Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Anything goes (almost).

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:48 am

martin123 wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Just looking
inward doesn't put something in line with The Buddhas teaching, if it
did, nearly every Dharmic religion or form of mysticism focused on
liberation would be Buddhism, but we can see they aren't, and have a
wide range of views.

Its also possible that jesus teachings and others have been corrupted and misunderstood throughout timespane,and have become world religions!thats highly possible.



What I wrote had nothing to do with that though, certainly I think one can say that what passes as Christianity in many places is quite probably very different from the teachings of Jesus. Still doesn't make what Jesus did teach line up with Buddhism any more than Sikh Dharma,Vedanta, Jainism, Wicca, Scientology, or Oprahism does.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby futerko » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:21 am

lowlydog wrote:...if misunderstood we would end up with a bunch of people worshiping and waiting for an external person or object to save them. That's just crazy :rolleye: and not what Jesus had in mind for his students.


It's kind of interesting that what you've described here seems to be exactly what has happened to those teachings.
we cannot get rid of God because we still believe in grammar - Nietzsche
User avatar
futerko
 
Posts: 993
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:58 am

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby martin123 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:22 am

Johnny

Dangerous wrote:
martin123 wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Just looking
inward doesn't put something in line with The Buddhas teaching, if it
did, nearly every Dharmic religion or form of mysticism focused on
liberation would be Buddhism, but we can see they aren't, and have a
wide range of views.

Its also possible that jesus teachings and others have been corrupted
and misunderstood throughout timespane,and have become world
religions!thats highly possible.



What I wrote had nothing to do with that though, certainly I think one
can say that what passes as Christianity in many places is quite
probably very different from the teachings of Jesus. Still doesn't make
what Jesus did teach line up with Buddhism any more than Sikh
Dharma,Vedanta, Jainism, Wicca, Scientology, or Oprahism does.

well,mabe what jesus taught does line up with Buddhism,that was the
point.but possibly was completely distorted by unrealized people.
Martin
martin123
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:42 am

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby lowlydog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:37 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Just looking inward doesn't put something in line with The Buddhas teaching, if it did, nearly every Dharmic religion or form of mysticism focused on liberation would be Buddhism, but we can see they aren't, and have a wide range of views.


Maybe Jesus could have perfected and clarified his teachings a little better if he had more time, as the Sidarth Gotama did.

I really do not study alot of other religions, and I'm not claiming that all practices will lead one to the ultimate truth. I'm suggesting as Eckhart does that the words of Jesus were coming from the deepest reality, and could be interpreted as in line with the buddhas teachings. They can and have also been twisted, misinterpreted, and used to opress and enslave people. If you think I am suggesting that modern day christianity is being practiced in line with the buddhas teachings then you have really misinterpreted my message.

I do not practice Eckharts technique as I have not had the opportunity to attend one of his retreats and do not know it, I would love to and would go to one in a heart beat, for curiosity, not necessity. I practice a technique in line with the satipattana sutra and have no doubt that this technique works, I have no need to look elsewhere. Eckhart awakened me to the ego, and god(being) not to be confused with the bearded fellow in the sky. Reading his book broke the shell of ignorance that was preventing me from looking inside myself, if Eckhart was my neighbor I may well not have needed to look for a teacher. Because this was not my reality I found that I needed guidance I needed someone to teach me, I found the teachings of the Buddha very quickly and many qualified teachers and spiritual friends were there to help me.

Through practicing this technique and gaining insight into the nature of reality, I have come to the conclusion that the words of Eckhart Tolle are coming from the deepest reality(ultimate reality) and are in line with the Buddhas teachings. I'm not suggesting mysticism and dharmic religion are inline with the Buddhas teachings as I know nothing about them, I'm also not saying that they don't because I know nothing about them.

I'm also not steering people away from the teachings of the Buddha by suggesting they read Eckhart Tolle. :smile:
lowlydog
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby lowlydog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:45 am

futerko wrote:
lowlydog wrote:...if misunderstood we would end up with a bunch of people worshiping and waiting for an external person or object to save them. That's just crazy :rolleye: and not what Jesus had in mind for his students.


