YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Sri Lanka Buddhist monks destroy Muslim shrine - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

Sri Lanka Buddhist monks destroy Muslim shrine

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
morning mist

Re: Sri Lanka Buddhist monks destroy Muslim shrine

Postby morning mist » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:16 pm

with metta,

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:24 pm

He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:28 pm

Actually, morning mist, I have not attacked anyone. Could you show me the words were I attacked someone here?

I have no idea what you are talking about with this double standards thing. We are speaking about a monk leading a mob to destroy a place of worship for other people. Is this a good thing, on the face of it? Now, a new member says it's all a lie but doesn't provide any sources. Maybe he is right, I don't know. I wasn't there.

What I do see though is a great deal of identification with Sri Lanka and the Buddhist establishment, what I called tribalism - "us" versus "them".

I am not interested in bashing anyone. One of my best friends is srilankan, an old University friend was srilankan, I hope to visit the country one day and have nothing but good will for all of its people.
_/|\_

Claudia

Postby Claudia » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:12 pm

At the moment, the question on justice seems to overstrain me a little.
For many years, I worked for an international Human Rights Organisation and I still volunteer at the refugee council.
I made many experiences, I experienced many times that sometimes I felt to be on my limit of tolerance and when I tried to exeed my limits, I feld upcoming anger about injustice.

I have no solution in my head how to solve the probably world wide problem about "religious injustice". I supported refugees, who were hunted and enslaved and abused as children for military actions....and when I heared about their biographies, either I had the feeling my heart is going to breake or I had the feeling of upcoming anger because of all this injustice.

Of course, I can write only about my personal way but for myself I found out that the way "Metta for myself" is helpful for me not to judge in anger. First of all, I try very hard to fight against all my kilesas.

Of course, I think the "good" way is when every nation tolerates every religion and it would hurt me to see if people destroy a Buddha statue.

So my question in this matter is: what is the right (peaceful) way for us who practice the Dhamma to support the freedom of religion in this world?
Many greetings from

Claudia

Dhammavaro

Postby Dhammavaro » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:18 pm

Muslim shrine, Bodh gaya,Vatican City, Muslim,Hindu,Buddhist = Anicca .
^^The Greatest Gift to Buddha, our Parents, our teacher..is to open the eye of dhamma^^

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:26 pm

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:46 pm

_/|\_

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 pm

Bodhisurfer

Postby Bodhisurfer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya

santa100

Postby santa100 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:11 pm

Skeptic

Postby Skeptic » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:43 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened in Myanmar or even in Thailand. But in Sri Lanka Muslims and Buddhists had generally good relationships, they suffered together in Tamil dominated areas, and fought against them during the civil war in the country. As far as I know about Sri Lanka, Muslims are mostly loyal and Islamic fundamentalism is not widespread among local Muslims. After the Muslims have been expelled from Tamil dominated areas, they were accepted with no problems in Sinhalese cities. Tamil dominated areas were ethnically cleansed completely during the war, on the other side many Sinhalese areas have remained ethnically mixed, full of Tamils and Muslims, so this violent act is very surprising for me.

pilgrim

Postby pilgrim » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:26 am

Nicro

Postby Nicro » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:41 am

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:47 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:43 am

Sadly, for some reason Islam cannot be talked about here without the conversation degenerating into less than wholesome speech. Islam deserves better than that, but there is, i am afraid, no place this thread is going but down. For right now best to bring it to a halt.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”