Apologies, if deemed necessary by the e-sangha

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Jainarayan

Apologies, if deemed necessary by the e-sangha

Post by Jainarayan »

As I indicated in my introductory post, I come from a Hindu perspective. I am primarily Vaishnava with some Shaiva thrown in (actually I see Vishnu and Shiva as flip sides of the same coin); I am exploring Buddhism. At first I thought d.i.y. vajrayāna was possible but in the few weeks I've been studying things, I know now that's impossible, and what vajrayāna is. To adopt and be empowered in vajrayāna would be in total conflict with Hinduism, as was pointed out to me, and I've since learned why. But there are elements of vajrayāna, mahāyāna and other schools that do mesh nicely with Vaishnava, Shaiva and Shakta Hinduism, don't require empowerment and are not contradictory.

That said, I'd like to offer apologies if it seems I am on a crusade to proselytize Hinduism, which I'm certainly not. ;) I am learning a lot from reading here, and sometimes I think a Hindu perspective might contribute to a conversation, considering I don't have a lot to contribute from a Buddhist perspective. So, I hope no one is offended by my posts. My primary reason for saying all that is because of gun-shyness. At another forum, to bring up another particular religion and use the "J.C.-word" (by anyone) as contrast and comparison would make WWII look like a love-in (now I'm really dating myself :tongue: ). So I hope that my Hindu perspective doesn't elicit the same responses (those people "over there" are too sensitive anyway :roll: ).

Thanks. :namaste:
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
oṃ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya
rose
Site Admin

Re: Apologies, if deemed necessary by the e-sangha

Post by rose »

As long as it is understood that this is a forum for discussing Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism and the Terms of Service are adhered to, especially in this case the following:
2. Do not be disruptive

Dharma Wheel is an environment for the discussion of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. All are welcome but are required to abide by the TOS. Special forums have been created for special areas of interest so please respect these boundaries. Dharma Wheel administrators and moderators reserve the right to edit inappropriate content, and to remove or transfer any posts or threads that are not relevant to the sub-forum in which they are posted. Any subject matter that may be off-topic or is intended only to cause disruption or harm to others may be removed without notice. This includes the badmouthing of other Buddhist discussion forums, trolling and proselytizing.

- This is not a "comparative religion site", it is a site to learn and discuss the Buddha's teachings without animosity.
- In support of this:

* Badmouthing of other spiritual paths is not allowed.
* Proselyting / evangelizing other paths, which includes, for example, arguing that some other path is superior to the Buddhist path is not allowed.
then it should not be a problem.
Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

Thanks. :smile:
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Alfredo

Post by Alfredo »

May I add that like most students of Buddhism, I appreciate Hinduism very much. No serious Buddhologist would neglect other Indic religions, any more than a Christian theologian could avoid Judaism. Whether we are speaking of common cosmological and liturgical underpinnings, mutual influence among the great philosophers, or the impact of modern figures like Gandhi or the Dalai Lama, the family resemblance is obvious. Of course the differences are equally significant, but we have much to learn from one another, and whole civilizations to discover. On that note, having just finished watching the Chopra Mahabharat TV seriesand the ISKCON Little Krishna series, I feel like a different person at the end than at the beginning (as Ganesh promises will happen--and an insight not without some Buddhist resonance!)
(no longer participating on this board)
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

Hi, Jainarayan,
For my part, you are very welcome here. :smile:
Your thread title made me wonder what your post was about, however, for a reason which you may not be aware of: "e-sangha" was in fact the name of a Buddhist forum and some folk here are still somewhat traumatised by its acrimonious disintegration a few years ago.
This forum and its Theravadin partner (see link at the bottom of the page) were set up partly in response to those problems and (thanks, mods!) are much nicer to be around.

:namaste:
Kim
Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

Kim O'Hara wrote:Hi, Jainarayan,
For my part, you are very welcome here. :smile:
Your thread title made me wonder what your post was about, however, for a reason which you may not be aware of: "e-sangha" was in fact the name of a Buddhist forum and some folk here are still somewhat traumatised by its acrimonious disintegration a few years ago.
This forum and its Theravadin partner (see link at the bottom of the page) were set up partly in response to those problems and (thanks, mods!) are much nicer to be around.

:namaste:
Kim

Oh no! That was a horrible choice of terms on my part. :oops: I thought I made up the term on the fly. :rolling:
I've seen my share of adharmics on the 'net too.
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”