Save Troy Davis

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
Perry

Save Troy Davis

Postby Perry » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi everyone at DhammaWheel, it's been a while since I've posted here, nice to be back!

I would just like to make you aware of this if you aren't already, and hope that you wll put your name to the petition:

------------

Troy Davis is due to be executed in Georgia this Wednesday for the murder of a policeman in 1989. The problem is, there has been no evidence ever linking Davis to the crime, 7 of 9 witnesses maintain that Davis is innocent, and one of the two witnesses who maintain Davis' guilt was the original suspect.

Davis has been on Death Row for twenty years and he had his final parole hearing yesterday, where he was denied clemency. Tomorrow, barring a last-minute move from the Parole Board, he will be executed.

Amnesty International have taken up his case, though they are remaining neutral regarding whether he is guily or innocent. The point of this petition is not to say he is innocent, but to say that it is not okay for the state to murder somebody when there is not reasonable evidence to prove that they have committed the crime themselves. There is no evidence that he is responsible, yet he will face death for it regardless.

Archbishop Desmond Tutu, former President Jimmy Carter and Pope Benedict XVI are among the 620,000 names requesting he is granted clemency. Why not put your name in too?

As I say, I do not know if he is guilty or innocent, but it is horrific that this man is facing death without proof of any crime.

http://action.amnesty.org.uk/ea-action/ ... _main_home

Mawkish1983

Re: Save Troy Davis

Postby Mawkish1983 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:55 am

I've heard that Troy has been executed. So, there was reasonable doubt about his guilt but because he couldn't prove his innocence he was executed? It seems backwards to me.

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:07 am

_/|\_

plwk

Postby plwk » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:26 am

Buddham Saranam Gacchami
Dhammam Saranam Gacchami
Sangham Saranam Gacchami :candle:

Sabbe saṅkhārā aniccā'ti
Sabbe saṅkhārā dukkhā'ti
Sabbe dhammā anattā'ti :candle:

Jīvit'indriy'upaccheda-
saṅkhāta-maraṇaṃ siyā,
Sabbesaṃ pīdha pāṇīnaṃ
Tañhi dhuvaṃ na jīvitaṃ :candle:

Bhārā have pañcakkhandhā
Bhārahāro ca puggalo.
Bhārādānaṃ dukkhaṃ loke
Bhāra-nikkhepanaṃ sukhaṃ :candle:

Sabba-buddhānubhāvena, Sadā sotthī bhavantu te.
Sabba-dhammānubhāvena, Sadā sotthī bhavantu te.
Sabba-saṅghānubhāvena, Sadā sotthī bhavantu te.
Bhavatu sabba-maṅgalaṃ, Rakkhantu sabba-devatā :candle:

Perry

Postby Perry » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks everyone. The case garnered a lot of press attention in the end, and it is certainly highlighting a major issue in world politics, capital punishment and the inevitability that the state will kill an innocent person. Who knows whether Troy was innocent or guilty, however when you weigh up the doubt, there is a fair chance he was an innocent man, and in my opinion, it is bad enough for the state to kill people anyway, let alone with so many question marks about it.

However this reminds me of another fact: Bhutan and Cambodia are the only Buddhist-majority nations that have abolished capital punishment (although Sri Lanka have had a moratorium on the matter since 1976). But I believe that the Buddha was critical of capital punishment within the Tipitaka. Does anyone know why? Funnily, it seems that generally the more religious nations are more likely to have capital punishment to generally atheistic nations, I wonder if it is essentially a modern witch trial, "If they are innocent then they will go to heaven anyway", "If they are innocent they will have a happier rebirth anyway", etc. Just a thought.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:40 pm

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:11 pm

This is inviting speculation, but I was wondering: if you murder someone and then are imprisoned and executed by society as punishment for it, does that mitigate or have any effect on the kammic consequences of your action, compared to if you had gotten away with it?

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:22 pm

_/|\_

Perry

Postby Perry » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:29 am

Return to “Lounge”