Monastics & their family

Forum for discussion of East Asian Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Huifeng

Re: Monastics & their family

Postby Huifeng » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:43 am

I'm not sure how many "Vinaya purists" there are in Chinese Buddhism. And some of the strictest Vinaya upholders I know in the Chinese tradition would still really go out of their way to help their parents. I guess that in itself shows how the Vinaya in general does not prohibit this general range of behavior. eg. one of my senior Dharma brothers has been attending regular (weekly) services for his mother who passed away 4 weeks ago this Saturday. No other monastic (I know of) has been anything other than fully supporting of him in so doing. One would probably have to go into specific cases and details in actual cases, though, rather than just a general pov as I've stated it here. One of the few possible restrictions I could think of, from a purely Vinaya pov, would be the precept against staying in the some house as laity for more than a couple of days consecutively; though that could be easily overcome.

~~ Huifeng

Alfredo

Postby Alfredo » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:56 pm

(no longer participating on this board)

purple rose
Founding Member

Postby purple rose » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:17 pm

Topic locked at the OP's request

Return to “East Asian Buddhism”