YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Zolpidem - the common sleeping pill that wakes the comatose - Dhamma Wheel

Zolpidem - the common sleeping pill that wakes the comatose

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
rowboat

Zolpidem - the common sleeping pill that wakes the comatose

Postby rowboat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:21 am

This is very surprising.

Reborn
We have always been told there is no recovery from persistent vegetative state - doctors can only make a sufferer's last days as painless as possible. But is that really the truth? Across three continents, severely brain-damaged patients are awake and talking after taking ... a sleeping pill. And no one is more baffled than the GP who made the breakthrough. Steve Boggan witnesses these 'strange and wonderful' rebirths.

For three years, Riaan Bolton has lain motionless, his eyes open but unseeing. After a devastating car crash doctors said he would never again see or speak or hear. Now his mother, Johanna, dissolves a pill in a little water on a teaspoon and forces it gently into his mouth. Within half an hour, as if a switch has been flicked in his brain, Riaan looks around his home in the South African town of Kimberley and says, "Hello." Shortly after his accident, Johanna had turned down the option of letting him die.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2006/ ... dwellbeing
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

Khalil Bodhi

Re: Zolpidem - the common sleeping pill that wakes the comatose

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:36 pm

:anjali: Thanks for that.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:
My Practice Blog:

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:42 pm

It makes me wonder how many people had their lives cut short when a simple remedy could have brought them back.

Modus.Ponens

Postby Modus.Ponens » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:34 pm

How wonderful!!! :smile:

Here in Portugal, zolpidem is called stilnox.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

cooran

Postby cooran » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:48 pm

Hello all,

From Brisbane, Australia,
The Love Story you have to read‘’ As a member of the medical profession myself, despite the wonderful outcomes that Sam has achieved with Stilnox, I can understand my colleagues reluctance in advocating the use of this drug. We do not know how it achieves the effect that it does. We do not know what is the ‘safe’ dosing range for this drug. We do not know what side effects it causes and if there are any long term consequences. As miraculous as Stilnox has been for Sam, it could have very easily had no effect. Or an adverse one. To date, there have only been a handful of studies on the use of this drug in brain injuries. The largest of these studies from South Africa, showed some improvement in brain activity and functional ability to some extent in 10 out of the study’s 23 patients. What this translates to clinically however is perhaps the most relevant question and the only way to answer this is, of course, via more research.
In the meantime though, Sally is still planning to marry her prince and is hoping that one day, they can both live happily ever after.’’
http://www.mamamia.com.au/health-wellbe ... e-to-read/

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

rowboat

Postby rowboat » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:48 am

Just imagine the relief of the parents in this anecdote:

Across the Atlantic in the United States, George Melendez, who is also brain-damaged, has lain twitching and moaning as if in agony for years, causing his parents unbearable grief. He, too, is given this little tablet and again, it's as if a light comes on. His father asks him if he is, indeed, in pain. "No," George smiles, and his family burst into tears.

:heart:
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:57 pm

Although not usually as dramatic in their outcomes, paradoxical effects of medications are well described.
For some subjects , and for reasons not yet clear, barbiturates can act as a stimulant for example.
And for others amphetamines can act as a tranquilliser.

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:55 pm

When I fall into a coma, probably after my stroke, I want to be given as many different experimental drugs as possible to bring me back but my wife has strict instructions not to turn of any life support machines. I'd rather be a vegetable than be dead. I'd rather be in a coma than dead.

I am clinging VERY tightly to these aggregates. VERY tightly indeed. I know that clinging leads to suffering and I'm working on releasing my grip... but for now I'll openly admit that death scares the [censored] out of me. No point me hiding that fact, it's probably my greatest hinderance: my fear of death.

Return to “Lounge”