Rev. Jason Carter

Seishin
Former staff member

Rev. Jason Carter

Post by Seishin »

Has anyone heard of Reverend Sensei Jason Carter? Claims to be a Buddhist Ajari Priest under a PureLand/Tendai lineage...
Chief Instructor
Venerable Nyingbu Wangdue
Compassionate Steadfast Subduer

Reverend Sensei (Jason Carter) was ordained by the most Venerable Master Sha Mai-ku Mu-Sunim as an Ajai Buddhist Priest under the 1200 year old Japanese Pure Land / Tendai Lineages. He is also an ordained Buddhistava under Karma Yeshe Wangpo in the Tibetan Kagyu lineage through the very Venerable Kenchen Thrangu Rinpoche of Katmandu, Nepal

Sensei Carter is also a Master Jujitsu Instructor with Black Belts in Nying Bulam Jujitsu, Seishindo & Shotokan Karate.
http://www.snowlion.kkbk.org/

Forgive my ignorance, but his teacher/precepters' name looks Korean. Is there a Japanese Tendai lineage in Korea?

Seishin.
Astus
Former staff member

Re: Rev. Jason Carter

Post by Astus »

The whole thing looks too bad to be true.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

I used to do martial arts.

Anyone who claims to have more than one black belt from multiple schools is almost always a big fake.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Not sure about that Huseng. Martial arts in the west have been so watered down that you can get a black belt within 5 years. And considering you only have 1 lesson a week, it's more than possible to gain 2 or 3 black belts in different styles within 10 years. So it's possible that his martial arts achievements are, for the most part, not fake.
However, I'd like to find out more about his Buddhist achievements.

Seishin.
Astus
Former staff member

Post by Astus »

Well, as for the Buddhist side, no harm is a principle and there are teachings against even possessing weapons, not to mention teaching people how to use them. All this energy put in punching and kicking could be used to perhaps print some Dharma materials, or translating sutras (if he knows any relevant languages), or perhaps just organising a zendo instead of a dojo.
1 Myriad dharmas are only mind.
Mind is unobtainable.
What is there to seek?

2 If the Buddha-Nature is seen,
there will be no seeing of a nature in any thing.

3 Neither cultivation nor seated meditation —
this is the pure Chan of Tathagata.

4 With sudden enlightenment to Tathagata Chan,
the six paramitas and myriad means
are complete within that essence.

1 Huangbo, T2012Ap381c1 2 Nirvana Sutra, T374p521b3; tr. Yamamoto 3 Mazu, X1321p3b23; tr. J. Jia 4 Yongjia, T2014p395c14; tr. from "The Sword of Wisdom"
justsit

Post by justsit »

The connection to ordination through Karma Kagyu is fishy. "Karma Yeshe Wangpo" is apparently a western student of Thrangu Rinpoche who studied at Gampo Abbey. That certainly doesn't qualify him to "ordain" anyone a "buddhistava" (sic), whatever that is.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I have no idea what to make of the Tendai claim there. I'm very skeptical. It would be worthwhile to ask him about it.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

I can't say anything about the Tendai, but what is an "ordained buddhistava" anyway?

Here's what I think.....he's taken "Bodhisattva Vows" from a disciple of V.V. Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche. And he feels this is some sort of "credential."

This whole thing seems "off the mark" to me.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

I took the time to read through his claims vis a vis Tendai. They're word salad. Here's what I mean:
Reverend Sensei (Jason Carter) was ordained by the most Venerable Master Sha Mai-ku Mu-Sunim as an Ajai Buddhist Priest under the 1200 year old Japanese Pure Land / Tendai Lineages.
Where to start? He's claiming to be an "Ajai Buddhist Priest." I am not familiar with such a title as "Ajai." He may mean Ajari, which is the Japanese version of Acharya. If he is claiming to be an Ajari, he is claiming substantial accomplishment and training, something like the Loppon or Khempo title in the Tibetan context. Mark me down as skeptical about this.

Second is the teacher he's claiming affiliation with. I have no idea who Sha Mai-ku Mu-Sunim is. Sunim is a Korean title, not a Japanese one. The name sounds like it wants to be Chinese though. Which is to say it sounds like make-believe. Who is this person...

...and to what tradition or institution does he or she belong? Tendai? Jodo-shu? Pure Land practices surely exist in Tendai-shu (I do them myself)... but that's not the same as saying there is some mixed Tendai / Pure Land tradition out and about. There isn't. (Analogy: Nyingmapas may pray for rebirth in Dewachen, but that is a Nyingma practice done in a Nyingma context, not a mix of Nyingma and Pure Land "lineages." Similarly, Tendai PL practice is Tendai practice; there's no institutional or doctrinal distinction made there. Make sense?)

By the way, has anyone asked him about any of this? Here's the email address listed on the site: [email protected]
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

<deleted post made in poor taste> :toilet:
Last edited by DGA on Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Thanks Jikan, and you are right. I should have asked him first before speculating and gossiping. Very un-buddhist of me :oops:

I have now e-mailed him and hopefully he can get back to me soon.

Seishin.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

He may not be a spiritual teacher but hey, if people are really pissing you off, maybe he could teach you to beat the crap out of them.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Jikan wrote:I took the time to read through his claims vis a vis Tendai. They're word salad. Here's what I mean:
Reverend Sensei (Jason Carter) was ordained by the most Venerable Master Sha Mai-ku Mu-Sunim as an Ajai Buddhist Priest under the 1200 year old Japanese Pure Land / Tendai Lineages.
Where to start? He's claiming to be an "Ajai Buddhist Priest." I am not familiar with such a title as "Ajai." He may mean Ajari, which is the Japanese version of Acharya. If he is claiming to be an Ajari, he is claiming substantial accomplishment and training, something like the Loppon or Khempo title in the Tibetan context. Mark me down as skeptical about this.
A while ago I found a Buddhist group in America that teaches to Ajari level and although they are a Pureland group, they include Tendai in their teaching http://hongakujodo.tripod.com/hibs/id9.html

Interestingly though, Mahavajra Francis Lapine, has stated this was the group he is ordained under. http://www.akashatay.com/about.html

Seishin.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Oh, now I understand. That group that identifies as Tendai/Pure Land is an independent school that I know next to nothing about except that they exist and they're not affiliated with anyone else. So at least we have that much.

I was going to guess he was involved with Lepine or with Stephen Hayes.

Thanks Seishin! And please do keep us posted on what you find.
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

Well, it's been a while and so far, no reply to my e-mail.

I'll keep you posted if anything changes.

Seishin.

Return to “Tendai”