a note about this.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”