Health Impact of Celibacy

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lotus_Bitch

Re: Health Impact of Celibacy

Postby Lotus_Bitch » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:30 am

Many meditators know how to meditate,
But only a few know how to dismantle [mental clinging].
- Je Gyare

Jnana

Postby Jnana » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:26 am

Yudron

Postby Yudron » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 am

I think you have a good point, Jnana. I often don't notice what sub-forum I am in because I come in to the site through via the list of unread posts.
Author of Buddhist young adult fiction. Vlogger at Wisdom and Compassion: Grandma Yudron's Totally Chill Vlog on Meditation and Tibetan Wisdom Blogger at Very active on Twitter.

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 am

Well, this is officially your original post Yudron, did you intend it in this subforum or did you begin it elsewhere and it was moved?

Either way Jnana, Yudron began the thread asking about health benefits and long life as a result of celibacy or celibacy as a detriment to this: specifically referring to and asking about medical studies. I thought that was an interesting topic.

Usually in a thread we defer to the Original Post and it's intent when discussing if it has been sidetracked, etc.
If it is in the wrong forum, a mod should consider moving it.

However, the thread took a turn from the OP to a dogmatic declaration about celibacy being the only true approach to Dharma practice. If Yudron is OK with that this is fine, but considering that Vajrayana and Dzogchen are also types of Mahayana practice (which is naturally why it is here in a Mahayana Buddhist forum in the first place) it is not out of place to refute Huseng's dogmatic statements by simply asking him to respect that there are other valid expressions of Mahayana Dharma. I do not disagree that promotion of celibacy is one important way that the Dharma is approached and expressed, but it is not the default Mahayana method as I explained in my previous posts. I cited Mahayana vows (bodhisattva vows) and aspirations (six perfections) as well as Vajrayana and Dzogchen views, for the record. :smile:
Last edited by Adamantine on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:21 am

Yudron

Postby Yudron » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:52 am

Oh yeah... I started this thread!

As I recall, I wanted there to be a general "health" forum, instead of an "alternative health" forum, to put it in. But, I put it in Mahayana because if I put it in the Vajrayana section it would exclude people from other traditions from taking part in the discussion. I'm okay with it being derailed from the topic, because I think we established that there is not much scientific evidence behind the claims people make about celibacy being good or bad for one's health.

I want to stress in any discussion about sexuality and Dharma, I am not addressing completion stage practices. Nor will I discuss our tantric samayas as regards sexuality. I personally feel these are inappropriate topics for an on-line forum.

We who do longer Vajrayana retreats do have the experience of extended periods of celibacy, so often there is a lot more talk about sex among yogis and yoginis than there is action... that is true. How one handles one's sexuality between retreats is a deeply individual decision that one makes based on one's own constitution, and (in a best case scenario) in consultation with one's teacher. In our community, I have observed that the lamas value a strong relationship between two practitioners, as a support for practice... in a really practical human way. Lamas sometimes even play matchmaker for both their Tibetan and their Western students.

:hug:

In general, when it comes to systems of human support for practitioners, some lamas (especially those who have themselves been monks in the past) see less hypocrisy in a simple relationship between two loving adults than in the Tibetan monastic system.
Author of Buddhist young adult fiction. Vlogger at Wisdom and Compassion: Grandma Yudron's Totally Chill Vlog on Meditation and Tibetan Wisdom Blogger at Very active on Twitter.

Jnana

Postby Jnana » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:54 am

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:31 am

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:44 am

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:14 am

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:28 am

Last edited by JKhedrup on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:57 am

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Adamantine
Former staff member

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:57 pm

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:34 pm

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:46 pm

tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |

Indrajala

Postby Indrajala » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:59 pm

tad etat sarvajñānaṃ karuṇāmūlaṃ bodhicittahetukam upāyaparyavasānam iti |

YogaDude11

Postby YogaDude11 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 pm

So far in this thread everyone is quoting scripture and posting interpretations and opinions. Maybe people should share their experience with celibacy, that might be more useful.

Karma Dorje

Postby Karma Dorje » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:14 pm

Time and again I hear in this thread the (rather uninformed) view from promoters of celibacy that marriage is some sort of extended sex party, some even saying that ordinary couples are different only in degree to sex addicts. By the same logic one can say that one who takes food once a day is only different in degree from a glutton or that someone taking a glass of wine with dinner is only different in degree with alcoholics.

The fact of the matter is for most committed married practitioners, sex is an almost insignificant part of one's life. Very little time is spent obsessing over it or engaging in it, particularly compared to the countless hours one spends serving one's partner and children, cooking for them, instructing them, listening to their problems and offering advice, meditating with them, etc. This is not lost time! This is the practice in daily life.

To say "Well Padmasambhava, Saraha, Machig and others were special beings, we are not like them" is unfortunate. Neither are we like Shantarakshita or Gampopa, but that does not stop us from practicing the path that they prescribe. What matters is the path we are engaged in under the supervision of our gurus. All the rest is irrelevant.

Sexual desire is not so simple to excise from one's life by mere abstinence. If it was, all eunuchs would be arhats. It is a struggle regardless of the path one chooses.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava

Sherlock

Postby Sherlock » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:15 pm

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”