Investigating fake lamas

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Karma Dorje

Re: Investigating fake lamas

Post by Karma Dorje »

lama tsewang wrote:I was not trying to make any personal attack , with my previous post.
I am trying to show how dangerous some of these statements can be .

I am reminded of what Nagarjuna , or rather what i have bee told, That it is much more dangerous to be attached to emptiness , than to be attached to following precepts and being attached to relative truth
tsewang
Who said anything about emptiness? Nagarjuna was referring to nihilists saying that there was no such thing as cause and effect and then neither sowing the seeds of positive results nor avoiding harming others which is obviously a catastrophe. I have not made any such claim. I am simply saying that Vajrayana is by nature dangerous, requires sharp faculties, honesty about one's capability and a strong conscience.

As Woody Guthrie said,
"I love a good man outside the law, just as much as I hate a bad man inside the law."
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

gregkavarnos wrote:Dude, it doesn't turn to shit becaue of the vows/precepts themselves, like it doesn't turn to shit due to the tantric practice itself. Just that it is MUCH easier for the tantric practice to turn to shit on all fronts. What do I mean by this? If somebody screws up their vows via egoism and pride at least they will gain the benefit of having kept the vows and not having engaged in unholesome actions. If somebody screws up their tantric practice for the same reason, well the outcome is a (vajra) hell of a lot worse for them.
:namaste:
So now you are arguing my point that Vajrayana is inherently dangerous. Good.
"Although my view is higher than the sky, My respect for the cause and effect of actions is as fine as grains of flour."
-Padmasambhava
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Karma Dorje wrote:So now you are arguing my point that Vajrayana is inherently dangerous. Good.
:zzz: http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 60#p146657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you're going to engage in discussion it is a good idea to read all of the discussion.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
lama tsewang

Post by lama tsewang »

but what of the tantric prexcepts they require that someone follow all the conventional silas and much more
Verry few, including myself , have learned them well, and yet they are the life blood of the vajrayana path.
tsewang
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Karma Dorje wrote:So now you are arguing my point that Vajrayana is inherently dangerous. Good.
:zzz: http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... 60#p146657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; If you're going to engage in discussion it is a good idea to read all of the discussion.
As much as it has pained me, I read everything you contributed to the conversation. :)
Last edited by Karma Dorje on Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Padmasambhava
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

lama tsewang wrote:but what of the tantric prexcepts they require that someone follow all the conventional silas and much more
Verry few, including myself , have learned them well, and yet they are the life blood of the vajrayana path.
tsewang
The tantric precepts are much harder to keep than the pratimoksha. If you can keep samaya, all of the rest is complete in that.
-Padmasambhava
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Karma Dorje wrote:As much as it has pained me, I read everything you contributed to the conversation. :)
:rolling:
The feeling is mutual! :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Karma Dorje wrote:As much as it has pained me, I read everything you contributed to the conversation. :)
:rolling:
The feeling is mutual! :tongue:
In this conversation I could take either "side," the point is to be aware of the pitfalls in either extreme.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Drinking wine and eating meat can also be due to conditioning. Oaky, if you were living in a medieval Brahamanic society, with its extreme emphasis on purity, then it would be transgressive, but right now drinking wine and eating meat is the norm. Go into any cafe, bar, restaurant, etc... and see what is happening. What do you see? The triumphal reign of tantrism or the Mara of conditioned habit? I know what I see. Seems the description for transg
ressive has changed since Saraha was around. Now it is transgressive to be able to successfully maintain the five precepts. Wouldn't you agree.
Excellent point. To be transgressive these days you'd have to go on a weeklong ketamine and crystal meth binge followed by an orgy. Wine and vanilla sex just don't cut it anymore.

I think I'll stick to my boring, unimaginative celibate lifestyle thanks.
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

If you have an opinion, the act isn't spontaneous wisdom.
Karma Dorje

Post by Karma Dorje »

JKhedrup wrote: Excellent point. To be transgressive these days you'd have to go on a weeklong ketamine and crystal meth binge followed by an orgy. Wine and vanilla sex just don't cut it anymore.

Hey, that image came from *your* imagination, not mine! ;)
-Padmasambhava
pueraeternus

Post by pueraeternus »

Karma Dorje wrote:Vajrayana is *meant* to be transgressive. Look at the life of Saraha. Drinking wine and eating meat is meant to overcome conditioning (as well as the effect it has on one's channels and winds). It's not meant to just condition you to a new normal. Realization is the ultimate transgressive act.
I think that kinda stopped the moment Indo-tibetan Vajrayana grew into an institution. Being transgressive is fine when one is a wandering siddha living on the fringe of society. Not when one is the head of a lineage with lots of monasteries - that tends to cause more problems than it is worth.
"Men must want to do things out of their own innermost drives. People, not commercial organizations or chains of command, are what make great civilizations work. Every civilization depends upon the quality of the individuals it produces. If you over-organize humans, over-legalize them, suppress their urge to greatness - they cannot work and their civilization collapses."
- A letter to CHOAM, attributed to the Preacher
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

JKhedrup wrote:
Drinking wine and eating meat can also be due to conditioning. Oaky, if you were living in a medieval Brahamanic society, with its extreme emphasis on purity, then it would be transgressive, but right now drinking wine and eating meat is the norm. Go into any cafe, bar, restaurant, etc... and see what is happening. What do you see? The triumphal reign of tantrism or the Mara of conditioned habit? I know what I see. Seems the description for transg
ressive has changed since Saraha was around. Now it is transgressive to be able to successfully maintain the five precepts. Wouldn't you agree.
Excellent point. To be transgressive these days you'd have to go on a weeklong ketamine and crystal meth binge followed by an orgy. Wine and vanilla sex just don't cut it anymore.

