Om & Svaha in Mahayana

General forum on the teachings of all schools of Mahayana and Vajrayana Buddhism. Topics specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
vinodh

Om & Svaha in Mahayana

Post by vinodh »

Hi All,

I just wanted to know the earliest Buddhist reference to the Bijakshara "Om" and the Syllables "Svaha".

Is there any Mahyana-specific explanation for "Om" & "Svaha" ? These are virtually contained in every other Dharanis & Mantras of Mahayana. I am expecting some early Mahayana Sutra to contain the explanation for the use of these syllables.

I am aware Om is explained in Vajrayana as the Vak, Kaya & Citta of the Buddhas. (If I remember from E-Sangha, Eijo quoted an east asian Tantric text where "Om" was considered referring to the Trikayas). I presume, the Tantric texts are dated much later, hence would have had time to come up with an Buddhist association for these.

V
http://www.virtualvinodh.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yo dharmaṁ paśyati, sa buddhaṁ paśyati

One who sees the Dharma, sees the Buddha
śālistamba sūtra

na pudgalo na ca skandhā buddho jñānamanāsravam
sadāśāntiṁ vibhāvitvā gacchāmi śaraṇaṁ hyaham

Neither a person nor the aggregates, the Buddha, is knowledge free from [evil] outflows
Clearly perceiving [him] to be eternally serene, I go for refuge [in him]
saddharma-laṅkāvatāra-sūtra
Norden

Re: Om & Svaha in Mahayana

Post by Norden »

Sanskrit language is used in Mahayana which is heavily influenced by Brahmanism therefore, in short, Om & Svaha is influenced by Brahmanism and Hinduism.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

From HHDL
It is very good to recite the mantra OM MANI PADME HUM, but while you are doing it, you should be thinking on its meaning, for the meaning of the six syllables is great and vast. The first, OM is composed of three letters, A, U, M. These symbolise the practitioner’s impure body, speech and mind; they also symbolise the pure exalted body, speech and mind of a Buddha.

http://www.buddhasvillage.com/teachings/hhomph.htm
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

vinodh wrote:Hi All,

I just wanted to know the earliest Buddhist reference to the Bijakshara "Om" and the Syllables "Svaha".

Is there any Mahyana-specific explanation for "Om" & "Svaha" ? These are virtually contained in every other Dharanis & Mantras of Mahayana. I am expecting some early Mahayana Sutra to contain the explanation for the use of these syllables.

I am aware Om is explained in Vajrayana as the Vak, Kaya & Citta of the Buddhas. (If I remember from E-Sangha, Eijo quoted an east asian Tantric text where "Om" was considered referring to the Trikayas). I presume, the Tantric texts are dated much later, hence would have had time to come up with an Buddhist association for these.

V
What is the point in wondering and asking when some or other aspect of Dharma has first manifested on planet Earth?
Enlightenment/nirvana is timeless, beyond time, and beyond history. But no one seems to believe this! They only believe in old scraps of paper or pieces of treebark. It is a useless and time consuming search. When the eternal and timeless Nirvana is always present, why turn your back to it!
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Return to “Mahāyāna Buddhism”