Doing a goenka retreat while beeing a kagyu student?

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
TaTa

Doing a goenka retreat while beeing a kagyu student?

Post by TaTa »

I'm analyzing the possibility of going to a goenka retreat although im really interested in tibetan buddhism. I would like to know how i would response to a retreat like that and im thinking that maybe it would be a nice base before going into more "complex" vajrayana practices. What do you think fellow practitioners?
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Doing a goenka retreat while beeing a kagyu student?

Post by Grigoris »

:twothumbsup: Goenka retreats are fantastic. I have a fellow vajra brother in the Kagyu tradition that also "leads" Goenka retreats and has taught Goenka Vipassana at Kagyu centres.

Now the only problem is if you have samaya for practices, but even then... it is not as if you will be leaving the practices to engage in sex, drugs and rock'n'roll (and there's always Vajrasattva practice and 35 Confession Buddha practices to make up for the samaya breakages).
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

The only samaya i have is to recite sangye menla's mantra 7 times a day. Does it count if i do it mentaly? Or maybe i can break the silence in the reatret for that porpuse only hehe
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

gregkavarnos wrote: the only problem is if you have samaya for practices (and there's always Vajrasattva practice and 35 Confession Buddha practices to make up for the samaya breakages).
Preforming wrong actions and then confessing them and so forth is like drinking poison and then drinking the antidote.

"Since you greatly extend the time needed to attain such things as knowledge of the path, strive not to be tarnished by faults from the start. The Buddha said that for this reason noble beings do not consciously engage in even the subtlest of sins or infractions, even for the sake of their own lives. If it was the case that purity through confession was similar to faults that have never taken place, then there would be no need to act in this way."
-Lam Rim Chen Mo eng v01 pg. 257 tib pg 201
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

Take a look at Bhante Madawela Punnaji for a system that more resembles Kagyu mahamudra.
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Konchog1 wrote:Preforming wrong actions and then confessing them and so forth is like drinking poison and then drinking the antidote.

"Since you greatly extend the time needed to attain such things as knowledge of the path, strive not to be tarnished by faults from the start. The Buddha said that for this reason noble beings do not consciously engage in even the subtlest of sins or infractions, even for the sake of their own lives. If it was the case that purity through confession was similar to faults that have never taken place, then there would be no need to act in this way."
Doing a 24 hour per day Vipassana retreat instead of seven Medicine Buddha mantras a day is wrong action??? Chill out dude! I am sure that if they talk to the lama that gave them the samaya, that they will be quite happy for TaTa to "make up" for the whole 7 mantra a day that they "missed out" on during the course of the retreat. I'm also sure that Sangye Menla won't mind that TaTa spent 10 days practicing like a lunatic in order to better benefit sentient beings.

Vows are taken to affect ones mind stream in a positive manner, if the vow is "broken" for a greater positive effect then the intention behind the vow has not been broken. ie no infraction. Vows are not about guilt trips. Chill out!

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
deepbluehum

Post by deepbluehum »

If you engage in Theravada methods with a Mahayana attitude, it is not Hinayana.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Konchog1 wrote:Preforming wrong actions and then confessing them and so forth is like drinking poison and then drinking the antidote.

Doing a 24 hour per day Vipassana retreat instead of seven Medicine Buddha mantras a day is wrong action??? Chill out dude! I am sure that if they talk to the lama that gave them the samaya, that they will be quite happy for TaTa to "make up" for the whole 7 mantra a day that they "missed out" on during the course of the retreat. I'm also sure that Sangye Menla won't mind that TaTa spent 10 days practicing like a lunatic in order to better benefit sentient beings.

Vows are taken to affect ones mind stream in a positive manner, if the vow is "broken" for a greater positive effect then the intention behind the vow has not been broken. ie no infraction. Vows are not about guilt trips. Chill out!
When did I ever mention Vipassana retreats? My objection was to your assertion that wrong actions can be preformed because one can simply practice the four powers afterwards. My understanding is that that is not a correct view.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Yes, well, maybe you gotta look at peoples comments within the context of the discussion before running off on tangents!? :tongue:

plwk

Post by plwk »

What does your teacher think, TaTa, if you have one?
TaTa

Post by TaTa »

plwk wrote:What does your teacher think, TaTa, if you have one?
I do but unfortunately i wont be able to see him for a couple of months because he went on reatreat and the activites in my local center are suspended in summer, and i also go on a 1 or 2 month trips now. (here in buenos aires in january nobody is left in the city =P ) so i wont be able to talk to him about this. Although i consider him my teacher i have only went to this kagyu center for a couple of months so maybe he wont mind hehe. i dont really know!
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I did a Vipassana retreat while a student of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche..in fact he sent a whole bunch of us to do several.
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
jhonsmith

Post by jhonsmith »

Take a look at Bhante Madawela Punnaji for a system that more resembles Kagyu mahamudra. Theravada methods with a Mahayana attitude,,,....!!!

:applause: :applause: :applause:
If you are looking for fast success in Pass4sure C4090-451 exams then join today to explore Isaca completecertification on first try. A person can chose Harvard University & a+ training for his easiness.

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”