The term Puja

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
lotwell

The term Puja

Post by lotwell »

The term Puja seems to be used in a wide many ways. I take it that it's from Sanskrit?

What is the corresponding Tibetan term?

How does the way we describe practice with terms like Puja, Sadhana, etc. affect our understanding of them?

Ltwll
windsweptliberty

Re: The term Puja

Post by windsweptliberty »

Lion's roar: "Puja (literally an offering) is a Meditation Ritual on one of the Bodhisattvas or Buddhas. It is a ceremony in which prayers are offered to the Buddhas to request their blessings or invoke their help." There are different Pujas for different times in ones life and can be performed upon request. :heart:
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

The corresponding Tibetan term is tsog/tsok.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
udawa

Post by udawa »

gregkavarnos wrote:The corresponding Tibetan term is tsog/tsok.
Tsog (tshogs) is the Tibetan translation of gana (as in ganacakra), which is basically the idea of a gathering or assembly.

Yes, puja is Sanskrit. I believe the Tibetan translation of puja is cho (mchod).

D
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
ngodrup

Post by ngodrup »

It is my understanding that the Sanskrit word puja can be translated
in two different ways: "to please" and "to give birth to merit."
The second approach seems more impersonal, therefore more
suitable for Buddhist usage.
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

The Tibetian is mchod-pa in Wylie

http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/ar ... antra.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

udawa wrote:
Tsog (tshogs) is the Tibetan translation of gana (as in ganacakra), which is basically the idea of a gathering or assembly.

Yes, puja is Sanskrit. I believe the Tibetan translation of puja is cho (mchod).

D
I stand corrected! :emb: I goofed up because we always refer to the ganachakra puja as a tsog!
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
kalden yungdrung

Post by kalden yungdrung »

Tashi delek,

Yes Tsog is the Tibetan genaral translation of a Ganachakra and not per se a Puja.

ཚོགས་ཀྱི་འཁོར་ལོ། tshogs kyi 'khor lo would be the Tibetan translation about offerings.

A Puja do i understand as more a worship to the Yidams etc..
So offering that would be the core for these kind of rituals like visualistaions of perfect universes and offering them afterwards.

Other ritual objects are blessed by mantras before offered.
The Chodpa, practtioner of Chod, does offer his body.

The most welknown of a Ganachakra would be those of the Indian Mahasiddhas.
I guess so that these matters do belong to Tantra and are very benefitial if practiced well.

Mutsog marro
KY
The best meditation is no meditation
udawa

Post by udawa »

kalden yungdrung wrote:Tashi delek,

Yes Tsog is the Tibetan genaral translation of a Ganachakra and not per se a Puja.

ཚོགས་ཀྱི་འཁོར་ལོ། tshogs kyi 'khor lo would be the Tibetan translation about offerings.

A Puja do i understand as more a worship to the Yidams etc..
So offering that would be the core for these kind of rituals like visualistaions of perfect universes and offering them afterwards.

Other ritual objects are blessed by mantras before offered.
The Chodpa, practtioner of Chod, does offer his body.

The most welknown of a Ganachakra would be those of the Indian Mahasiddhas.
I guess so that these matters do belong to Tantra and are very benefitial if practiced well.

Mutsog marro
KY
tshogs kyi 'khor lo is the Tibetan translation of ganacakra.

Puja is a general term used in both mahayana and vajrayana. The classic format is the 7 fold puja (homage, offering, confession, rejoicing, requesting the turning of the Dharma wheel, asking the Buddhas not to pass into Nirvana, dedication of punya). I guess the best known version is that found in Santideva's Bodhicaryavatara.

D
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
udawa

Post by udawa »

gregkavarnos wrote:
udawa wrote:

D
I stand corrected! :emb: I goofed up because we always refer to the ganachakra puja as a tsog!
Yes, it is confusing. You often hear people talk about tsok pujas. I wonder if this is an expression Tibetans started to use after they found themselves living in exile in India?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”