YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Thai Forest Tradition - Dhamma Wheel

Thai Forest Tradition

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
maverick

Thai Forest Tradition

Postby maverick » Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:49 am

Do monks still wonder into the forest and caves to meditate in Thai Forest Tradition these days or they just stays in the monasteries ?
From an inconstruable beginning comes transmigration. A beginning point is not evident, though beings hindered by ignorance and fettered by craving are transmigrating & wandering on. Long have you thus experienced stress, enough to be RELEASED.

The path is not about becoming a better person — it is about putting an end to becoming

mikenz66

Re: Thai Forest Tradition

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:39 am

gavesako

Postby gavesako » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:52 pm

See nice nice slideshow of monks in northern and north-eastern Thailand (border regions) walking on tudong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEVIJAZ3jxo
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

- Theravada texts
- Translations and history of Pali texts
- Sutta translations

chownah

Postby chownah » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:12 am

Most of the forests in Thailand have been cut down....there are still some large tracts of forest in national parks. I think you are more likely to find tourists in the forests and caves than monks but I could be wrong in that I don't usually go trapseing around in the woods here....I think the idea of monks "wandering" into forests and caves to meditate is more a romantic fantasy than a reality in Thailand.....I'm not saying that there are not any monks doing this but I think the number is very very small......I saw a man wearing clothes brownish grey from age and dirt, with a long beard and hair and a bag on his back walking along the highway....he looked like an ascetic to me....my wife (Thai) said he was a crazy person....it is possible that he spends a good portion of time in the forest...and perhaps he meditates there....he was not a standard issue Thai monk though....
chownah

JeffR

Postby JeffR » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:18 am

I know a monk who has gone tudong walking from Northwest Thailand to India.

When the monks I know go into a forest in Thailand, it is in a National Park and usually (not always) involves staying near a small human settlement where they can go for alms.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”