Possible Nyingma Kama Wangs

Yudron

Possible Nyingma Kama Wangs

Post by Yudron »

It is possible that Yangthang Tulku Rinpoche may transmit the wangs of the Nyingma Kama at Orgyen Dorje Den, in Alameda, CA, (U.S.), starting in Mid February and continuing for about a month. Rinpoche has been unable to commit 100%, but this tentative date has been scheduled. The website http://www.orgyendorjeden.org is not updated regularly; they communicate via email. There is no need to email them for more info: as of today they don't know any more than that. Sign up for their email list if you want to be kept up to date, they are very good at releasing information as soon as they receive it.

The Nyingma Kama:
http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Kama

Some bio on Yangthang Tulku Rinpoche, from when he gave the RInchen Terdzod at the same center:
http://www.orgyendorjeden.org/RT_YTR.html

Hope to see some of you old Dharma geeks there!
Grigoris
Former staff member

Re: Possible Nyingma Kama Wangs

Post by Grigoris »

Wow, am I jealous or what that I don't have access to stuf like this!!! You lucky blighters! Oh, well, next lifetime! :(
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

gregkavarnos wrote:Wow, am I jealous or what that I don't have access to stuf like this!!! You lucky blighters! Oh, well, next lifetime! :(
Gyatrul Rinpoche and his disciples really have done the most to establish the entire Nyingma lineage--not just one or two terma traditions--in the U.S. While we all have our own teachers, centers, and sub-lineages to serve, practice and support, it's good to keep Orgyen Dorje Den and Tashi Choling, in our prayers. They are working their you-know-whats off for the benefit of us sentient beings and the Dharma.
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

What is a Kama Wang? I would have expected to hear Kama Lung. This basically means he is going to read the entire Nyingma Kama, correct? Do you know if it's likely there will be an English interpreter?
ratna

Post by ratna »

There are quite a number of wangs in the Nyingma Kama, starting from Kriya deities such as Medicine Buddha up to the grand wangchens of Maha and Anu, and the three series of Dzogchen.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

tomamundsen wrote:What is a Kama Wang? I would have expected to hear Kama Lung. This basically means he is going to read the entire Nyingma Kama, correct? Do you know if it's likely there will be an English interpreter?
Yes, they have only mentioned wangs so far. I don't know whether all the lungs will be given. The ODD folks will probably announce that when he says he is sure he can come. You may notice there has been no big announcement yet. But, they are begin kind enough to give the approximate date because some people have put their lives on hold so that they can attend this.

I'm sure there will be a translator. Their usual translator is Sangye Khandro.

This is a really big deal. I told one elder Nyingma lama I know, and he is going to come down receive it a second time (if it happens.) All the lamas really respect Yangthang Tulku and he is not getting any younger.

For me, I'm going because I am not a good practitioner, and I think I need to receive lots of blessings.
heart

Post by heart »

http://nyingma-kater.blogspot.se/2012/0 ... nding.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I found this, an amazing collection of empowerment's it seems like.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

heart wrote:http://nyingma-kater.blogspot.se/2012/0 ... nding.html

I found this, an amazing collection of empowerment's it seems like.

/magnus
Quite a find! It looks like it took him a couple of weeks to do these wangs. Maybe if he stays for a month he can do the lungs as well.

It's funny--among other things, this is clearly where three of the nine yanas of the Nyingma system are transmitted to us. The three that are virtually never practiced anymore.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Yudron wrote:It's funny--among other things, this is clearly where three of the nine yanas of the Nyingma system are transmitted to us. The three that are virtually never practiced anymore.
Can you please expand and clarify this statement a little.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Yeti wrote:
Yudron wrote:It's funny--among other things, this is clearly where three of the nine yanas of the Nyingma system are transmitted to us. The three that are virtually never practiced anymore.
The only time I have ever experienced the outer tantras--kriya, charya, yogatantras ( the fourth through 6th yanas, respectively), was when a Khenpo told me at a Stupa consecration that the ceremony was from the outer tantras. In the Nyingma circles in which I travel, the only practices we do are ngondro and the inner tantras, and all these are done with the view of the 9th yana, Dzogchen.

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Nine_yanas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Yudron wrote:
Yeti wrote:
The only time I have ever experienced the outer tantras--kriya, charya, yogatantras ( the fourth through 6th yanas, respectively), was when a Khenpo told me at a Stupa consecration that the ceremony was from the outer tantras. In the Nyingma circles in which I travel, the only practices we do are ngondro and the inner tantras, and all these are done with the view of the 9th yana, Dzogchen.

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?title=Nine_yanas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There are many empowerment cycles in the terma tradition that contain outer, inner, secret and most secret sadhanas. One that comes to mind is the Dakini cycle from the Longchen Nyingthik, where the outer is Tara, the inner is Dechen Gyalmo, etc, etc. So the outer cycle is an outer tantra practice, not an inner like the rest of the cycle. I'm pretty sure this is not an isolated case.