There are still ways.

You can take tips from 2nd Serkong Dorje Chang. Or from the Aghori.

http://blog.tsemtulku.com/tsem-tulku-ri ... chang.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
muni

Post by muni »

Some quotes from Jamgon Kongtrul Lodro Thaye Rinpoche from the posted website.

...it is difficult to recognize an authentic teacher, because these qualities are internal. We can not depend upon external factors, but external factors are what we see. It is very difficult to see the inner qualities of another person.

...Am I seeking a teacher in order to attain enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings, or am I seeking to fulfill my need to acquire the prestige associated with a famous teacher, or am I merely attracted to a lama's beautiful retreat land or the social scene of a hip sangha, and so on.

These motivations need to be acknowledged if we are to recognize an authentic wisdom teacher, because the teacher you find is related to your karma, and your karma is intimately connected to your motivation.

Fortunately, there are methods that help us purify our motivation and create the proper conditions for finding a wisdom teacher, such as bringing our awareness to our motivations as much as possible, doing daily meditation practice".

Finally the only way to conquer all the fake ones is by to see fake me, then true help can be.
mahabuddha

Re: Dhyani Ywahoo-Khandro? Cherokee Chief?

Post by mahabuddha »

Harold wrote:Do anyone know anything about this woman Dhyani Ywahoo who claims to be both a Cherokee Chief and a Tibetan Khandro.
There are a lot of websites that claim that she's a fake Cherokee. It appears that she claims Dujom Rinpoche gave her the very high title of Khandro.
Thanks
The status of someone's Cherokee connection isn't really the topic of this forum. Instead of counting everyone else's sheep it might be more beneficial to mind one's own sheep.
Last edited by Grigoris on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added quote to ensure continuity
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

JKhedrup wrote:
I'd argue that the path of the Vinaya may be more transgressive of contemporary cultural conventions than falling into a ketamine hole. Withdrawing from consumerism (including the consumption of sexuality), on purpose, may be a radical act. This is, in my poor opinion, a very good thing.

sorry for the :offtopic:
Huseng
Former staff member

Post by Huseng »

Jikan wrote:
JKhedrup wrote:
I'd argue that the path of the Vinaya may be more transgressive of contemporary cultural conventions than falling into a ketamine hole. Withdrawing from consumerism (including the consumption of sexuality), on purpose, may be a radical act. This is, in my poor opinion, a very good thing.

sorry for the :offtopic:

It can also be seen as an assault on freedom to suggest that lust is a mental poison.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

Of course my comments were in jest but pointing at the permisiveness in society. Drinking, drugs and irreponsible sex (ie unprotected or with multiple partners) are the norm rather than transgressive.
If these behaviour weren't harmful I wouldn't say anything but we know they can cause very serious suffering. Because of the Christian Right's domination around issues of values unfortunately ethics/morality are linked to conservative social values, as soon as abstinence or monogamy are mentioned people cringe. But that is because we have yet to establish an ethical framework that doesn't condemn but acts as a system to support society.

I am not advocating celibacy as a liftestyle choice for any more than a small minority of people. But I must say honestly that sometimes I feel discrimminated against because of my choices. People seem to think celibacy turns every young person into a withdrawn neurotic terrified of going for a walk because they might see cleavage.

No one forced me to make this choice and I am not a prisoner. I chose it because I felt it enhanced my spiritual practice and because it is a way of life praised by Lord Buddha and countless other realized beings.

You'd be surprised at some of the comments/concerns that I hear from people on a regular basis about my "unhealthy decision".
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

If people are going to argue that a celibacy is bad for one's health or good for one's health in this day and age there needs to be some scientific evidence for it. I'm going to start another thread on this question.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

JKhedrup wrote: I am not advocating celibacy as a liftestyle choice for any more than a small minority of people. But I must say honestly that sometimes I feel discrimminated against because of my choices. People seem to think celibacy turns every young person into a withdrawn neurotic terrified of going for a walk because they might see cleavage.

No one forced me to make this choice and I am not a prisoner. I chose it because I felt it enhanced my spiritual practice and because it is a way of life praised by Lord Buddha and countless other realized beings.

You'd be surprised at some of the comments/concerns that I hear from people on a regular basis about my "unhealthy decision".
I know how you feel. I am not celibate but I made a conscious decision in my twenties not to marry or have children. It's just not how I want to spend my life. I want to be free to practise and not be tied to a job I don't like because I have family commitments.

Most people I know look at me as if I'm an alien. Secretly, I think they believe it is an excuse for not being able to attract a life partner.

For my part, I just cannot fathom why someone would want to put all their life energy into raising kids. It just seems a crazy thing to do when there is so much to learn and experience in the world.
This is not the wrong life.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”