Is this a green or white Tara?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Feathers

Is this a green or white Tara?

Post by Feathers »

Hi! I was just wondering if I could get some quick info? Is this a green or white Tara?

http://www.ebay.de/itm/130808819934?var ... 758wt_1154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To me it looks like a green - one leg stepping down - but I don't know enough to be sure. I'm after a green Tara statue, and it's surprisingly hard to get in the UK, hence resorting to German ebay.

Thanks in advance for any info :-)
futerko

Re: Is this a green or white Tara?

Post by futerko »

Also some nice ones here, to suit many price ranges http://www.garudashop.com/category_s/48.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The one you linked certainly looks like a green rather than white Tara statue.
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

I'm going to go out on a limb here with my limited new knowledge... Green Tara because her right foot is stepping down from the lotus. White Tara is seated in a lotus posture. White Tara will also have markings for eyes on the soles of her feet, her forehead and I believe her hands. Did I get that right?
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
oṃ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya
futerko

Post by futerko »

Jainarayan wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here with my limited new knowledge... Green Tara because her right foot is stepping down from the lotus. White Tara is seated in a lotus posture. White Tara will also have markings for eyes on the soles of her feet, her forehead and I believe her hands. Did I get that right?
Yes, more or less.
Green Tara is ready to spring into action as she represents enlightened activity, and the colour green also symbolises activity and accomplishment (though I'm not sure why). Her left hand is in the refuge-granting mudra, and her right hand makes the boon-granting gesture. In her hands she also holds closed blue lotuses which symbolize purity and power. Her primary role is as a saviouress due to the idea that she helps her followers overcome dangers, fears, anxieties, and difficult worldly situations. Green Tara is a fiercer form but still intensely compassionate and acts quickly to help those who call upon her.

White Tara is sometimes called the Mother of all Buddhas and represents the motherly aspect of compassion. Her white colour signifies purity, wisdom and truth, and she often has seven eyes symbolising vigilance and ability to see all the suffering in the world. Her posture is one of grace and calm - Her right hand makes the boon-granting gesture and her left hand is in the protective mudra. In her left hand she holds a lotus flower with three blooms signifying the past Buddha Kashyapa, the present Buddha Shakyamuni, and the future Buddha Maitreya. These three blooms symbolize that Tara is the essence of the three Buddhas. She is also is believed to help her followers overcome obstacles, but in this case it is those that inhibit practice, and she is also associated with longevity.
Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

Great info, thanks. :smile:
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
oṃ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya
Feathers

Post by Feathers »

Thanks guys/gals, order placed :-)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”