Rajapadanam sasanam- the king is the first donor

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Earth Dragon

Rajapadanam sasanam- the king is the first donor

Postby Earth Dragon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:16 am

How to make Buddhism flourish again amongst humans? 

To cut the story short, in my opinion Buddhism has flourished only when it has strong State( government ) support. 
For example Asoka the Great, who made Buddhism international. And Trisong Deutsen, who brought Buddhism to Tibet.
And the rulers of Northen Chin dynasty, who fought wars to bring Buddhism to China.
And many more.... 

It seems to me that in term of government/politics and Buddhism, there have been 2 type of people , who have made things happen.
1) kings, governors or merchants, who strongly support Buddhism and want Buddhism to flourish
2) simple Buddhist, who by using skillful means, convince the rulers and the influential in society to support Buddhism
Or perheaps the both at the same time....

Even tough Dharma has spread around the globe, in my honest opinion it has much deteriorated. Myself is an example of this. I m a Buddhist, i like Buddhism, i study Buddhism, but compared to the ancient ones i am much less in many ways.

The world has changed soooooooo much in the last few centuries, but how much has Buddhism changed? It is true it has speread and now we have Buddhism in the West as well (or remains of what there used to be). But besides this, are there new teachings emerging, new philosophers, greater temples, Buddhist univeristies. And most importantly, are there more people who live and breathe Dharma? 

So my point is- we can clearly see that Buddha Dharma has been successful at times when Government sponsors the overall spreading of Buddhism. 
In Pali language there is even a saying- rajapadanam sasanam ( the first donor is the king ). 
This line was told to me by a Burmese monk ( one of few countries where buddhism is still popular and practiced, but also deteriorating).

We live in a global age of rapid changes and we can not predict what is ahead. According to prophecies, nothing good in coming near future.

Regardless to this fact, would it not be great if Buddhism would flourish again ( I do not consider buddhism spreading globally already flourishing ). But how? 

Surely it can not be in the same form as traditional Buddhism in Tibet, China, India or anywhere else. It should be a somehow revolutionized version, which is done under the guidance of old lamas, sifus, teachers, monks and scholars. In my opinion, computers and IT have much to do with the changes... 

But most importantly, it is the government regulatory body who must have the right attitude and approach. Then the rest of the society will follow....

What is needed from a goverment?
1) tons of money to do buddhist projects
2) government should appoint the right people in charge of this sort of activities, Buddhist who are efficient (Guru Rinpoche for example ) 

So which government has the potential and muscles to do so? 
America? No 
 India? No
China? ......?

In my opinion , China is ripe to engage with Buddhism. As a matter of fact, they are already the biggest Buddhist donors, but much of their Buddhism is very political and in opposition with Dalai.

But china has all the preconditions to become a major  Buddhist state.
They can t stop people to be religious as they are open to international trade and Tianmen square would not work anymore. The motivation for them to support Buddhism is to avoid the rapid growth if christianity and islam in china, which are considered alien cultures and too mixed with origin countries.

Surely china has enough funds to make buddhism big again ....

Chinese have had a religious vacuum for decades but in recent decade, people have become more and more interested  in Buddhism ( a fact that i have personally witnessed ).

Chinese buddhism is very rich, if we consider Tibetan buddhism as part if chinese buddhism.

And lets face it, it is ridiculous to even think that china is ever going to give tibet back. And they are a leading superpower, so what is the point of protesting and yelling - " free tibet ". 
Does not buddhism teach us not to engage with illusions? 

So the main point of this long story is- in my opinion, experience and analysis, China has the strongest potential to become a major state donor for Buddhism, which allows to realize new and innovative changes in Buddhism, resulting the popularization and general understanding and practice of Buddhism.

I m open to all ideas and suggestions....

Konchog1

Re: Rajapadanam sasanam- the king is the first donor

Postby Konchog1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:01 am

Welcome to the Kali Yuga, the Dark Age.

I think the best we can do is become masters ourselves and influence those around us.

Many of you know what I'm talking about. The master's presence, his charisma that causes you to heed his words.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats

Konchog1

Postby Konchog1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:56 am

Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

Salomon

Postby Salomon » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:49 pm

Very interesting Topic, Thank you for this.

I know a friend who is from China and he is working for the government. And guess what, he is completely interested in the Dharma, just recently due to what I have experienced.
He was already in the knowledge of the Dharma, but from my example, he has been much more into it now.

I also believe that our example will change people around us if we live the teaching.

You have somehow convinced me that China may become important for Buddhism, it sounds right from what you have shared.

Can you Earth Dragon say a little bit more about the Dark Age and what would be the reasons why it will get worse?

Thank you

Poorbitch

Postby Poorbitch » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 am

blom blah blum

deepbluehum

Postby deepbluehum » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Even today rich Taiwanese are the main sponsors of all kinds of Buddhism. But who do they sponsor? The higher lamas. If we want others to spread the wealth, it is our responsibility to attain realization. Then of course the wealthy will benefit and give donation to support dharma.

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:01 pm

purple rose
Founding Member

Postby purple rose » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:10 pm

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Karma Dondrup Tashi

Postby Karma Dondrup Tashi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Pero

Postby Pero » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:51 pm

Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar

wisdom

Postby wisdom » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 pm

I have mixed feelings about China. I don't want innocent people to suffer, but I want the Chinese government to come to an end. I want their political power scattered to the winds. I want their wealth to collapse and vanish like smoke. I want those responsible for the perpetuation of the many horrors they have inflicted on people to come to the realization that what they are doing is severely in error, I want them to feel remorse for what they've done so they can develop real compassion for others and stop perpetuating pointless suffering.

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:19 pm

nevermind, stayin out.
Last edited by Johnny Dangerous on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"it must be coming from the mouthy mastermind of raunchy rapper, Johnny Dangerous”

-Jeff H.

Konchog1

Postby Konchog1 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:46 pm

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”