It's kind of interesting that what you've described here seems to be exactly what has happened to those teachings.


Yes, that is exactly what has happened to the teaching of Jesus, and it is exactly what happens to the teachings of the Buddha. When people simply study the sutras and worship a statue and do not put the teaching to practice confusion arises.
lowlydog
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:48 am

lowlydog wrote:
futerko wrote:
lowlydog wrote:...if misunderstood we would end up with a bunch of people worshiping and waiting for an external person or object to save them. That's just crazy :rolleye: and not what Jesus had in mind for his students.


It's kind of interesting that what you've described here seems to be exactly what has happened to those teachings.


Yes, that is exactly what has happened to the teaching of Jesus, and it is exactly what happens to the teachings of the Buddha. When people simply study the sutras and worship a statue and do not put the teaching to practice confusion arises.



So we shouldn't study the sutras?

Where exactly do Buddhist teachings come from if not the Sutras, and lineages of Buddhists which were originally established by the Buddha and his disciples? What else is there tangible for you to put into practice exactly?

Through practicing this technique and gaining insight into the nature of reality, I have come to the conclusion that the words of Eckhart Tolle are coming from the deepest reality(ultimate reality) and are in line with the Buddhas teachings


You really think you personally are so far along that you can say (without looking at actual doctrine or philosophy, which you have some weird aversion to apparently) that you KNOW Eckharts teachings come from deepest reality..why, have you been there yourself?

The whole point of having a doctrine, having a discipline is to prevent errors in judgement just like the above and learn from past masters. It's also the point of trying to gain some clarity in regards to Buddhist philosophy, which evidently you don't consider to be important to Buddhism?

Also, which Buddhists "just worship a statue"? Really curious on that one.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby lowlydog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:11 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
So we shouldn't study the sutras?

Where exactly do Buddhist teachings come from if not the Sutras, and lineages of Buddhists which were originally established by the Buddha and his disciples? What else is there tangible for you to put into practice exactly?

Through practicing this technique and gaining insight into the nature of reality, I have come to the conclusion that the words of Eckhart Tolle are coming from the deepest reality(ultimate reality) and are in line with the Buddhas teachings


You really think you personally are so far along that you can say (without looking at actual doctrine or philosophy, which you have some weird aversion to apparently) that you KNOW Eckharts teachings come from deepest reality..why, have you been there yourself?

The whole point of having a doctrine, having a discipline is to prevent errors in judgement just like the above and learn from past masters. It's also the point of trying to gain some clarity in regards to Buddhist philosophy, which evidently you don't consider to be important to Buddhism?

Also, which Buddhists "just worship a statue"? Really curious on that one.


I did not say do not read the sutras I said "When people simply study the sutras and worship a statue and do not put the teaching to practice confusion arises."

Continuity of practice is the secret to success, continue to practice, continue to practice, continue to practice................................. :smile:
lowlydog
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:17 am

I did not say do not read the sutras I said "When people simply study the sutras and worship a statue and do not put the teaching to practice confusion arises."

Continuity of practice is the secret to success, continue to practice, continue to practice, continue to practice................................. :smile:


And again i'm curious which Buddhists you think are just reading sutras and worshipping statues. Which Buddhist tradition is "not putting things into practice", and in what way?

It sounded like a general claim that Buddhist traditions have "lost the plot" in the way that Christianity has. Not saying I agree with everything ever taught by any Buddhist tradition, i'm sure there's plenty there that wouldn't be for me, but it sounds somewhat like you are putting down the whole of Buddhism, or at least whole tendencies within Buddhism. Particularly in context, it sounds like a bit like you think Eckharts teachings have more meat than that of the "statue worshipers". While it's your right in every way to feel this way, you can't expect that kind of thing to be well received on a Buddhist forum, can you?
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby lowlydog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:41 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:And again i'm curious which Buddhists you think are just reading sutras and worshipping statues.

