Lama Tashi Dondup a Tulku or not?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Harold

Lama Tashi Dondup a Tulku or not?

Post by Harold »

What if a western lama of a deceased Tulku is now suddenly calling himself the "Heart Son" of this Tulku?

The Tulku has been dead for over 9 years and he never gave this lama this title while he was alive.
Jinzang

Re: "HEART SON" Who can use this title?

Post by Jinzang »

I've met Lama Tashi Dondup and in my opinion he's an excellent lama, whether he is a tulku or not.
"It's as plain as the nose on your face!" Dottie Primrose
Harold

Post by Harold »

I did not question him about whether or not he was a LAMA.

He is a LAMA.

My question is about his claim that he is an unrecognized TULKU.

If you are not a recognized TULKU don't imply your one on your official website.

Don't refuse to answer any questions about it when you are asked to explain it.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Harold, are you the official investigative reporter for all things Vajrayana in the West? Over the years it's seemed like your research into potential Vajrayana charlatans has been such a full-time preoccupation for you, I wonder if you even have time to practice?
Funny, when people like henry from the old E-Sangha (and also a member here) used to have a website on 'frauds' that went into oblivion and as I recall, there were threats to sue him I think, no one tossed him this question? Or was it because he was a Mod back then?
Don't refuse to answer any questions about it when you are asked to explain it.
Have you tried asking the Vatican? :mrgreen:
Harold

Post by Harold »

People have tried and failed in their attempts to sue me.

I like the saying, "I shall use your own words to condemn you".

I don't get all the venom I get from people about the work I do.

Ever hear the Buddha's teachings on right speech and right action.

Ever hear of the "Dharmapala" teachings and practice.

How does my personal work hurt others if it is in fact true.

I got awards and citations for the same kind of work as a federal agent working against cults.

Then again no one liked me when I arrested them as an undercover agent for internal affairs.

Oh well
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

I mean, anyone who cares if someone is a tulku or not. It's no different than saying I dreamt I was a millionaire last night and then going out and spending the money.

All I am am saying about Lama Tashi Dhondup is that he seems to have the qualities of a realized teacher, at least as far as my deluded mind can judge these things. Whether or not he's a tulku doesn't matter. That's just someone's opinion about what he did in a previous life. Who should care about something like that?
mahabuddha

Post by mahabuddha »

Are you for real? You think are you an expert but yet you have no grasp of simple terminology such as tulku, rinpoche, heart son, etc., what does any of this have to do with your Dharma practice? Do these games create the causes and conditions for enlightened mind?
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

I don't think it is so bad what Harold is doing. We all believe the Guru is paramount in Tibetan Buddhism. Now, many of us might be aware there are many "Guru's" who don't deserve the title but, at the same time, there are many who don't know that. For them, it is a good thing people like Harold are out there. Even if it means our precious Buddhism might get scrutinized in ways we are not really comfortable with. Also, Harold claims to have 23 years of experience with investigating Cults and Con Artists so he has probably seen the damage both can do. That damage can just as easily be done by someone wearing a Tibetan skin as by someone wearing a white skin.
chokyi lodro

Post by chokyi lodro »

I agree that some prudent investigation ought to be done by persons who wish to take instruction from someone, but this appears more than that. Why spend so much time on this, Harold? There's more that can be done with your life than this! Lucky you that you're retired from policing (I'm still at the grind); use the time wisely!
~ Chökyi Lodrö
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Lama Tashi Dondup a Tulku or not?

Post by Grigoris »

Let me just say that this thread needed some major cosmetic surgery to bring it to the level of decency that it currently displays. Let's try to keep it this way or else:
lock down.jpg
lock down.jpg (7.51 KiB) Viewed 5517 times
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

plwk wrote:
Harold, are you the official investigative reporter for all things Vajrayana in the West? Over the years it's seemed like your research into potential Vajrayana charlatans has been such a full-time preoccupation for you, I wonder if you even have time to practice?
Funny, when people like henry from the old E-Sangha (and also a member here) used to have a website on 'frauds' that went into oblivion and as I recall, there were threats to sue him I think, no one tossed him this question? Or was it because he was a Mod back then?
I guess I never put that question to Henry because most of the time he made posts directly pertaining to Dharma practice and much less frequently about charlatans; plus, the people on his list were virtually all people that were wellll known among Western Buddhists to be full of it. So I was able to tune out most of his fanaticism.

