Book Suggestion

Hickersonia

Book Suggestion

Post by Hickersonia »

Hello friends,

I'm looking for some reading material, in particular the "Pure Land Sutras," in a non-electronic media (in other words, a book). While I have a number of books and sutras saved to the computer, I have found that PDFs and webpages, unless very short, are incredibly difficult to keep my eyes on for long periods of time and I do not have my own e-reader (or similar device). And the fact is: if I have a book, I read it.

As I understand it, any such collection should include, at least, the following sutras:
*The Larger Sutra on Amitāyus
*The Sutra on Contemplation of Amitāyus
*The Smaller Sutra on Amitāyus

Are there other sutras that focus on the Pure Lands?

I've found some books online via amazon.com, at least one of which appears to be what I'm looking for...

That said, I wanted to see if anyone here has any suggestions on what they feel is the best translation or edition, and why if possible, before spending any money (of which I have a rather limited supply).

Are there any other books that you might suggest on the subject of Pure Land Buddhism?

In case it matters to the discussion, I'm frequenting a Vietnamese temple, so while "commentary" books don't have to relate directly to the practices in that country, it wouldn't hurt. I've heard books by Thich Nhat Hanh could be helpful, and am interested in reading more of his work (I've read Living Buddha, Living Christ, but otherwise have focused my attention on components of the Pali Cannon for my study).

Anything is helpful, so don't hold back. :) Thanks!
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

Nam mô A di đà Phật!
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Book Suggestion

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

The BDK book you have linked is a good one. Also consider these 3 or 4 titles from YMBA - they are free (if they are in stock).

http://www.ymba.org/freebooks_main.html
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
plwk

Post by plwk »

In the Chinese Pure Land Tradition, besides the 3 main Sutras on Amitabha Buddha & Sukhavati, there are 2 others as well: 1 & 2
(For no.2, if you want another more affordable option, try this , as this book contains both the actual Sutra in bilingual English/Chinese text and also the Chinese Mahayana Flower Adornment Repentance ritual, also in bilingual text. The old version of the complete collection with commentary on the Flower Adornment Sutra used to be for sale but alas not available online now, where one can buy them separately by chapter or as a complete collection). Another Sutra that may interest you is the Pratyutpanna Samadhi Sutra

On the Bhaisajyaguru Buddha and His Vaidūryanirbhāsa: 1 & 2 (With regards to no.2, the book is available here )

On Akshobya Buddha: 1 (This is worth getting as it also has other precious Sutras, about 22 out of 49 of the Maharatnakuta Sutra collection and on Akshobya Buddha, it's on Chapter 17, page 315)

On Avalokitesvara Bodhisattva, there are many texts on Him, so what I have done is collect as many as I can and print out the online translations of the various texts into my own book form. One most popular text on Him in East Asian Mahayana is here & here for instance

On Arya Tara and other Tantric figures like Vajrayogini and her Kechara, you can try asking the Vajrayana crowd...
Are there any other books that you might suggest on the subject of Pure Land Buddhism?
Plenty here and here
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

This commentary on the small Amitabha Sutra by Master Hua is very good:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... abha+Sutra
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

The Amitabha Sutra short version is short enough to print on your home. Sometimes i will print small books. For example, i have a printed version of Pratyutpana Sutra.

Just an idea.
Hickersonia

Post by Hickersonia »

I thank you all for the great suggestions!
Nosta wrote:The Amitabha Sutra short version is short enough to print on your home. Sometimes i will print small books. For example, i have a printed version of Pratyutpana Sutra.

Just an idea.
I'll certainly consider it if I complete my current text prior to acquiring the next one (I still have a few weeks, by my estimate). I'm just trying to avoid printing anything that would ultimately result in a duplicate copy afterward. :)
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."

Nam mô A di đà Phật!

Return to “Pure Land”