It sounded like a general claim that Buddhist traditions have "lost the plot" in the way that Christianity has. Not saying I agree with everything ever taught by any Buddhist tradition, i'm sure there's plenty there that wouldn't be for me, but it sounds somewhat like you are putting down the whole of Buddhism, or at least whole tendencies within Buddhism. Particularly in context, it sounds like a bit like you think Eckharts teachings have more meat than that of the "statue worshipers". While it's your right in every way to feel this way, you can't expect that kind of thing to be well received on a Buddhist forum, can you?


I'm not pointing a finger at anyone in particular, I'm stating that simply reading the sutras and worshiping a statue is not what the buddha taught. The buddha taught morality, concentration and wisdom.
Morality, without observing precepts one will be unable to develope concentration, without practicing and developing concentration wisdom cannot arise, without wisdom no liberation.
I don't give a fiddler's fart about Buddhism and neither did the Buddha, I care about preserving and practicing the 8-fold noble path as taught by Sidarth Gotama the Buddha. I am not interested in claiming this technique and putting a fence around it, blocking others from finding it.
lowlydog
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:48 am

lowlydog wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:And again i'm curious which Buddhists you think are just reading sutras and worshipping statues.

It sounded like a general claim that Buddhist traditions have "lost the plot" in the way that Christianity has. Not saying I agree with everything ever taught by any Buddhist tradition, i'm sure there's plenty there that wouldn't be for me, but it sounds somewhat like you are putting down the whole of Buddhism, or at least whole tendencies within Buddhism. Particularly in context, it sounds like a bit like you think Eckharts teachings have more meat than that of the "statue worshipers". While it's your right in every way to feel this way, you can't expect that kind of thing to be well received on a Buddhist forum, can you?


I'm not pointing a finger at anyone in particular, I'm stating that simply reading the sutras and worshiping a statue is not what the buddha taught. The buddha taught morality, concentration and wisdom.
Morality, without observing precepts one will be unable to develope concentration, without practicing and developing concentration wisdom cannot arise, without wisdom no liberation.
I don't give a fiddler's fart about Buddhism and neither did the Buddha, I care about preserving and practicing the 8-fold noble path as taught by Sidarth Gotama the Buddha. I am not interested in claiming this technique and putting a fence around it, blocking others from finding it.


Right, and i'm asking who you think 'isn't doing what the Buddha taught'.

That is absolutely incorrect about The Buddha not caring about Buddhism, he established a Sangha, a doctrine and discipline..what makes you think he didn't "care about Buddhism" and where do you get that idea? it certain isn't in the Pali Canon, which is the closest we can come to his words historically, should I dig up some Dhammapada quotes for you on the importance of the three refuges?

You seem to be getting more and more negative towards Buddhism as it's practiced as the thread goes on, on the one hand you say you care about the eightfold path, but then you imply that (most, all some?) Buddhist traditions aren't actually Buddhism. What exactly is Buddhism to you then? The same Pali Canon that lays out the eightfold path also talks in various places about the uniqueness of the doctrine, and it's preservation and practice. If these things aren't Buddhism to you, then what exactly is "your" Buddhism, what is real Buddhism if normal Buddhism is not? The Tolleyana? :twisted:

I'm not trying to make the thread hostile, but you've put this stuff out there and i'm curious as to the answers. no hostility intended.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby lowlydog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:18 am

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Right, and i'm asking who you think 'isn't doing what the Buddha taught'.

That is absolutely incorrect about The Buddha not caring about Buddhism, he established a Sangha, a doctrine and discipline..what makes you think he didn't "care about Buddhism" and where do you get that idea? it certain isn't in the Pali Canon, which is the closest we can come to his words historically, should I dig up some Dhammapada quotes for you on the importance of the three refuges?

You seem to be getting more and more hostile towards Buddhism as it's practiced as the thread goes on, on the one hand you say you care about the eightfold path, but then you imply that (most, all some?) Buddhist traditions aren't actually Buddhism. What exactly is Buddhism to you then? The same Pali Canon that lays out the eightfold path also talks in various places about the uniqueness of the doctrine, and it's preservation and practice. If these things aren't Buddhism to you, then what exactly is "your" Buddhism?

