Hello to all

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
justsit

Re: Hello to all

Post by justsit »

Whoa, how'd you do with Sandy?

If you're interested in visiting a Buddhist center not too far from you, the Mahayana Sutra and Tantra Center is located in Howell. Very traditional and authentic lineage.
Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

I'm about 7 miles inland, so we just lost trees, fences, power, that sort of thing. In my area it was a major annoyance, but other areas were devastated. The barrier islands of Long Beach Island and Sea Bright are virtually gone. People in those areas lost everything. The amusement pier at Seaside Heights, right over the ocean, is a thing of the past. One of the little bumper cars was carried 6 miles inland by the water.

Btw, thanks for the link. I'm not far from Howell.
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
oṃ namo bhagavate vāsudevāya
justsit

Post by justsit »

Glad to hear you were OK inland. My sister in Flemington had no power for 2 weeks due to downed wires, but otherwise fine.
We were really lucky here; if the eye had come ashore a mere 20 miles further south than it did, we'd have seen that kind
of devastation.
:anjali:
Rakshasa

Post by Rakshasa »

Hi Jainarayan,

You look very interesting. Your name suggested that you are a Jain, but it turns out you are a Hindu who is interested in Buddhism!

If you are a Hindu, what caste do you belong to?
Last edited by Grigoris on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic statements removed
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Hello Jainarayan,

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

Chenrezig was my main daily practice for over a year BEFORE I took refuge.

The Chenrezig and Tara practices are open to all to participate. Nowadays the sadhana are freely available on the internet. Initially you would not have had access to the written sadhana if you had not received the transmission of the text. But times have changed...

So feel free to practice Chenrezig/Avalokitesvara and Tara (who is the same Tara of Hindu fame, anyway) without having gone through the formality of refuge, etc... because, since you are reading (and being inspired by) Buddhist texts, doing Buddhist practices and associating with Buddhist sangha then (realistically) you have already gone for refuge to the Three Jewels!

Do make the effort to go see a real life Sangha, ignore any sectarian nonsense they may try to throw your way. I have many friends that are serious practitioners and teachers of Satyananda yoga and are very serious Buddhist practitioners too.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

Rakshasa wrote:Hi Jainarayan,

You look very interesting. Your name suggested that you are a Jain, but it turns out you are a Hindu who is interested in Buddhism!
Actually the name means Victory/Hail to God, Jai Nārāyan (Nārāyan = Vishnu) in Hindi, Jaya Nārāyanāya in Sanskrit.
If you are a Hindu, what caste do you belong to? Do you know why all the Buddhist Tantras show Buddhist gods and goddesses trampling on Hindu gods?
I'm born American, an Italian-American convert to Hinduism, so no caste or varna.
Last edited by Grigoris on Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off topic statements removed
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

Thanks. :smile:
gregkavarnos wrote:Hello Jainarayan,

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!

Chenrezig was my main daily practice for over a year BEFORE I took refuge.

The Chenrezig and Tara practices are open to all to participate. Nowadays the sadhana are freely available on the internet. Initially you would not have had access to the written sadhana if you had not received the transmission of the text. But times have changed...

So feel free to practice Chenrezig/Avalokitesvara and Tara (who is the same Tara of Hindu fame, anyway) without having gone through the formality of refuge, etc... because, since you are reading (and being inspired by) Buddhist texts, doing Buddhist practices and associating with Buddhist sangha then (realistically) you have already gone for refuge to the Three Jewels!
That sounds about where I'd want to be, and what I feel. As I mentioned, Tārā, I came to find out, is another representation of the Divine Mother: Shakti, Kali, Durga, Lakshmi, Gayatri, et. al. I already worship them in their "special" aspects and attributes, even Guanyin (I know, the female version of Avalokiteshvara ;)) so Tārā fits right in. I understand that Green Tārā and White Tārā are the two most popular? Manjushri, in my understanding cuts through ignorance, which is a major aspect of Goddess Saraswati. I'm in this because I think it's something Sri Vishnu/Krishna wants me to do... become as enlightened as I can (for however many lives it takes) to help others reach enlightenment. That sounds full of myself but I think you know what I mean... sort of like Avalokiteshvara forgoing liberation out of compassion for others.

It makes sense when you said "(realistically) you have already gone for refuge to the Three Jewels!" because I'm one of those Vaishnavas that believe Vishnu incarnated as the Buddha. He says that from age to age he incarnates when there is a decline in righteousness and dharma; it seems that was happening at the time the Buddha began teaching in order to restore dharma. I believe even the Buddha said there would come a time when he and the dharma would be forgotten. I should also mention, that while I believe in and love the deities of the Hindu and Buddhist pantheon (I'm really a henotheist), I too feel that Hinduism is not what it should be. I'd be drawn and quartered by many Hindus (if most even care) but a lot of it has become mindlessly ritualistic with superstitions galore. Many people take the Purānas as literal history and not for the morality tales and stories I believe they are.
Do make the effort to go see a real life Sangha, ignore any sectarian nonsense they may try to throw your way. I have many friends that are serious practitioners and teachers of Satyananda yoga and are very serious Buddhist practitioners too.
Thanks, I may very well visit the center that's near me. I've become dislillusioned with the Hindu temple I was attending because it is so big and grand, almost like a shopping mall with people going from puja to puja like it was trick-or-treat. I feel more peace and spirituality at my own little (which is growing out of control) home shrine!
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Jainarayan wrote:Manjushri, in my understanding cuts through ignorance, which is a major aspect of Goddess Saraswati.
We have Saraswati practice in Vajrayana Buddhism too. I received an empowerment for her practice about 18 months ago. Actually she is considered Manjushris consort: wisdom manifesting as enlightened speech/sound.

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

:hi:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Discussion on Tantric deities split to here http://dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f= ... ead#unread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

gregkavarnos wrote:
Jainarayan wrote:Manjushri, in my understanding cuts through ignorance, which is a major aspect of Goddess Saraswati.
We have Saraswati practice in Vajrayana Buddhism too. I received an empowerment for her practice about 18 months ago. Actually she is considered Manjushris consort: wisdom manifesting as enlightened speech/sound.
See, ya learn something new every day! :twothumbsup: Yes, in Hinduism she is the goddess of speech, music, arts, literature, wisdom, purity, etc. It stands to reason she would be the consort of Manjushri. In Hinduism she is the consort of Brahmā, the creator god, but he has a very minor role anymore. When I was learning to play guitar, after I put a picture of her near my playing area, my playing took off like a starship.
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Jainarayan

Post by Jainarayan »

David N. Snyder wrote::hi:
:hi:
ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Sara H