YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

What the Buddha did not teach - Christopher Titmuss - Page 7 - Dhamma Wheel

What the Buddha did not teach - Christopher Titmuss

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
PeterB

Re: What the Buddha did not teach - Christopher Titmuss

Postby PeterB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:32 pm

I am asking what your personal authority is for your assertions. Or what the authority is of those who formed the views that you are framing as though they are personal knowledge.
How do you know it happens in an " just a moment " for example.
You have either experienced this yourself...or you have deduced this view . In which case what is the source of your deduction ? A specific reference rather than waving generally in the direction of a pile of Suttas would be appreciated.

chownah

Postby chownah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:38 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:44 pm

I have not the slightest, foggiest, notion of the mechanics of awakening...none.
Such a consideration is so utterly beyond my ken as to be a thing pointless to ponder. I cannot post Sutta references because I would not know where to start. Either to support or to refute what you have written.
I am therefore fascinated to hear that someone else has such a clear idea that he is willing to go public with it :popcorn: ...

chownah

Postby chownah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:09 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:12 pm

I think I will just stick to practising. Curious notion I know. If ever that leads to awakening I will will describe the last few moments of the process....hows that ?

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:26 pm

I should perhaps add a qualifier...My first teacher Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche said. " We see ourselves on a brightly lit stage , with an audience, becoming Enlightened. I have to disappoint you. When Enlightenment happens " we " wont be there at all. "

mikenz66

Re: Where is the paper refuting Christopher Titmuss ?

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi Morning Mist,

I referred to the extensive discussion on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=8879 some of which clearly contradicted Christopher's interesting and iconoclastic discussion points.

:anjali:
Mike

MattJ

Postby MattJ » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:16 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:40 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:07 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Fri Sep 09, 2011 10:04 am

Probably time for new thread titled " What Christopher Titmuss did not teach about the Buddha teachings " :smile:

namaste

Postby namaste » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:40 pm

This raises some questions, for example, if it's true the Buddha didn't teach the 5 preceplts, (or the 10?), then why do we observe them? Would it be more in keeping with the Buddha's teachings to simply practice good morality as he taught it, without a laundry list of do's and don'ts?

Nicro

Postby Nicro » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:52 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:27 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:34 am

Greetings,

Does anyone know if/how Christopher Titmuss may be contacted?

It would be interesting to see if he was interested in responding to a consolidated 'counter-claim'.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:07 am

Hi Retro,

http://www.christophertitmuss.org/
(of course...)

Interesting question whether one should "bother" well-known people. It would depend on what you were seeking I've corresponded briefly with a few people when I had specific questions that had specific answers (which sutta they were using as a source, etc.). I've never tried to engage them in . Generally such people will be well aware of the arguments (Bhikkhu Bodhi sometimes comments in his talks how out on the internet there are these people complaining about: "That fool Bodhi, he's completely wrong about ...").

From what I know of Christopher (some of the Insight people I know here have done retreats with him), his intent would be for such a list to be provocative and irritating to as many as possible...

:anjali:
Mike

cooran

Postby cooran » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:09 am

Hello Paul,

Try this:

hristopher Titmuss
7 Denys Road
Totnes, Devon
TQ9 5TJ

email: [email protected]

Not sure how often he checks in.

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:14 am

Greetings Mike & Chris,

Thanks.

Good point as to whether we should "bother" him, but on the other hand, I'm sure he would like to know that his list did in fact stimulate some discussion and reflection amongst Dhamma practitioners, challenge some assumptions and all.... but would the intent on his behalf really be to be as "provocative and irritating to as many as possible..."? I find it difficult to imagine anyone serious about the Dhamma wanting to irritate people.

Metta,
Retro. :)

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:18 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:25 am

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”