But throughout the years of E-Sangha, then FreeSangha, and then Dharmawheel (and I think now maybe Vajracakra as well), whenever Harold has ever dropped by to post it has always, in every instance, been to raise a stink about some new person that that nobody's even heard of and who he doesn't even have any more than a negative hunch about... He just gets this feeling that they're up to something phony and diabolical and haunts these websites to hunt for evidence, and it's just kinda weird. I get it if you're minding your business, doing your practice, living your life, and you happen to come across someone who's clearly up to no good and harming people... You might feel an ethical and moral obligation to blow the whistle, especially considering what the tantras say about the devastating effects inauthentic "vajra masters" can have on people. But to go searching them out on some never-ending witch hunt? Just rubs me the wrong way I guess.
Last edited by Grigoris on Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Comment about moderation removed
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
justsit

Post by justsit »

Pema Rigdzin wrote:...you're minding your business, doing your practice, living your life, and you happen to come across someone who's clearly up to no good and harming people... You might feel an ethical and moral obligation to blow the whistle, especially considering what the tantras say about the devastating effects inauthentic "vajra masters" can have on people. ...
That brings up a question I've been pondering for a while.
When you do come across a bogus "vajra master" in your local area, what is the right course of action to follow?
Dorje Chang Buddha III :rolleye: has followers in my area and he turns up here occasionally. Flyers for his talks and local monthly meetings appear in the library and announcements are made in the newspaper.

This area has little or no overt Buddhist presence, obviously people don't know the difference, and most probably don't care.
So what to do?
Write indignant letters to the editor? Rip down the flyers? Crash the meetings? Post nasties on the internet?
Do nothing, leaving others to their karma? After all, this guy is a well known fraud, at least in internet circles.
Any suggestions?
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

justsit wrote:
Pema Rigdzin wrote:...you're minding your business, doing your practice, living your life, and you happen to come across someone who's clearly up to no good and harming people... You might feel an ethical and moral obligation to blow the whistle, especially considering what the tantras say about the devastating effects inauthentic "vajra masters" can have on people. ...
That brings up a question I've been pondering for a while.
When you do come across a bogus "vajra master" in your local area, what is the right course of action to follow?
Dorje Chang Buddha III :rolleye: has followers in my area and he turns up here occasionally. Flyers for his talks and local monthly meetings appear in the library and announcements are made in the newspaper.

This area has little or no overt Buddhist presence, obviously people don't know the difference, and most probably don't care.
So what to do?
Write indignant letters to the editor? Rip down the flyers? Crash the meetings? Post nasties on the internet?
Do nothing, leaving others to their karma? After all, this guy is a well known fraud, at least in internet circles.
Any suggestions?
Wow! He's still around? Amazing.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

justsit wrote:So what to do?
I'd invite some brawny local pals around for some beers and bourbon and then when they were tanked I would suggest dropping past the centre where the talk was being given (tell them there will be some good looking women/men, depending on their proclivities, there) before going to the local bar where you will treat them to a few more brews. Then, once there, I would challenge DJ3 on his views using some nasty underhanded swipes, and when the thing turned ugly, unleash my pals on the unsuspecting Buddhist geeks. If that doesn' stop DJ3 coming to town again, nothing will! :tongue:
Yudron wrote:Wow! He's still around? Amazing.
Of course he's still around, he's Dorje Chang, he'll be around forever! :tongue:

I'll consider a serious reply to your conundrum "justsit" once I finish my practice. Off the top of my head I would invite a real teacher and advertise in exactly the same spots where DJ3 advertises so that, hopefully, some of his students would come to see the real teacher and maybe understand for themselves that they are being dupped.
:namaste:

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

justsit wrote:Any suggestions?
Why not have some fun with it? Like so...

http://wh.gov/Uf88" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jinzang

Post by Jinzang »

Just ignore him. If asked, say that he has no genuine lineage.
Harold

Post by Harold »

I'd invite some brawny local pals around for some beers and bourbon and then when they were tanked I would suggest dropping past the centre where the talk was being given (tell them there will be some good looking women/men, depending on their proclivities, there) before going to the local bar where you will treat them to a few more brews. Then, once there, I would challenge DJ3 on his views using some nasty underhanded swipes, and when the thing turned ugly, unleash my pals on the unsuspecting Buddhist geeks. If that doesn' stop DJ3 coming to town again, nothing will!

To Gregkavarnos - Global Moderator re your above statment

Is it policy on this website that you can subject VIOLENCE as a solution to a problem ,even as a joke????
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

You also missed out on the fact that I promoted assisting people to break the precept on intoxicants and the precept regarding harsh (wrong) speech and the fact that I also recommended to fan the flames of desire in order to motivate the thugs.

I guess I will be going to hell in a handbag then... Oh well...

Please feel free to stop playing the Dharma cop.

catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

gregkavarnos wrote:
I'll consider a serious reply to your conundrum "justsit" once I finish my practice. Off the top of my head I would invite a real teacher and advertise in exactly the same spots where DJ3 advertises so that, hopefully, some of his students would come to see the real teacher and maybe understand for themselves that they are being dupped.
Is this a reference to Dorje Chang Buddha III? If so, she's female. At least I think she is.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

catmoon wrote:
gregkavarnos wrote:
Is this a reference to Dorje Chang Buddha III? If so, she's female. At least I think she is.
Yeah, I noticed the resemblance to "his" top nun. Could be.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”