Samsara, the Movie

A place for videos, pictures, and any other sort of Buddhist or non-Buddhist media.

Samsara, the Movie

Postby deepbluehum » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:17 pm

I don't know if anyone has seen "Samsara": http://barakasamsara.com/.

I found this piece to be one of the best ever. The director invokes all three yanas with images Tibet, Burma, and Vietnam. After seeing this movie, it seems to me director Ron Fricke is a living example of an artist nirmanakaya, giving complete teachings with only images and no words. The message underlying the Buddhist images was unexpected and very deep. All unsettling. It's the crazy wisdom teachers I love the most. This is that. You all must see it if you haven't yet.
deepbluehum
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:05 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby Yudron » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:45 pm

deepbluehum wrote:I don't know if anyone has seen "Samsara": http://barakasamsara.com/.

I found this piece to be one of the best ever. The director invokes all three yanas with images Tibet, Burma, and Vietnam. After seeing this movie, it seems to me director Ron Fricke is a living example of an artist nirmanakaya, giving complete teachings with only images and no words. The message underlying the Buddhist images was unexpected and very deep. All unsettling. It's the crazy wisdom teachers I love the most. This is that. You all must see it if you haven't yet.


Thanks, I rented the Instant video for streaming from Amazon.
Yudron
 
Posts: 1054
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:55 pm
Location: Sunny California

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby Roland » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:48 pm

I had been meaning to see this in a theater. It had just became available near where I live in December. I did not realize it could be rented on Amazon streaming.

:thanks: :twothumbsup:
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
User avatar
Roland
 
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:33 pm

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby deepbluehum » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:14 pm

I hope it opens up discussions. Please post your impressions.
deepbluehum
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:05 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby Jikan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:35 pm

I haven't seen the whole film yet, but I'd like to. So far, from the clips I have seen, I'm reminded of the Qaatsi movies, which I very much enjoy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085809/
Need help getting on retreat? Want to support others in practice? Pay the Dana for Dharma forum a visit...

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727
Jikan
Site Admin
 
Posts: 5789
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby Sherab Dorje » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Jikan wrote:I haven't seen the whole film yet, but I'd like to. So far, from the clips I have seen, I'm reminded of the Qaatsi movies, which I very much enjoy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085809/
Yes, I agree, very similar o the Qaatsi movies.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Former staff member
 
Posts: 10311
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby deepbluehum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:08 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
Jikan wrote:I haven't seen the whole film yet, but I'd like to. So far, from the clips I have seen, I'm reminded of the Qaatsi movies, which I very much enjoy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085809/
Yes, I agree, very similar o the Qaatsi movies.


Ron Fricke on Cinematography.
deepbluehum
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:05 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby oushi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:17 pm

This movie is worth seeing in cinema. This scene is breathtaking. Simply stunning:
Image

When it comes to the whole thing, it was to suggestive. I enjoyed Baraka more.
Say what you think about me here.
User avatar
oushi
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby deepbluehum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:29 pm

oushi wrote:This movie is worth seeing in cinema. This scene is breathtaking. Simply stunning:
Image

When it comes to the whole thing, it was to suggestive. I enjoyed Baraka more.


It's a teaching.
deepbluehum
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:05 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby oushi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:40 pm

deepbluehum wrote:It's a teaching.

No doubt it is.
Say what you think about me here.
User avatar
oushi
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby futerko » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:40 pm

oushi wrote:I enjoyed Baraka more.

Nice Movie, it's on you tube for the moment - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyguwQalCI
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
User avatar
futerko
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby oushi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 pm

futerko wrote:
oushi wrote:I enjoyed Baraka more.

Nice Movie, it's on you tube for the moment - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyguwQalCI

Yes, but watching it in such a quality is a sin.
HD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6tJjZpwUZ8
Say what you think about me here.
User avatar
oushi
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby futerko » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:58 pm

oushi wrote:
futerko wrote:
oushi wrote:I enjoyed Baraka more.

Nice Movie, it's on you tube for the moment - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEyguwQalCI

Yes, but watching it in such a quality is a sin.
HD:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6tJjZpwUZ8

:rolling:
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
User avatar
futerko
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby deepbluehum » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 am

oushi wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:It's a teaching.

No doubt it is.


Hence why it is more than suggestive. It is instructive.
deepbluehum
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:05 am
Location: San Francisco, CA

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby oushi » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:53 am

deepbluehum wrote:
oushi wrote:
deepbluehum wrote:It's a teaching.

No doubt it is.


Hence why it is more than suggestive. It is instructive.

Say more.
For me, part of samsara was presented. No instructions were given about the "way" out.
Say what you think about me here.
User avatar
oushi
 
Posts: 1596
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:18 am

Re: Samsara, the Movie

Postby muni » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:08 pm

Without the genuine wish based on some clarity and faith to awaken, grasping habitual tendencies are not deleted by conditions in place/time in accordance with this or that rule.
There is only nature and all is nature. Any discrimination is ones’ own delusion.
muni
 
Posts: 3049
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:59 am


Return to Media

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

>