YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

New Bhikkhu Bodhi Interview - Page 4 - Dhamma Wheel

New Bhikkhu Bodhi Interview

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Ben

Re: New Bhikkhu Bodhi Interview

Postby Ben » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:54 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:15 pm

In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

morning mist

Postby morning mist » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:52 pm

with metta,

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi Jhana4,

Thank you very much for starting this topic. It has been very useful for me to reflect on these issues.

One thing that has become clear to me is that for some time Bhikkhu Bodhi's actions in encouraging his students to set up Buddhist Global Relief http://www.buddhistglobalrelief.org/act ... story.html have
made me feel uncomfortable. Not because I disagree with the actions, but because they make me realise how often I take a very self-centred ("I'm alright Jack") attitude towards the world.

Like me, Bhikkhu Bodhi doesn't have to do this stuff. It would be much easier for him to just relax in his monastery, giving the occasional Dhamma talk, and congratulating himself on completing the translation of three major Nikayas...

:anjali:
Mike

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:05 pm

morning mist

Postby morning mist » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Bhikkhu Bodhi didn't initiate the Buddhist Global Relief Project a few years after his ordination and continue on with various project from that time forward. These projects started over two decades after he ordained. We can't say that not enough time was set aside . After two decades, if a monk wanted to start on dhamma or compassionate work we should leave him alone.

When it comes to monks who just ordained a few years and start getting into all kinds of distracting projects from then on then that is a totally different story.
with metta,

morning mist

Postby morning mist » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:21 pm

with metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:23 pm

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

ancientbuddhism

Postby ancientbuddhism » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:27 pm

This is one of the most ridicules digressions in a forum I have seen for some time.

Is Theravāda selfish? The reality could be mixed.

When on alms-round in BKK I often would pass by the homeless, and would give them offerings right out of my bowl. I was admonished for this by senior bhikkhus, that the laity did not like seeing this because they give to bhikkhus to make merit and think this merit is diminished when the offering is not consumed by the bhikkhu, which is purely superstitious bunk. Yet at the wat, and after the morning meal, we all gave excess food to the temple boys and beggars who came by.

As far as I know, the Washington Buddhist Vihāra (home to B. Bodhi in his early years) still provides a feast on Thanksgiving for the homeless, coordinated and distributed by the monks.

The attitude I have personally received from senior bhikkhus toward humanitarian-aid in general has been that the Saṅgha should not get involved. But there are many cases of bhikkhus, famous and obscure, who help meet needs locally or extended; and these efforts may be received by the public with either praise or blame depending. One endeavor which receives mixed feelings in Thailand is Wat Phra Baht Nam Phu in Lopburi which offers a on-site hospice program for those dying of AIDS; much of the Saṅgha disapproves and the Thai government is embarrassed by an effort which they ignore, otherwise the laity are sympathetic generally.

From what I see, Theravāda has a great deal of support and facility, and even though this is shared somewhat ad-hoc, if the effort could be organized and coordinated between its institutions the result could be amazing.
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

SDC

Postby SDC » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:07 am

morning mist

Postby morning mist » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:14 am

with metta,

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:42 am

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Jhana4

Postby Jhana4 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:45 am

In reading the scriptures, there are two kinds of mistakes:
One mistake is to cling to the literal text and miss the inner principles.
The second mistake is to recognize the principles but not apply them to your own mind, so that you waste time and just make them into causes of entanglement.

SDC

Postby SDC » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:59 am

morning mist

Postby morning mist » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:08 am

with metta,

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:17 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:18 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:23 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:51 am

Dan74

Postby Dan74 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:54 am

Last edited by Dan74 on Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
_/|\_

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”