Archetypal Buddha?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
heart

Re: Archetypal Buddha?

Post by heart »

gingercatni wrote:heres an article http://buddhism.about.com/od/vajrayanab ... tra101.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that discusses this issue. It states that these buddhas are not believed in.

As a pureland buddhist i believe in the buddhas, why would the buddha speak about them if they are made up? could this view just be part of the reformation that became vajrayana buddhism? distinguishing it from mahayana? there are other people on the net that have similar views to the article, i posted it as it best described what i've been trying to explain here.
Buddhism isn't a one single view kind of religion on the metaphysical and philosophical side I am afraid. In Vajrayana there are many differences in the way how to approach the Buddha's, for many different people with different inclination. It is no small matter unfortunately. I am still not sure what bothers you?

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
gingercatni

Post by gingercatni »

heart wrote:
gingercatni wrote:heres an article http://buddhism.about.com/od/vajrayanab ... tra101.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; that discusses this issue. It states that these buddhas are not believed in.

As a pureland buddhist i believe in the buddhas, why would the buddha speak about them if they are made up? could this view just be part of the reformation that became vajrayana buddhism? distinguishing it from mahayana? there are other people on the net that have similar views to the article, i posted it as it best described what i've been trying to explain here.
Buddhism isn't a one single view kind of religion on the metaphysical and philosophical side I am afraid. In Vajrayana there are many differences in the way how to approach the Buddha's, for many different people with different inclination. It is no small matter unfortunately. I am still not sure what bothers you?

/magnus
What bothers me is one school believes the buddhas are real enlightened beings reigning over their buddha fields, whereas vajrayana see's them as aspects of the buddha and not real at all, it sort of invalidates my practice.....probably not explaining myself well...
heart

Post by heart »

gingercatni wrote:What bothers me is one school believes the buddhas are real enlightened beings reigning over their buddha fields, whereas vajrayana see's them as aspects of the buddha and not real at all, it sort of invalidates my practice.....probably not explaining myself well...
I can assure you Vajrayana practitioners believe that Buddhas are real enlightened beings that might or not manifest a Buddha field. Vajrayana do also teach the methods to become such a Buddha within one life. No need to feel that Vajrayana invalidates your practice, just keep an open mind and realize that there are so many different valid practices within Buddhism.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

I'm having trouble getting a grip on the archetypical Buddha concept. Does it differ from the idea of a primordial Buddha?
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

My advice is to try to let go a bit of labeling things as real and unreal. I know it's really tempting, it is the culture some of us were raised in. I think though that the...flavor of the kind of real and unreal you are grabbing at just doesn't fit, you wont answer the questions through anything but your practice, using your conceptual mind to ask questions affirming or negating the reality of Buddhas just won't get you anywhere.

From my little learning in Vajrayana so far..they are not believed to be "made up", but they are not existent entities exactly either, the Chenrezig/Avalokiteshvara teachings emphasize the emptiness of the deities appearance. Again, not something we can ascertain the truth of through words I think.

That has been my experience at any rate.

So here's your question:

How is something that is an aspect of one of the three bodies not existing? How is an aspect of Buddha not existing?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

catmoon wrote:I'm having trouble getting a grip on the archetypical Buddha concept. Does it differ from the idea of a primordial Buddha?
Hi, catmoon,
Just for people like you, me and the others having some difficulty being sure about the phrase, I did a Google search on ["archetypal Buddha" tibetan buddhism].
I got only 1400 results, which tells me it's not all that common :thinking: and a quick look at the snippets on the results page tells me that it is not always used the same way :thinking: but I haven't got time to take it any further ... over to you :tongue:

:namaste:
Kim
heart

Post by heart »

catmoon wrote:I'm having trouble getting a grip on the archetypical Buddha concept. Does it differ from the idea of a primordial Buddha?
The OP is talking about yidams actually. But Buddha's such as Samanthabadhra, Vajradhara, Vajrasattva and the heads of the five Buddha families are what is sometimes referred to as archetypical Buddha's. But this archetypical is a Jungian idea.

/magnus
~Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”