filling a statue?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
deff

filling a statue?

Postby deff » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:43 pm

I recently purchased a Padmasambhava statue that is unfilled, and after reading about the benefits of filling it would like to. I can't find any information on the correct way to fill it, and I don't know anyone who knows how. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks :namaste:

ronnewmexico

Re: filling a statue?

Postby ronnewmexico » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:41 pm

I can't say I really know, but my personal experience is lama's or monks do that. Laypeople to my experience may certainly help doing the actual filling, but the final blessing and supervision of the task, is done by a lama.
But maybe laypeople do the whole thing...I just never have seen it done that way.

Just my experience, since there were no replies.
"This order considers that progress can be achieved more rapidly during a single month of self-transformation through terrifying conditions in rough terrain and in "the abode of harmful forces" than through meditating for a period of three years in towns and monasteries"....Takpo Tashi Namgyal.

Chaz

Postby Chaz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:35 am

kirtu
Former staff member

Postby kirtu » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:37 am

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

narraboth

Postby narraboth » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:15 pm

according to tibetan tradition, filling is necessary, you shouldn't leave a statue with empty stomach, that is not auspicious.

It's better to be a monk to do it for you. But if you really can't find one, maybe you can choose an auspicious day to do it: in the morning make yourself clean, confess all your wrong doing, do purification practice, and also do the practice you know to purify the fillings.

usually, a big enough size of statue should have a middle wood. I don't know how available it is in western world though. and then you should fill it with mantra paper roll in correct way (no upside-down). If you have, you can put in authentic holy relics or precious dharma pills, etc. Though I have heard that living lamas' hair or clothes is not suitable to be put into statue or stupa.

Finally, you fill the rest space with five metals, five jewels and incense powder. all the stuffs need to be clean and pure, shouldn't have insects etc in it.

nirmal

Postby nirmal » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Did you fill the Padmasambhava statue yourself or did you get someone to do it for you, Deff? Or is it still unfilled?

deff

Postby deff » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:30 pm

I filled it myself following instructions I found in a statue-filling booklet. I think I did it correctly :thumbsup:

Blue Garuda

Postby Blue Garuda » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:01 pm

Good to buy a statue from your own school which is already filled.

Good to buy an empty statue and ask your guru how best to fill it or have it filled.

It is quite a complex job but learning how to do it is very rewarding. :)
Left

narraboth

Postby narraboth » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:14 am

I used to post how to fill in e-sangha but it's gone...

ok, first, depends on how big is your statue. If it's not small (let's say higher than about 12cm?), there should be a 'middle wood.' You can buy it in Tibetan shop, or on ebay?

and then you will need several things:

1. mantra. it has to be printed correctly, one side, and you roll it, put it in up side up (important!). There are several mantras very good for filling, but at least you should have the statue's mantra, in your case padmasambhava, and 'interdependence essence.'

2. blessful things: like real relics, great master's clothes (some people say you shouldn't have a living master's hair or clothes filled), precious and pure source blessed pills (dud tsi), stones from holy places, rices from great temple etc.

3. precious stones or metal and herbs. Can't be poisonus ones.

4. things to fill the rest of space: clean cotton or sandalwood powder. You should fill it until there's no extra space. Your statue shouldn't make sound when you shake it.

1 and 4 are necessary. 2 and 3 depends.
If your statue is small or can't contain middle wood, just fill it.

It's better to have a lama to fill it for you, if not, you can fill by yourself. Just it's not good for someone with stained samaya to fill the statue, so if you want to do it, you should do confession and purification ritual first, and then do it with devotion.

I think it's not bad to do it yourself unless you can really trust the one who fill it for you. I bought a prayer wheel and happily used it, suddenly I felt I really want to open it and check, so I did. Guess what? the mantra in there was up side down! when I turned it, the mantra was not only up side down, but also backward running.
Some manufacturers just either have no moral or way too careless.
I have also heard stories about prayer wheel contain newspaper.

nirmal

Postby nirmal » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:27 pm

nirmal

Postby nirmal » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:55 pm

tamdrin

Postby tamdrin » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:36 pm

Yes it seems that bad spirits can enter statues if they are not filled as this happened to me with a Shakyamuni Buddha statue that I had for about ten years only to realize that the spirit was giving me sickness. It even felt like it was attacking me sometimes.. Actually i met a Ngakpa who knew that I had an old statue that was un consecrated hidden in my house. He was the one who advised me to have it filled, that it was the cause of some of my problems. When I got the statue filled the feeling of being "attacked" went away. It was quite strange.. I have never heard of leaving statues unfilled.. or unblessed

narraboth

Postby narraboth » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:44 am

Heruka

Postby Heruka » Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:53 am

nirmal

Postby nirmal » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:29 pm

narraboth

Postby narraboth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:23 am

Last edited by narraboth on Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

narraboth

Postby narraboth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:39 am

Heruka

Postby Heruka » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:53 am

narraboth

Postby narraboth » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:26 pm

muni

Postby muni » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Edited as I don't understand the discussion.
Thank you, your compassion :namaste:
Last edited by muni on Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”