I'm not trying to make the thread hostile, but you've put this stuff out there and i'm curious as to the answers. no hostility intended.


I think I've made myself clear, and I don't think this is a hostile thread at all. I am also not sending hostility out to buddhists, my friends call me a buddhist, I attend a buddhist temple, I simply do not call myself a buddhist or think it is important to label this practice as buddhist. Eckhart is a buddhist , Eckhart isn't a buddhist I don't care, I find his work helpful, buddhist or not. :smile:

Why do you find it so important to label things buddhist?
lowlydog
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby Johnny Dangerous » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:38 am

lowlydog wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Right, and i'm asking who you think 'isn't doing what the Buddha taught'.

That is absolutely incorrect about The Buddha not caring about Buddhism, he established a Sangha, a doctrine and discipline..what makes you think he didn't "care about Buddhism" and where do you get that idea? it certain isn't in the Pali Canon, which is the closest we can come to his words historically, should I dig up some Dhammapada quotes for you on the importance of the three refuges?

You seem to be getting more and more hostile towards Buddhism as it's practiced as the thread goes on, on the one hand you say you care about the eightfold path, but then you imply that (most, all some?) Buddhist traditions aren't actually Buddhism. What exactly is Buddhism to you then? The same Pali Canon that lays out the eightfold path also talks in various places about the uniqueness of the doctrine, and it's preservation and practice. If these things aren't Buddhism to you, then what exactly is "your" Buddhism?

I'm not trying to make the thread hostile, but you've put this stuff out there and i'm curious as to the answers. no hostility intended.


I think I've made myself clear, and I don't think this is a hostile thread at all. I am also not sending hostility out to buddhists, my friends call me a buddhist, I attend a buddhist temple, I simply do not call myself a buddhist or think it is important to label this practice as buddhist. Eckhart is a buddhist , Eckhart isn't a buddhist I don't care, I find his work helpful, buddhist or not. :smile:

Why do you find it so important to label things buddhist?


I don't, that's your assumptioni entirely. I don't go around advertising to be a Buddhist or member of this or that sect or anything either.

I think the philosophy of Buddhism is important though, and in particular I think that the things that distance it from some Vedantic philosophy (which is bascially what Eckhart is teaching as far as I can tell) are important, especially since the Buddha himself thought the distinction was important enough to teach the heck out of it. The doctrine of Anatta was in opposition to many of thinkers of his day, and it seems to be in opposition to what Tolle is teaching.

In addition, I believe that while (like anything run by human beings) there is a ton of "mess" involved in tradition, I also believe there are many traditions with realized masters and teachings, so i'm a bit confused as to why someone is on a Buddhist forum, talking about how in line with Buddhism Tolle is, and also making a number of comments about how out of line mainstream Buddhism is with the Buddha's teachings.
"Just as a lotus does not grow out of a well-levelled soil but from the mire, in the same way the awakening mind
is not born in the hearts of disciples in whom the moisture of attachment has dried up. It grows instead in the hearts of ordinary sentient beings who possess in full the fetters of bondage." -Se Chilbu Choki Gyaltsen
User avatar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 2399
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:58 pm
Location: Olympia WA

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby martin123 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:02 am

Johnny
Dangerous wrote:
lowlydog wrote:
Johnny Dangerous wrote:Right, and i'm
asking who you think 'isn't doing what the Buddha taught'.

That is absolutely incorrect about The Buddha not caring about Buddhism,
he established a Sangha, a doctrine and discipline..what makes you
think he didn't "care about Buddhism" and where do you get that idea? it
certain isn't in the Pali Canon, which is the closest we can come to
his words historically, should I dig up some Dhammapada quotes for you
on the importance of the three refuges?

