Mayan Calendar - the End of the World!!!

Just for fun
Roland

Re: Mayan Calendar - the End of the World!!!

Post by Roland »

gregkavarnos wrote:I was wondering, whose 21/12/2012 will it end on? Like, will people living in the Pacific Ocean die first and then Asia, etc... or will it just be based on Greenwich mean time? I mean it's pretty unfair on the Pacific dwellers coz everybody else will get up to 12 hours more living to do. Will like the world end sequentially based on time zones? Like every time 21/12 dawns that piece will end or will it end second by second?

These questions have been plaguing me for some time now and I'm wondering if anybody will be able to answer them before tommorow. I'm GMT+2 so any answers will have to take the time difference into account.

Thanks
:namaste:
Greg

PS Obviously I am not expecting answers from Fiji, Tonga, New Zealand, Tuvalu or Anadyr right now, unless, of course, they have daylight savings in effect.
Hmm, this a good point you bring up.

So by that logic, as each part of the world changes to December 21st, 2012, one could fly (airplane?) to the next timezone right before it does, where it is still December 20th, 2012. Each hour, fly to the next timezone, escaping the end!

When one returns to where one started, or before making it all the way around, successfully escaping the end of the world, it would be December 22nd, 2012. :woohoo:

Or maybe one would have to travel at light speed...

Well, I better start working on this now... :stirthepot: :alien:
"Seek truth in meditation, not moldy books. Look in the sky to find the moon, not in the pond."
- Persian proverb
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: End of the world?

Post by Ayu »

CrawfordHollow wrote:I guess I will be the one to start this thread

So I realized I was out of toothpaste. No, it was not the end of the world, but I did walk down to the store down the street to pick up some more. The dude at the store, who I have developed a friendship with, was totally freaked out about the world ending on Friday. I mean freaked out. He hadn't slept in days, and he called off work on Friday. He is truly convinced that the world is going to end. There wasn't much I could say to comfort him, but I promised that I would look into it and get back to him tomorrow (he didn't take the whole week off, just Friday). At this point, looking into it means asking you guys, soooo...

What does everybody think about this. I personally think that it has been completely sensationalized by the media, internet, and less-than intelligent fanatics. My friend, the dude at the store, does not agree with me. He thinks that the government knows that something is going to happen, and has put a gag on it to prevent total chaos.

Now, I really don't feel like wading through all the stuff out there on the internet, so if you guys can fill me in so I can have something smart to tell him, I would really appreciate it, thanks.

Troy
Uuh, the Buddhists i know, most of them would make a harsh joke like "Oh, I'm sorry, but I have to tell you one bitter truth: you'll have to die anyhow."
That's not really consoling. :thinking:

I would give him the German saying: "It always comes in the different way you thought." Or "It never comes the way you thought." That's really true.

Maybe he worrys about the end of the world tomorrow, nothing happens, he becomes very glad, and than on saturday a stone falls down from the roof on his head and he passes away... :shrug:
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

gregkavarnos wrote:I was wondering, whose 21/12/2012 will it end on?
Excellent question.
http://www.mayanapocalypse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The imminent horror has been calculated to occur on 21/12/2012 at roughly 11:00am as represented using modern chronometric conventions. Yucatan time is -6 GMT.
plwk

Post by plwk »

Masaru

Post by Masaru »

plwk wrote:Image
^This cat only thinks he woke up alive.

phpBB [video]
Karma Dondrup Tashi

Post by Karma Dondrup Tashi »

It has been the misfortune (not, as these gentlemen think it, the glory) of this age that everything is to be discussed. Edmund Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France.
Masaru

Post by Masaru »

Karma Dondrup Tashi wrote:Image
phpBB [video]
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

Being the day "the world ends on", I feel very alive!!!!!!

Today actually is the day, in astronomical mapping, the sun will rise from the center of the universe.
This being viewed from the alignment of the planets and where we, on our floating rock, see this happening.

The Myan calender has 7 cycles. Today is the beginning of a new cycle, also the last of the 7 cycles. The calender resets and starts over. This being the "new awakening" to the next level of awareness, not the end of the world, the end of an old way of thinking so to speak.

:namaste:
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Dave The Seeker wrote:This being the "new awakening" to the next level of awareness, not the end of the world, the end of an old way of thinking so to speak.
Fat chance! :crying:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
Dave The Seeker

Post by Dave The Seeker »

We can only hope my friend. :shrug:
Everyday problems teach us to have a realistic attitude.
They teach us that life is what life is; flawed.
Yet with tremendous potential for joy and fulfillment.
~Lama Surya Das~

If your path teaches you to act and exert yourself correctly and leads to spiritual realizations such as love, compassion and wisdom then obviously it's worthwhile.
~Lama Thubten Yeshe~

One whose mind is freed does not argue with anyone, he does not dispute with anyone. He makes use of the conventional terms of the world without clinging to them
~The Buddha~
Martin007

Post by Martin007 »

If the world's ending today, can we cancel Christmas? Please? :tongue:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

If the world is ending today we won't need to cancel anything! :tongue:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
justsit

Post by justsit »

May I respectfully request: those of you who are leaving today, please transfer your remaining funds (= money) to my Paypal account immediately, as you will no longer have need of them.
Thank you.
:tongue:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I think, you could get donations - seriously. But you didn't leave your number. :smile:

What a huge amount of people might be frightened now, waiting anxiously. :thinking: What a mad world.
Dronma

Post by Dronma »

I like your sense of humor, guys.
You are ALL brilliant!!!! :twothumbsup:
The sound of s i l e n c e.....
tidathep

Post by tidathep »

plwk wrote:Image
--------------

Sawaddee ka....Plwk.....I like your DOOMSDAY CAT !

I like Mayan Calendar - The end of the world....But I love Skeeter Davis calendar - THE END OF THE WORLD the most:

The end of the world : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ5WeXtOacU

And follow by THE FINAL COUNT DOWN : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

tidathep :thinking:
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

I had forgotten all this.... :smile:
So, what are the calenderista saying now ?
My guess...it happened but only they are sensitive enough to be aware of it . Or..

Due to their interventions it has been postponed...... 8-)
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.

Return to “Games & Humour”