YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Is everything Suffering? - Page 7 - Dhamma Wheel

Is everything Suffering?

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
BuddhaKurt

Re: Is everything Suffering?

Postby BuddhaKurt » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:16 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:25 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:00 pm

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:08 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:20 pm

"Beautifully taught is the Lord's Dhamma, immediately apparent, timeless, of the nature of a personal invitation, progressive, to be attained by the wise, each for himself." Anguttara Nikaya V.332

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:34 pm

No problem Prasadachitta!

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

BuddhaKurt

Postby BuddhaKurt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 am

It seems to me, there is a whole lot of clinging going on here. Specifically, "View clinging."
"And what is clinging/sustenance? These four are clingings: sensuality clinging, view clinging, precept & practice clinging, and doctrine of self clinging. This is called clinging.

If you are clinging, you are allowing the chain to continue. This keeps you tied to a world of suffering.
"From the six sense media as a requisite condition comes contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress & suffering."

If you get a thought (contact) like, "This BuddhaKurt doesn't know what he is talking about," you get a feeling which is some form of anger. If left to continue, the feeling leads to craving (and desire). You get the desire to prove your point. That means thoughts like, "He doesn't know what he's talking about and I do. Let me set him straight." If left to continue, additional thoughts might enter such as, "What can I quote him or tell him to prove he's an idiot." So, before you know it, you have advanced to clinging. Clinging to your view. Clinging pulls you out of the current moment, into memories. And when this sort of thing is going on all the time, clinging leads to becoming which leads to stress and suffering.

If I get a thought like, "Ben really was mean," and an angry feeling is about to strike, I am able to cut it off right there. It doesn't progress to craving, to clinging, to becoming, to stress and suffering. I remain in the current moment, happy, content and stress-free.

alan

Postby alan » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:22 am

I don't believe you. I think you are presenting yourself in a fraudulent manner.
And I think you are deeply delusional.

santa100

Postby santa100 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:48 pm

It's ok to present one's point of view or argument with back up evidence and logic if one doesn't agree with the other person's argument. Just have to make sure one tackles the idea, not the person. That's healthy debate. Saying things like "you're full of s..." or "you're a fraud", etc..is not appropriate because one's attacking the person, not his/her idea..

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:27 pm

Here is interesting thing. Truth of Dukkha can be present even if there is no citta present.

In Vibhaṅgapāḷi PTS 419 when it talks about Asaññasattā devā it says that one truth appears, truth of Dukkha "ekaṃ saccaṃ pātubhavati – dukkhasaccaṃ;"
and that it can be even if one is without contact, feeling, perceptions, intention, mind.
"aphassakā avedanakā asaññakā acetanakā acittakā"

Interesting. So dukkha includes far more than depression, anxiety, fear and other mental states. Aggregate of form (Rūpakkhandho) the only aggregate present in that state of being, is itself dukkha.

And so even Arahants experience that kind of dukkha that is inherent in having the body rūpakkhandho.
"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Alex123

Postby Alex123 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:01 pm

"Life is a struggle. Life will throw curveballs at you, it will humble you, it will attempt to break you down. And just when you think things are starting to look up, life will smack you back down with ruthless indifference..."

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:34 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:04 pm

Prasadachitta

Postby Prasadachitta » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:10 pm

BuddhaKurt

Postby BuddhaKurt » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:28 am

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:20 am

I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

DarwidHalim

Postby DarwidHalim » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:34 am

I am not here nor there.
I am not right nor wrong.
I do not exist neither non-exist.
I am not I nor non-I.
I am not in samsara nor nirvana.
To All Buddhas, I bow down for the teaching of emptiness. Thank You!

dreamov

Postby dreamov » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:14 pm

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”