Also, amongst the Kahma cycle, there are quite a number of empowerments that are intended for only vidhyadharas. It states in the empowerment text that one has to be on one of the vidhyadhara levels to receive those empowerments, so AFAIK they must have been intended specifically for those practitioners at that time. I guess the rest of us just receive some sort of blessing when attending those empowerments.
"People are fond of saying all sorts of things about others behind their backs, mentioning their names again and again. Instead of slandering others in this way, “slander” the yidam: utter his name repeatedly by reciting his mantra all the time." - Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche - Zurchungpa’s Testament - Shambhala Publications
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

As stated here, http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Cate ... jom_Tersar, you have;
  • The "Tsokyi Thugthig" cycle, for the practices on the outer, inner, secret and innermost secret sadhanas of the Lama;
  • The "Khandro Thugthig" cycle, for the practices on the outer, inner, secret and innermost secret sadhanas of the Khandro
There's many termas which contain the outer, inner, secret and innermost secret sadhanas in their cycle.
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Yeti wrote:As stated here, http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Cate ... jom_Tersar, you have;
  • The "Tsokyi Thugthig" cycle, for the practices on the outer, inner, secret and innermost secret sadhanas of the Lama;
  • The "Khandro Thugthig" cycle, for the practices on the outer, inner, secret and innermost secret sadhanas of the Khandro
There's many termas which contain the outer, inner, secret and innermost secret sadhanas in their cycle.
No, the outer, inner, etc.. when used in that context do not refer to the outer tantras versus the inner tantras. Different schema. All the Dudjom Tersar sadhanas you named belong to Mahayoga -- usually maha-ati. Even in places where there is an external deity as well as an internal one, such as Orgyen Menlha, they are all Mahayoga. I've done all these practices extensively and received teachings on them.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

Yudron wrote:
Yeti wrote:As stated here, http://rywiki.tsadra.org/index.php/Cate ... jom_Tersar, you have;
No, the outer, inner, etc.. when used in that context do not refer to the outer tantras versus the inner tantras. Different schema. All the Dudjom Tersar sadhanas you named belong to Mahayoga -- usually maha-ati. Even in places where there is an external deity as well as an internal one, such as Orgyen Menlha, they are all Mahayoga. I've done all these practices extensively and received teachings on them.
Okay, thanks.
heart

Post by heart »

Yudron wrote:
Yeti wrote:

The very famous green tara from Chokling Tersar is considered kriya tantra. The Nyungye fasting ritual, quite wides spread, is also kriya. But in general I think you are right, it is mainly inner tantras.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

tomamundsen wrote:What is a Kama Wang? I would have expected to hear Kama Lung. This basically means he is going to read the entire Nyingma Kama, correct? Do you know if it's likely there will be an English interpreter?
Tom, I think perhaps you're confusing kama with some other word, like maybe Kangyur? Kama just means oral transmission lineage, as opposed to terma, the rediscovered treasures lineage. If you think of how the overwhelming majority of the Sarma tantric practices have been passed on, that is basically the equivalent of kama means.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Pema Rigdzin

Post by Pema Rigdzin »

I must add that Yangthang Rinpoche is .. I dunno how to appropriately try to capture it in words. But I have always been blown away by him. When you first meet him, you wouldn't expect such a description to be given about him because he just seems like a very sweet, soft-spoken, pleasant old man without an ounce of pretense and just completely effortlessly easygoing. But just prepare to be blown away. Saddens me that this is likely the last time we'll ever be blessed with his presence in the U.S., assuming things come together and he's able to make it here like we're hoping.
Pema Rigdzin/Brian Pittman
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

heart wrote:The very famous green tara from Chokling Tersar is considered kriya tantra. The Nyungye fasting ritual, quite wides spread, is also kriya. But in general I think you are right, it is mainly inner tantras.
/magnus
Actually I was thinking exactly about this sadhana as even the Gelugpas adopted and practice this sadhana. As they do with Thangtong Gyalpo's Chenrezig sadhana which is also an outer tantra terma.
Yeti

Post by Yeti »

I would appreciate it if someone could please clearly explain the difference between the classification of outer, inner, secret and most secret, as related in terma cycles, and how that is a different classification to the one of outer and inner tantras.
T. Chokyi

Post by T. Chokyi »

Yeti wrote:I would appreciate it if someone could please clearly explain the difference between the classification of outer, inner, secret and most secret, as related in terma cycles, and how that is a different classification to the one of outer and inner tantras.
This maybe a good place to start:

http://www.rigpawiki.org/index.php?titl ... _of_tantra" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:namaste:

Return to “Nyingma”