How can you live completly under the Noble Eigthfold Path

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
Carterl

How can you live completly under the Noble Eigthfold Path

Post by Carterl »

Other way to put the question: if you want to survive on Saha world, if you want to have some decent life (with a job to get money so you can eat, have an house to sleep, etc, etc), sometimes you must to get over the precepts...have you ever tought on that?
Jesse

Re: How can you live completly under the Noble Eigthfold Path

Post by Jesse »

I think the precepts are there mainly to cultivate specific qualities in yourself, a means to an end, breaking them isn't a sin, or some horrible crime.. most of it is also intention, you want to cultivate these things in yourself so you follow them and breaking one now and then doesn't hurt anything as far as I know.
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
futerko

Post by futerko »

ghost01 wrote:I think the precepts are there mainly to cultivate specific qualities in yourself, a means to an end, breaking them isn't a sin, or some horrible crime.. most of it is also intention, you want to cultivate these things in yourself so you follow them and breaking one now and then doesn't hurt anything as far as I know.
Exactly - you need to work with circumstances - that's why it is called a path rather than the 8 commandments.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Kye ho! Listen with sympathy!
With insight into your sorry worldly predicament,
realising that nothing can last, that all is as dreamlike illusion,
meaningless illusion provoking frustration and boredom,
turn around and abandon your mundane pursuits.

-Tilopa
This life lasts 60 years on average and you can't bring your wealth or processions to your next lives. The future lives are infinite and you bring karma/merit with you to your next lives.

The choice isn't choosing which is more important: the Dharma or an enjoyable life. The choice is choosing which is more important: 60 years or eternity.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

I think the precepts and the 8 fold path are conducive to living a decent life. That's why it was created :smile:

Gassho,
Seishin.
Quiet Heart

Post by Quiet Heart »

:smile: :smile: :smile:
Easily.
Every day you have your choices to make. If you are guided by your understanding of the Dharma your choices are easy.
You just do what you feel is right and true.
How else has it ever been?
Even since the Buddha left his home, (that was his choice that he made then) there has always been a choice to make.
Simply choose your path based on your understanding, and follow it.
If you look with undestanding and clarity of vision you may see that not one thing in either the layman's world or the monastic world is anything but a true expression of the Dharma.
You just need to see it and understand it's true nature.
Do not be afraid, there is no shame in unintended failure, If you realise you are going the wong way, just turn around and go where you feel is the right way.
Really, there never has been any other choixe anyhow, has there?
:smile: :smile:
Shame on you Shakyamuni for setting the precedent of leaving home.
Did you think it was not there--
in your wife's lovely face
in your baby's laughter?
Did you think you had to go elsewhere (simply) to find it?
from - Judyth Collin
The Layman's Lament
From What Book, 1998, p. 52
Edited by Gary Gach
seeker242

Post by seeker242 »

Carterl wrote:Other way to put the question: if you want to survive on Saha world, if you want to have some decent life (with a job to get money so you can eat, have an house to sleep, etc, etc), sometimes you must to get over the precepts...have you ever tought on that?

What does "get over the precepts" mean? Does it mean to break them? I don't see why one would need to break them just to have money, food, house, etc. Plenty of people live a noble life, not breaking the precepts, while still being able to obtain money, food, etc.
One should not kill any living being, nor cause it to be killed, nor should one incite any other to kill. Do never injure any being, whether strong or weak, in this entire universe!
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Hi Carterl,

I'm curious to find out what you think about the different perspectives that have been given on your question so far. What's your take?
windsweptliberty

Post by windsweptliberty »

Konchog1 wrote:
Kye ho! Listen with sympathy!
With insight into your sorry worldly predicament,
realising that nothing can last, that all is as dreamlike illusion,
meaningless illusion provoking frustration and boredom,
turn around and abandon your mundane pursuits.

-Tilopa
This life lasts 60 years on average and you can't bring your wealth or processions to your next lives. The future lives are infinite and you bring karma/merit with you to your next lives.

The choice isn't choosing which is more important: the Dharma or an enjoyable life. The choice is choosing which is more important: 60 years or eternity.
:good:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Let's see:

Don't Kill
Don't Steal
Don't climb on your buddy's wife/husband/boyfriend/whatever
Don't Lie
Don't Get Wasted

It's all doable, why would you need to forget it? Like anything you might fall off the wagon, but then you make an effort (relates to right effort, right attentiveness, right view, right concentration, right intent) to get back on it, and that's that, I don't think there is anything all that complicated there. Part of following the eightfold path is actually self-corrective, you are following the path by corrective activity when you begin to stray from it. Right View is so important because without it you might not know when you stray, and Right Intent to change is only possible with Right View.

Honestly, I think the idea that one can't adhere to this stuff and still live a "normal life" is more of an impediment than actual normal life ever is...
IMO if you really try your "normal life" actually gets better, you have more open interaction with others, you are more comfortable in your own skin, you can accept the shortcomings of yourself and others more easily, etc. If you have addictive problems (I do) it can be hard, but even the mundane, worldy effects by themselves are enough to make it worth it, outside of the really important stuff. When I have a hard time motivating myself, I find it helps to remind myself that everything for me even in mundane life is better with practicing the Dharma than it is without it.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

You can live a life that ignores the Precepts and the Eightfold Path if you choose. Many people do, and they survive. But they suffer.

To the extent that you can follow them, you reduce suffering. To the extent that you avoid them, you increase suffering. Your choice.

Om mani padme hum
Keith
songhill

Post by songhill »

Carterl wrote:Other way to put the question: if you want to survive on Saha world, if you want to have some decent life (with a job to get money so you can eat, have an house to sleep, etc, etc), sometimes you must to get over the precepts...have you ever tought on that?
You can relax. The ariyan or noble eightfold path is not for worldings (puthujjana). The path is only for holy persons, that is, sotapanna (current winner), sakadagamin (returning once), anagmin (one who does not return), and arahant (most worthy: one who has reached final sanctification). The ariyan eightfold path begins with supermundane right view which comes first followed by right resolves, right speech, etc. Right view races on ahead (S. i. 33). It prepares the path (SA. i. 88).
AdamAnt

Post by AdamAnt »

ghost01 wrote:I think the precepts are there mainly to cultivate specific qualities in yourself, a means to an end, breaking them isn't a sin, or some horrible crime.. most of it is also intention, you want to cultivate these things in yourself so you follow them and breaking one now and then doesn't hurt anything as far as I know.
Breaking is no sin or crime but it creates negative karma.
Om Mani Peme Hung
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

Saddly, if you want to have good economic confort on your life most of the time you must do the opposite of the Noble Eightfold Path. At least in Portugal, the richest men are liars, corrupts and bastards using "small" people as slave for their works.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”