YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Volitions interacting with the other khandas? - Dhamma Wheel

Volitions interacting with the other khandas?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
phil

Volitions interacting with the other khandas?

Postby phil » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:52 am

Hi all

Could you help me understand this sentence from Ven Anaalayo's book on satipatthana? (p.205)

"The aggregate of volitions interacts with each of the aggregates and has a conditional effect upon them."

The relevant passage in the sutta referenced by Ven. A (SN 22:79) has "they construct conditioned feeling as feeling" and the same for the other khandas. I can understand how kamma constructs rupa, but feelings and so on? Because it causes vipaka and feelings and perceptions arise as a result?

Thanks.
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

santa100

Re: Volitions interacting with the other khandas?

Postby santa100 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:08 pm

There's a similar Thread in the forum about how the Aggregates interact. You could also refer to the link below for the "schematic" and how they interact..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:PancaKhandha

phil

Postby phil » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:46 pm

Hi Santa100

Thanks, but the schematic doesn't answer how volitions/formations in particular interact with the other khandas to "construct" them. Yes. I could dig around here and elsewhere online to try to find the answer, but it's good to remember that explaining Dhamma is a deed of merit, so it's good to give others the opportunity to do so, I think. :smile:
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:45 pm

The only way I can think of is in the DO, the sankhara gives rise to vinnana, wihch in turn (eventually) give rise to the rest of the aggregates.

:anjali:
with metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

phil

Postby phil » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:57 pm

(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

santa100

Postby santa100 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:35 am

Hi Phil, combining Rowyourboat's DO and the schematic will probably make it a bit clearer. In the DO, we learned that Volition gives rise to Consciousness. This is represented by the red arrow in the schematic. Notice that Volition doesn't give rise to Feeling and Perception directly, but first it gives rise to a new Consciousness. Then this new Consciousness interacts with Form thru Contact (phassa) to give rise to further Feeling and Perception. Nothing demonstrates this more clearly than when your mind is wandering around. Example: You're sitting in meditation, all of a sudden there's a smell of perfume (nose Consciousness "Contacts" the perfume smell), you then identified it as Chanel No. 5 (Perception) and you have a pleasant (Feeling). Your mind is attached to that good old vacation time in Paris with your girlfriend (who uses Chanel No. 5)(Fabrication/Formation) and you cognize this vividly (a new Consciousness). Your new (Contact) with the image of your girlfriend then trigger the next series of Aggregates. She cheated on you, and she's a horrible person (new Perception), so you feel terrible (new Feeling), so on and so forth..

phil

Postby phil » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:16 am

(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

ground

Postby ground » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:20 am

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:17 pm

Glad to be of help- I often wondered if Sankhara of the DO refered to the act of fabricating rather than 'fabrication'. If that were the case (since sankhara has different meanings in different places - in Hinduism it is considered buried results of action, if I am not mistaken, which must be eradicated)- in the DO it might have this particular meaning. :shrug: This is just my opinion.

With metta :anjali:

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

phil

Postby phil » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:32 am

Thank you for the feedback, T Mingyur, and Matheesha. :smile:
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”