YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Measureless mind - Dhamma Wheel

Measureless mind

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
alan

Measureless mind

Postby alan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:50 am

Hi All.
Recently there have been posts wondering about the idea that "everything is suffering", as well as questions about the usefulness of understanding Pali words. These questions are not easily answered within a forum, as they deserve time, attention and proper focus, and the essence of the question can be obscured as various people express their viewpoints. Sometimes it is useful to go to one source, someone you trust and know to be insightful, to get a basic overview of questions of this nature.
I recently came across the site of our friend Nana, and found it to be lucid, insightful, and inspiring. He offers some different translations of key words, and has an excellent introduction to the 4 truths. Good stuff that is well worth your time. Highly recommended!

Ben

Re: Measureless mind

Postby Ben » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:52 am

Its been a long time since I've checked out Geoff's site.
At moments like these I wish there were more hours in the day!
Alan, I'm glad you've found Geoff's site of benefit. One of these days I'll spend some more time there as well.
kind regards
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:56 am

Greetings,

I remember reading an earlier version of this site and finding the content to be very good.

As a Suttavadin (for want of a better term), I give it the thumbs up.

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

alan

Postby alan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:14 am

Hope I'm not barking into the wind here. Who doesn't love high thoughts and useful ideas?

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:40 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:56 am

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:33 am

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:58 pm

chownah

Postby chownah » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:28 am

My apologies to all if I have actually taken attention away from the topic here which is the "Measureless Mind" website....I looked...I saw...I liked.........of course just from being myself I found a few odds and ends that in my view could benefit from some touching up!!...but I won't rein in the parade nor rain on it further.....maybe later.....
chownah

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:13 am

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:03 am

Several times you use "full awareness (sampajāna)" but this Pali word is actually describing someone who has "sampajañña".
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

cooran

Postby cooran » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:00 am

Hello Bhante,

Just for the benefit of those of us who aren't familiar with those two words:

sampajāna

Source: A.P. Buddhadatta Mahathera, Concise Pali-English and English-Pali Dictionary [available as digital version from Metta Net, Sri Lanka]
Description: sampajāna : [adj.] thoughtful.
Source: Pali-English Dictionary, TW Rhys Davids, William Stede,
Description: sampajāna (adj.) [saŋ+pajāna, cp. pajānāti; bsk. sam- prajāna, mvastu i.206; ii.360] thoughtful, mindful, attentive, deliberate, almost syn. with sata, mindful d i.37; ii.94 sq.; sn 413, 931; it 10, 42; pug 25; d iii.49, 58, 221, 224 sq.; a iv.47 sq., 300 sq., 457 sq.; nd1 395; nd2 141. sampajānakārin acting with consideration or full attention d i.70; ii.95, 292; a ii.210; v.206; vbha 347 sq.; da i.184 sq.; sampājanamusāvāda deliberate lie vin iv.2; it 18; d iii.45; a i.128; iv.370; v.265; j i.23.
http://glossary.buddhistdoor.com/en/wor ... /sampajana
...................................................................................
sampajañña

Source: Buddhist Dictionary, Manual of Buddhist Terms and Doctrines, by NYANATILOKA MAHATHERA
Description:
sampajañña: 'clarity of consciousness', clear comprehension. This term is frequently met with in combination with mindfulness (sati). In D. 22, M. 10 it is said: "Clearly conscious is he in going and coming, clearly conscious in looking forward and backward, clearly conscious in bending and stretching his body; clearly conscious in eating, drinking, chewing and tasting, clearly conscious in discharging excrement and urine; clearly conscious in walking, standing, sitting, falling asleep and awakening; clearly conscious in speaking and keeping silent." - For a definition of the term sati-sampajañña, s. Pug. 86.
According to the Com., 'clarity of consciousness' is of 4 kinds: regarding the purpose, the suitability, (inclusion in the meditative) domain, and the undeluded conception of the activity concerned. Explained in detail in Com. to Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta. (tr. in The Way of Mindfulness, by Soma Thera; BPS).

Source: A.P. Buddhadatta Mahathera, Concise Pali-English and English-Pali Dictionary [available as digital version from Metta Net, Sri Lanka]
Description:
sampajañña : [nt.] discrimination; comprehension.
Source: Pali-English Dictionary, TW Rhys Davids, William Stede,
Description: sampajañña (nt.) [fr. sampajāna, i. e. *sampajānya] atten- tion, consideration, discrimination, comprehension, circumspection a i.13 sq.; ii.93; iii.307; iv.320; v.98 sq.; s iii.169; d iii.213 (sati+samp. opp. to muṭṭha -- sacca+ asampajañña), 273. description of it in detail at da i.183 sq.=vbha 347 sq., where given as fourfold, viz. sātthaka˚, sappāya˚, gocara˚, asammoha˚, with examples. often combined with sati, with which almost synonymous, e. g. at d i.63; a i.43; ii.44 sq.; v.115, 118.
http://glossary.buddhistdoor.com/en/search

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

Nyana

Postby Nyana » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:23 pm

Kumara

Re: Measureless mind (Geoffrey Shatz's website)

Postby Kumara » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:15 am

I'm not just a monk. I'm a human being. — Sayadaw U Jotika

Spiny Norman

Re: Measureless mind (Geoffrey Shatz's website)

Postby Spiny Norman » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:17 am

"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”