YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Anyone can go to heaven, just be good - Page 3 - Dhamma Wheel

Anyone can go to heaven, just be good

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DarkDream

Re: Anyone can go to heaven, just be good

Postby DarkDream » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:23 am

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:28 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:36 pm

There are some people this would be the best way to catch their attention and there are some people it would not be the best way. I am reminded of the Buddha teaching a householder the right way to worship the six directions (). I imagine if we saw an article titled "How to worship the six directions" many of us would assume this could have nothing to do with Buddhadhamma. :spy:
- Peter

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:27 pm

Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:07 pm

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:41 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

appicchato

Postby appicchato » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:00 am

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:02 am

Greetings bhante,

I'd be interested to hear more about Mr. Lee's other works...

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

salmon

Postby salmon » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:27 am

~ swimming upstream is tough work! ~

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:00 am

FWIW, I briefly scanned some of the website and it looks very orthodox and complete to me. The title definitely seems to just be a hook rather than representative of the website as a whole.
- Peter

christopher:::

Postby christopher::: » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:16 am

"As Buddhists, we should aim to develop relationships that are not predominated by grasping and clinging. Our relationships should be characterised by the brahmaviharas of metta (loving kindness), mudita (sympathetic joy), karuna (compassion), and upekkha (equanimity)."
~post by Ben, Jul 02, 2009

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:42 am

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:22 pm

cooran

Postby cooran » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:59 pm

Hello all,

An interesting coincidence ....

Not having read this thread, I was cleaning up my stock of unread books - I often get Dhamma books 'to read on a rainy day' - and I found a copy of this small booklet. I notice the reviews on the back cover include one from Ajahn Brahmavamso (who wrote the Foreward).

"Herein you will find the timeless wisdom of the Buddha presented with clarity, brevity and accuracy. Many often asked questions are directly and correctly answered. In all, this is a priceless little booklet to carry around or share with your friends." - Ajahn Brahm

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

sukhamanveti

Postby sukhamanveti » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:05 am

Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5

pink_trike

Postby pink_trike » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:19 am

I am as "skeptical, secular nonBuddhist" as it comes - even after 3 decades of dedicated Dharma practice - and still... dhammawheel.org feels comfortable. :anjali:
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.

sukhamanveti

Postby sukhamanveti » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi pink_trike,

In this thread "this website" means http://www.justbegood.net/ . The first thing one sees there is, "Anyone can go to heaven. Just be good." (However, there is much more to the website than first appears, it turns out.) One might call it a paraphrase of passages such as this, "...Again, one who is virtuous, possessed of virtue, on the breakup of the body, after death, reappears in a happy destiny, in the heavenly world..." (Visuddhimagga I.23, quoting Digha Nikaya 16.1.24 or D. ii.86 in the PTS version).

Ed
Sīlaṃ balaṃ appaṭimaṃ.
Sīlaṃ āvudhamuttamaṃ.
Sīlamābharaṇaṃ seṭṭhaṃ.
Sīlaṃ kavacamabbhutaṃ.

Virtue is a matchless power.
Virtue is the greatest weapon.
Virtue is the best adornment.
Virtue is a wonderful armor.

Theragatha 614

Sabbapāpassa akaraṇaṃ,
kusalassa upasampadā,
Sacittapariyodapanaṃ,
etaṃ buddhāna sāsanaṃ.

Refraining from all wrong-doing,
Undertaking the good,
Purifying the mind,
This is the teaching of the buddhas.

Dhammapada v. 183/14.5

kiss

Postby kiss » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:02 am

wow! i just join this forum and i saw this thread about my own personal favourite website and all these posts... well hahaha i'm impressed. i'm glad most of you can appreciate mr lee's effort in simplifying Buddhism to a practical manner for beginners. about the controversial tagline, i still stand on mr lee's side. there are a couple of my own views on this, and if i sound confronting, i'm sorry about it but please forgive me because i'm not very good with words.

1)like mr lee, we are both singaporeans. and singapore is a multi-racial country and thus a multi religious society too. the main ones we have here are Buddhism, Taosim, Christianity, Islam, Hindudism, Sikhism and etc. those who a basic idea of these religions will know most of them believes in a Higher Being, the Supreme One. Buddhism in singapore is misunderstood by many people, whether there are buddhists or not. (people here tend to mix Buddhism together with Taoism and culture beliefs) mr lee's tagline is quite useful in catching attention from these various religions to Buddhism and thus can promote Buddhism better to singaporeans. the website, i believe, can do the same too for the world out there.

2)i've read about a few posts in replying to this thread and they put off the idea of rebirth in heaven. it just makes me wonder where does their mis-placed confidence come from? the goal in Buddhism is clear-cut, to perfect oneself for the final attainment - Nibbana. but that does not mean all practicing buddhists will attain Nibbana in this very lifetime. it's a gradual training over many lifetimes. i believe alot of people here are lay buddhists, right? for lay buddhists following the theravada tradition in this forum here, may i ask what are your practices? do you incorporate your practices into your daily lives? if so, do you really have confidence that in this very lifetime, you can gain liberation from rebirth in samsara?
for myself, i've been practicing dana, sila and bhavana in my daily lives. i do some reading from time to time but those that i really try to put into practice from the suttas were those recommended for lay buddhists such as sigalovada sutta, mangala sutta etc. these were more practical and of relevance for me. i admit i'm a down to earth person. i do not have the over-confidence of seeing myself liberated in this lifetime, but i have the faith and vision of myself living more happily and freely with dana, sila and bhavana. my understanding is that if i continue my practice, my next destination after i pass away could be rebirth as a human or better still, in the realm of devas. is there anything wrong with that?
i'm more put off with people parroting the more subtle Higher Teachings of BuddhaDhamma without applying even one simple teaching in their real lives. i do hope learning buddhists can understand people have different spiritual capacity and their approach to Buddhism come from all walks of life. it's more helpful to show tolerance and encouragement for people on different paths then writing insensitive comments based on their own biased thinking.

ok.. guess i'm done. sorry for the nagging. above are just my own personal POV. i apologize again for any insolent remarks that i made. and thank you all for showing support to mr lee's effort. :thanks:

metta
keep it simple, stupid~ my lifehack

keeping it simply said: 'i'm learning from Buddha to be wise and kind'

- an invaluable piece of advice to learn from, time to time.

clw_uk

Postby clw_uk » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:09 pm

Will

Postby Will » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:54 pm

A bodhisattva does not become weary of evil beings nor does he commit the error of bringing forth thoughts inclined to reject them and cast them aside. Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 25

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”