You seem to be getting more and more hostile towards Buddhism as it's
practiced as the thread goes on, on the one hand you say you care about
the eightfold path, but then you imply that (most, all some?) Buddhist
traditions aren't actually Buddhism. What exactly is Buddhism to you
then? The same Pali Canon that lays out the eightfold path also talks in
various places about the uniqueness of the doctrine, and it's
preservation and practice. If these things aren't Buddhism to you, then
what exactly is "your" Buddhism?

I'm not trying to make the thread hostile, but you've put this stuff out
there and i'm curious as to the answers. no hostility intended.


I think I've made myself clear, and I don't think this is a hostile
thread at all. I am also not sending hostility out to buddhists, my
friends call me a buddhist, I attend a buddhist temple, I simply do not
call myself a buddhist or think it is important to label this practice
as buddhist. Eckhart is a buddhist , Eckhart isn't a buddhist I don't
care, I find his work helpful, buddhist or not. :smile:

Why do you find it so important to label things buddhist?


I don't, that's your assumptioni entirely. I don't go around advertising
to be a Buddhist or member of this or that sect or anything either.

I think the philosophy of Buddhism is important though, and in
particular I think that the things that distance it from some Vedantic
philosophy (which is bascially what Eckhart is teaching as far as I can
tell) are important, especially since the Buddha himself thought the
distinction was important enough to teach the heck out of it. The
doctrine of Anatta was in opposition to many of thinkers of his day, and
it seems to be in opposition to what Tolle is teaching.

In addition, I believe that while (like anything run by human beings)
there is a ton of "mess" involved in tradition, I also believe there are
many traditions with realized masters and teachings, so i'm a bit
confused as to why someone is on a Buddhist forum, talking about how in
line with Buddhism Tolle is, and also making a number of comments about
how out of line mainstream Buddhism is with the Buddha's
teachings.

Tolle does not teach the doctrine of Anatta.
Martin
martin123
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:42 am

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby tobes » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:13 am

I have a certain sympathy for both sides on this thread, and a certain amount of distaste too!

I would like a little more metaphysical clarification though - I suppose from team Tolle: How is the root predicate of Being to be reconciled with the middle way?

This would seem to me to be an untenable disjuncture. If the Now is Being, that sounds pretty luscious and sweet, but if it's Being, it cannot be empty!

A plausible response might be: what matters is your experience of the Now, not how you explain it ontologically.

But it must be granted that those explanations matter to a lot of Buddhists. Hence the discord on the thread....

Here's why it matters: if you grant Being, you deny the Buddhist account of causation, and thus, you deny whole Buddhist soteriological path.

:anjali:
User avatar
tobes
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 1139
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:14 am

lowlydog wrote:“I am the way and the truth and the life.” These words uttered by Jesus are one of the most powerful and direct pointers to the Truth, if understood correctly.
Who judges what is correct understanding/interpretation of Truth? Who judges the qualifications of the judge? Tolle claims to have access to the truth and presents his view of it. Some judge his view as correct, others judge it as flawed. If you follow his reasoning and agree with it, there is nothing to guarantee that you have accessed the truth, you may just have entered into his view of the truth.

This is why in Vajrayana, for example, we are told to examine a teacher for 12 years before taking them as a guru. In these twelve years one will have seen other teachers too (in order to compare) and it gives one the opportunity to get over the infatuation that may be originally generated towards a teacher/their teaching. It also gives one the opportunity to watch the development of a teacher and to gauge ones own development based on the practices a teacher gives them.

Lineage is also important, in that we can compare the accomplishements and development of previous and other current teachers that have already followed the path of the teacher we are examining. When somebody does not belong to a lineage there is no point of reference for judging the long term efficacy of what is being taught.

So reign in that galloping shetland pony boys, coz there is still a long ride ahead of you, and it's (possibly) going to be tough trying to chew on ones cowboy boot in the future, especially when you get to the spurs.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9206
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby lowlydog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:16 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
lowlydog wrote:“I am the way and the truth and the life.” These words uttered by Jesus are one of the most powerful and direct pointers to the Truth, if understood correctly.
Who judges what is correct understanding/interpretation of Truth? Who judges the qualifications of the judge? Tolle claims to have access to the truth and presents his view of it. Some judge his view as correct, others judge it as flawed. If you follow his reasoning and agree with it, there is nothing to guarantee that you have accessed the truth, you may just have entered into his view of the truth.

