A Buddhist discussion forum on Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism
It is currently Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:41 am 
Global Moderator

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/07/us/piers- ... ?hpt=hp_c2

By being one of the few people you can always count on to make mainstream media look accurate and accountable by comparison - lol!

But seriously, I can't imagine a worse person to have argue the "pro gun" side..

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:36 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 pm 
Former staff member

I believe that Americans should have the God granted constitutional and democratic right to commit social suicide. Who am I to deny them of that right? Free military style weapons (why stop at assault rifles, let citizens buy explosive projectile weapons/launchers too) and high capacity magazines for all US citizens aged 16 years and over and the abolishment of state funded health and education is my great democratic/republican (the two words actually mean the same thing, one is the Greek and the other is the Latin version) American dream.

If the Taliban, or Iran, or the USSR, or whoever the current enemy happens to be, cannot destroy America, then let Americans destroy America.
:namaste:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:21 pm 
Site Admin

Here's what the US Constitution actually has to say about the matter:

Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

source: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charte ... cript.html

To many readers, it would seem that the purpose of this amendment is to make clear that each US state had the right to organize a militia, and to arm that militia. It doesn't say anything about your uncle Carl or any other private citizen having an ironclad right to own a rocket launcher or any other particular form of military technology. It just says states can organize and arm militias.

In practice, this point of view has no traction at all. :shrug:

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=13727

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:56 pm 

Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean that the Reptilian Overlords are not out to get you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:07 pm 

He does have a knack for screaming lol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:25 pm 

BLACK HELICOPTERS ladies and gentlemen
:tantrum:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 pm 

gregkavarnos wrote:
I believe that Americans should have the God granted constitutional and democratic right to commit social suicide. Who am I to deny them of that right? Free military style weapons (why stop at assault rifles, let citizens buy explosive projectile weapons/launchers too) and high capacity magazines for all US citizens aged 16 years and over and the abolishment of state funded health and education is my great democratic/republican (the two words actually mean the same thing, one is the Greek and the other is the Latin version) American dream.

If the Taliban, or Iran, or the USSR, or whoever the current enemy happens to be, cannot destroy America, then let Americans destroy America.

Much to your chagrin, America will always be number one. All this talk about India and China taking over is crazy. This is the place where every major innovation for the next 1000 years will come from. America is so strong. America is the business and the world is our customer.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:06 pm 
Former staff member

deepbluehum wrote:
Much to your chagrin, America will always be number one.
I guess the Buddhas teachings on impermanence and causes and conditions just flew straight over your head? And just for your information, 1000 years (The Fourth Reich? Well the Second and the Third one didn't make it to 1000 years, but anyway...) is not forever, actually it is nowhere near forever. ;)

Anyway, if they keep pumping weapons into your communties at this rate the US isn't even going to make it into the 30's. Not in its current form, that's for sure.