Meditation timer app for Android (free)

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
tslocum

Meditation timer app for Android (free)

Post by tslocum »

Download on the Google Play Store

I am writing an Android meditation timer and would appreciate any feedback. Several of the features included were suggested by beta testers.

Once you've finished meditating, you can post it to MediNET which is a community of meditators. This has the added benefit of saving records of your sessions online, where you can view them at any time.
Sara H

Re: Meditation timer app for Android (free)

Post by Sara H »

Not to shoot down your aspirations but there's actually quite a good one already on the market.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rch_result

You might try downloading that one and seeing how you can improve upon it's design.

One thing that might be helpful that that one doesn't offer, is the ability to set "softer" and "harder" bell strikes, (perhaps three different "hardness" settings?) more in line with Zen practice, as well as perhaps offering a the option to let a final strike "trail off" in a more natural way rather than abruptly end the sound.

Also, I think some diversity options in the gong and bell types would be appreciated by many.

Perhaps not only a few varieties of "Zen" gongs, but also bells, and wooden blocks and clappers as well as some Tibetan sounds.

There is also a "zen alarm clock" made by Now & Zen that uses a chime that rings down in a Fibonacci/Golden ratio spiral of strikes.
Not everyone would use that option, but I'm sure some yoga people and others would be thrilled by the option.

Good luck on you programing, it's nice to see more Buddhist apps in the Marketplace.

In Gassho,

Sara H.
Observing your mind is a good idea.
Huifeng

Re: Meditation timer app for Android (free)

Post by Huifeng »

Will test for you. Am installing now. In the last two retreats I've led, I used the basic alarm on my phone, set to vibrate, for the timer. It means I don't have to always check the clock, which is particularly problematic for me because poor eyesight means I need to have my classes on. The alarm on vibrate totally solves this, I can just meditate on until it buzzes.

Do we give feedback here? Or... where? (Okay, I see you have a built in report stats feature option.)

~~ Huifeng

Return to “Meditation”