This is why in Vajrayana, for example, we are told to examine a teacher for 12 years before taking them as a guru. In these twelve years one will have seen other teachers too (in order to compare) and it gives one the opportunity to get over the infatuation that may be originally generated towards a teacher/their teaching. It also gives one the opportunity to watch the development of a teacher and to gauge ones own development based on the practices a teacher gives them.

Lineage is also important, in that we can compare the accomplishements and development of previous and other current teachers that have already followed the path of the teacher we are examining. When somebody does not belong to a lineage there is no point of reference for judging the long term efficacy of what is being taught.

So reign in that galloping shetland pony boys, coz there is still a long ride ahead of you, and it's (possibly) going to be tough trying to chew on ones cowboy boot in the future, especially when you get to the spurs.
:namaste:


We are each our own masters.

You are told to examine a teacher for twelve years, not asked, this is manditory??? where in the satipatthana sutra does it mention this. I must confess this is the first time I'm hearing about this practice.

I have never been taught this, I've simply been taught a technique that allows insight to arise. :shrug:
lowlydog
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby lowlydog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 pm

Maybe this video will help with the discussion of self. http://youtu.be/r5T4RVYWoso :smile:
lowlydog
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby Sherab Dorje » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:44 pm

lowlydog wrote:where in the satipatthana sutra does it mention this.
Satipathana Sutta. You are referring to a Pali Canon teaching. A Pali Canon teaching will not have any references to Vajrayana practices.
We are each our own masters.
We are also all deluded, so this statement doesn't really say much. That is why we rely on realised teachers.
:namaste:
"When one is not in accord with the true view
Meditation and conduct become delusion,
One will not attain the real result
One will be like a blind man who has no eyes."
Naropa - Summary of the View from The Eight Doha Treasures
User avatar
Sherab Dorje
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9206
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Greece

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby lowlydog » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:11 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
lowlydog wrote:where in the satipatthana sutra does it mention this.
Satipathana Sutta. You are referring to a Pali Canon teaching. A Pali Canon teaching will not have any references to Vajrayana practices.
We are each our own masters.
We are also all deluded, so this statement doesn't really say much. That is why we rely on realised teachers.
:namaste:


I admit I am not very familiar with Vajrayana practices, but I thought the satipathana sutta was to be taken as the direct word of the buddha for all the different traditions.

Is a realized teacher deluded? Is there a certificate issued in Vajrayana tradition? In my tradition no certificates are issued, as it would lead to competition and create ego, ;people would become more interested in recognition than actually practicing.
lowlydog
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:50 pm

Re: Eckhart Tolle on christmas

Postby uan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:04 pm

gregkavarnos wrote:
lowlydog wrote:where in the satipatthana sutra does it mention this.
Satipathana Sutta. You are referring to a Pali Canon teaching. A Pali Canon teaching will not have any references to Vajrayana practices.



This seems to be the whole nub of this thread. Basically what relevance does Tolle have to Buddhism/Buddhist? No more or less than the Pali Canon (as just one example) has on Vajrayanna practices. Tolle may have more relevance to Theravadans than to Vajranans. Or not. I'm inclined to favor ChNN approach in Dzogchen that encourages appropriate secondary practices whether those practices come from Buddhist or Non-Buddhist traditions. If Tolle can help someone in their practice, then that is enough.

lowlydog wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:
lowlydog wrote:“I am the way and the truth and the life.” These words uttered by Jesus are one of the most powerful and direct pointers to the Truth, if understood correctly.
Who judges what is correct understanding/interpretation of Truth? Who judges the qualifications of the judge?


Compared to how the Buddha is referred to, and refers to himself, Jesus is rather modest. :tongue:
uan
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:58 am

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Astus, Practice, Yahoo [Bot] and 24 guests

>