Investigating fake lamas

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Knotty Veneer

Re: Investigating fake lamas

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Stewart wrote:[

I have definelty seen it implied that Ole is linked with Bernagchen, as in he is/is and emanation of him...so it is out there somewhere.
Just doing a bit more research on this on the internet this morning – it’s not so black and white. I think Diamondway uses the term “Mahakala” to refer to any type of Dharma Protector. Nydahl clearly identifies as a Dharma Protector (as we read in the Nydahl student Burkhar Scherer’s article which was the topic for another thread on DW). He sees himself as performing the activity of a Dharma Protector (which I suppose makes him some sort of emanation in his own eyes) in respect of the Karma Kagyu lineage. This is not something I have ever heard claimed by any other teacher in any other lineage. It adds a useful supernatural element to Nydahl’s persona, though.
This is not the wrong life.
Harold

Post by Harold »

So can a dharmapala emanate or incarnate in human form or only thorough a kuten, an oracle?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Depends.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Harold wrote:So can a dharmapala emanate or incarnate in human form or only thorough a kuten, an oracle?
Well, I think it depends who you ask.

My understanding is that worldly protectors (i.e. unenlightened protectors who are local spirits and not emanations of great Bodhisattvas) communicate only through an oracle (e.g. nechung, tenma etc.). Wisdom Protectors may appear in visions to great lamas but do not incarnate as such.

Those who follow D**** S****** claim he is enlightened and so his oracle would be an example of supposed wisdom protector speaking through an oracle.

Nydahl’s claim to be some sort of physical representation of the activity of Karma Kagyu Dharma Protectors is as far as I know unprecedented. Although it is still not entirely clear what he claims to be to me at this point.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

Wasn't one of Tulku Urgyen's uncles considered an incarnation of Mahakala?
Harold

Post by Harold »

There are Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who are supposedly dharmapalas, i.e. Mahakala.

Could they emanate as human beings?
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Harold wrote:There are Buddhas and Bodhisattvas who are supposedly dharmapalas, i.e. Mahakala.

Could they emanate as human beings?
It appears they can. In Rainbow Painting p. 102 Tulku Urgyen’s uncle Samten Gyatso is described as an emanation of 4-armed Mahakala.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

That's why I said "Depends". If they are a fully enlightened being then there is no reason for them to not emanate as a human being (or any other kind of being). If they are not full enlightened then they have to recourse to possession to "manifest" in a form we can perceive. That's the logic behind the deal, now whether you buy it or not is up to you.
:namaste:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

First, "Emanating as a human being" is not the same as "manifesting through an oracle."

Second, I don't know if Ole considers himself to be "Bernagchen," but the stuff I've seen on the 'net leads me to believe that many of his students think he is. There's no clear and explicit supporting evidence I've seen. But frankly, anyone who practices Bernagchen at a certain level "manifests as Bernagchen." I'm not sure how important this whole issue is, to people who are not Diamond Way students...unless one is trying to build a case against them, or against Ole, and frankly there are far better ways to go about that aim. I'm not saying anything new here.....

Third, Enlightened Beings, which category includes supramundane protectors like the various forms of Mahakala, do not manifest through oracles. If one has seen an instance of a manifestation through an oracle, one will understand this is an inelegant and somewhat clumsy way of communicating. Enlightened Beings would not bother, in my opinion. (My opinion, for the record, is borne out by all the Lamas I've listened to, met, and heard teach).
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

conebeckham wrote:First, "Emanating as a human being" is not the same as "manifesting through an oracle."
Yes, I am aware of that, that's why I referred to possession as a mode of "manifestation" (in quotation marks).

conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Agreed, Greg....we're on the same page, I think. Just wanted to reinforce your point. :twothumbsup:
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Harold

Post by Harold »

I know highly realized Masters such as the Karmapa, Sakyapa and the Dalai Lama can find and recognize TULKUS.

Who would and how would you find and recognized a DHARMAPALA in human form?

Is it even possible?

Remember, I'm not talking about a Kuten an Oracle but a real living and breathing HUMAN DHARMAPALA?

Would a candidate be tested in the same way as a person is for the official position of Kuten.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Back to the topic of touching:

some years ago my wife and I attended a teaching by the great master Garchen Rinpoche. We had been, shall we say, "working through some unresolved issues." I had the aspiration in my heart that we should get along better, be more patient with each other, cooperate better, communicate better, that sort of stuff.

After the teaching, we crossed paths with Rinpoche and one of his attendants. He motioned us toward him with his hands and smiled. We approached, and he held each of us by the arm for several seconds with his eyes shut tight.

There's more to the story but the short version is that we get along much better now.

This and other experiences have taught me that there's value in being willing to be close to a teacher you trust, close enough to touch.

:heart:
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Harold wrote:I know highly realized Masters such as the Karmapa, Sakyapa and the Dalai Lama can find and recognize TULKUS.

Who would and how would you find and recognized a DHARMAPALA in human form?

Is it even possible?

Remember, I'm not talking about a Kuten an Oracle but a real living and breathing HUMAN DHARMAPALA?

Would a candidate be tested in the same way as a person is for the official position of Kuten.

I've heard, from his teacher, that David, in Vermont, is a Gyalpo. Does that count? :smile:
CrawfordHollow

Post by CrawfordHollow »

Knowing David, and Ontul Rinpoche, I must say that is pretty funny.
Inge

Post by Inge »

I have heard that all who practice the dharma are called dharma protectors.
heart

Post by heart »

Jikan wrote:Back to the topic of touching:

some years ago my wife and I attended a teaching by the great master Garchen Rinpoche. We had been, shall we say, "working through some unresolved issues." I had the aspiration in my heart that we should get along better, be more patient with each other, cooperate better, communicate better, that sort of stuff.

After the teaching, we crossed paths with Rinpoche and one of his attendants. He motioned us toward him with his hands and smiled. We approached, and he held each of us by the arm for several seconds with his eyes shut tight.

There's more to the story but the short version is that we get along much better now.

This and other experiences have taught me that there's value in being willing to be close to a teacher you trust, close enough to touch.

Nice story Jikan. :heart:

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

heart wrote:
Jikan wrote:Back to the topic of touching:

Nice story Jikan. :heart:

/magnus
:good: :twothumbsup:

ob
Harold

Post by Harold »

Are their Kutens that have shown a higher level of time that they are possessed by the Dharmapala then most Kutens?

Have any shown a possible inner twining of their life energy with the Dharmapala's ?

In a sense they have become to some greater degree, ONE ?
TsultimNamdak

Post by TsultimNamdak »

Hello all. I am new here. :namaste: I just came across this discussion here and thought I'll contribute.

Regarding Ole's claims of being Mahakala, he says so himself here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNxA0yKeMGM (Whether it is Bernagchen or not is not clear but I would say that it is implied).

I used to know Ole a little way back. Around '91 I was present at a teaching with Tsechu Rinpoche; Hannah was translating and Ole was present. Tsechu Rinpoche gave the advice to Ole's students that even though Ole was not a tulku (TR's words), it was ok for his students to regard him as one. In those days, Ole didn't go around calling himself lama or tulku - the title he used, as far as I remember, was "Buddhist master", although he had started cultivating the Mahakala thing back then. His self-image and the myths he builds up around himself seems to be perpetually evolving.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”