Twitching eye spasm

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.

Twitching eye spasm

Postby paulbear » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:02 pm

This might sound a little crazy but for the past 2 days when mediating my right eye continues to twitch and open. I try to center and focus on my breath but I must say this is quite a nuisance on my daily practice. The more I bring myself to the breath the thoughts on my twitching begin. If anyone has advice that would be great. :roll:
paulbear
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Twitching eye spasm

Postby Knotty Veneer » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:32 pm

I think the only thing here to do is to relax and observe the twitch. Do not try to stop it or worry about what means. It’s neither good or bad.

You get all sorts of body sensations in meditation. Nothing to worry about. They usually disappear on their own eventually.
Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it - Mark Twain.
Knotty Veneer
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: Twitching eye spasm

Postby Karma Dorje » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:35 pm

This is just latent tension. Do a tension/relaxation exercise: Scrunch up your eyes as tightly as you can until you can't hold it any more and then let go and consciously relax. Do the same for your forehead, mouth (make a grimace), neck. The problem should disappear right away.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."
~Arthur Carlson
User avatar
Karma Dorje
 
Posts: 876
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Re: Twitching eye spasm

Postby Ayu » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:07 pm

Oh, what an interesting thread! :smile: I have the same thing. Twitching on the right eye since some time, maybe one month.
I let it twitch, what else can I do?
So, because the right side is for the practical things and the left side for the spiritual, i thought maybe i have some tension about my practical life. I found out the twitch starts to be stronger when i think of some things i have to do: 'Don't forget to do...' and 'Maybe I should better do this or that....'.
If i relax mentally and let the things be, the twitch stopps gently.

For me it is an interesting indicator for my mental state.
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
User avatar
Ayu
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Twitching eye spasm

Postby paulbear » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:13 pm

Thank you all for the wonderful advice, Karma your advice with scrunching the eye worked beautifully. Bright blessings of peace to all
paulbear
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: Twitching eye spasm

Postby Adamantine » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:21 pm

Sometimes that is also a sign of something good coming your way. . .
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Twitching eye spasm

Postby Knotty Veneer » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Adamantine wrote:Sometimes that is also a sign of something good coming your way. . .


Why do you say that?

To be honest, I think if you start interpreting every itch and twitch as " a sign of something" your meditation is likely to lead to more confusion than less.
Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it - Mark Twain.
Knotty Veneer
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: Twitching eye spasm

Postby Adamantine » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:51 am

Knotty Veneer wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Sometimes that is also a sign of something good coming your way. . .


Why do you say that?

To be honest, I think if you start interpreting every itch and twitch as " a sign of something" your meditation is likely to lead to more confusion than less.



I say it because I heard it from a Lama friend that knows about these things.. and after he had it happen we did get very good news. But maybe it does not carry that meaning for everyone. I don't think it is about having a menu of twitches. I think it is about reading events in life, both big and small, as having various levels of meaning and information. Some are obvious, some more hidden.
Contentment is the ultimate wealth;
Detachment is the final happiness. ~Sri Saraha
User avatar
Adamantine
Former staff member
 
Posts: 2964
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:09 am
Location: Space is the Place

Re: Twitching eye spasm

Postby Knotty Veneer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:41 am

Adamantine wrote:
Knotty Veneer wrote:
Adamantine wrote:Sometimes that is also a sign of something good coming your way. . .


Why do you say that?

To be honest, I think if you start interpreting every itch and twitch as " a sign of something" your meditation is likely to lead to more confusion than less.



I say it because I heard it from a Lama friend that knows about these things.. and after he had it happen we did get very good news. But maybe it does not carry that meaning for everyone. I don't think it is about having a menu of twitches. I think it is about reading events in life, both big and small, as having various levels of meaning and information. Some are obvious, some more hidden.


Sounds like the road to madness to me.
Everyone talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it - Mark Twain.
Knotty Veneer
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: Twitching eye spasm

Postby Ayu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:50 am

If you don't take the things and phenomenons in a relaxed way, it easily leads to some kind of madness. :smile:
Because, if our mothers, who have been kind to us
From beginningless time, are suffering,
What can we do with (just) our own happiness?
From 10th of 37 Bodhisattva Practices
User avatar
Ayu
 
Posts: 995
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:25 am
Location: Europe

Re: Twitching eye spasm

Postby Sara H » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:02 am

paulbear wrote:This might sound a little crazy but for the past 2 days when mediating my right eye continues to twitch and open. I try to center and focus on my breath but I must say this is quite a nuisance on my daily practice. The more I bring myself to the breath the thoughts on my twitching begin. If anyone has advice that would be great. :roll:


This sortof thing can actually be kindof normal with sitting.

Twitches and such can occasionally come up. It's usually related to tension relieving/releasing.

Sometimes it sortof "spasms" or twitches while it releases.

In Gassho,

Sara H.
"Life is full of suffering. AND Life is full of the Eternal
IT IS OUR CHOICE
We can stand in our shadow, and wallow in the darkness,
OR
We can turn around.
It is OUR choice." -Rev. Basil

" ...out of fear, even the good harm one another. " -Rev. Dazui MacPhillamy
User avatar
Sara H
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 pm
Location: On Hiatus from Dharmawheel.


Return to Meditation

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron
>