YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Anyone have a collection? - Dhamma Wheel

Anyone have a collection?

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
jackson

Anyone have a collection?

Postby jackson » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:11 am

Hi everyone, :smile:
When I was a kid I was always collecting something; coins, stamps, comics, baseball cards, Star Wars memorabilia, the list goes on... Anyway, I've been feeling the urge to start collecting something again, I did enjoy the thrill of finding something special and to this day still occasionally dream of finding rare Star Wars action figures (I admit it, I'm pretty nerdy :smile: ). On the other hand it seems counter-intuitive from a Buddhist perspective to be accumulating things I don't really need and I realize that it's obviously trying to fill a hole which is not going to go away by buying stuff, so I'm very wary of getting into that mindset again. Yet still the temptation remains. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of you have collections and also I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on collecting.
Thanks for reading and may you be well, happy, and peaceful!
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

David2

Re: Anyone have a collection?

Postby David2 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:35 am

Actually, after encountering the Dhamma, I gave up some "unneccessary" collections over time:
I got rid of my stamp collection, my photograph collection, my CD and DVD collection and 90 % of my print book collection (though now I have some ebooks).

It is liberating to have less items - especially if you know you don't really need them.

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:40 am

Cat whiskers and puppy teeth.

Aloka

Postby Aloka » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:11 am

Many years ago I collected interesting stones from different places in the country and kept them in large sweet-jars.

Now I just collect the occasional smaller glass jar to use as a spider and insect catcher (place jar over insect, gently slide piece of card under mouth of jar and release insect outside) or to use for food items.

Boring, sorry ! :)

Kare

Postby Kare » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:16 am

I'm collecting years. I've got 69 of them so far. But they are collecting too much dust, so I guess I'd better quit collecting them soon.
Mettāya,
Kåre

rowboat

Postby rowboat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:40 am

I've developed the habit of picking up peculiar objects I find here and there. Let's say it's my indulgence in a mild form of 'magical thinking' so that around the apartment you see an old strange-looking twisted piece of branch on a shelf next to a few little stones, a little brown horse and an old coin, a lovely feather. I bought a white piece of cardboard with a Chinese symbol in nice thick brush-strokes for a dollar at the thrift store this Spring. I still don't know the meaning of the image, although i have looked for it.
Last edited by rowboat on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5

Mawkish1983

Postby Mawkish1983 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:25 am

I'm a bit of a hoarder. I tend to become quite obsessive about things. I'm also very bad with money and will spend it (or give it away) without regard for the future.

That's not a good combination of idiosyncrasies to have. Fortunately, my wife is the opposite. She does not like to hoard and, in fact, likes to throw (or give) away as much stuff as she can. She does get obsessive, but she gets obsessive about keeping our possessions to the minimum amount we need to function. She is very good with money and handles all our expenses (giving me pocket money) so that we can pay off our debts.

In conclusion: yes, I have collections, but my wife throws them away (and for that I am grateful!) :)

Ben

Postby Ben » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:49 am

As I mentioned elsewhere. I have a small collection of Buddha images. Some friends and family members give them to me as gifts and the collection now just seems to grow all by itself. And I have to admit that I am not averse to purchasing an inspiring Buddha rupa from time to time.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:49 pm

Some years ago I reflected on collections generally, and I ended up throwing away photos and high school yearbooks as well as various trinkets and dustables, and have since preferred this dearth of objects. I find that such accumulations contribute to a cluttered citta.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Domain names. :tongue:

Currently at 30. In the past few years I have been focusing more on quality over quantity. The problem is, virtually every good sounding domain name has been taken. Virtually all one-word domain names have been taken; many of which have been parked and are just sitting there with the owner trying to sell it for exorbitant prices.

For example, buddha.com has been "for sale" for decades, never in use, since the owner of the domain is waiting for some ridiculously high offer.

I was lucky enough to get thedhamma.com, jhanas.com and some other short domain names.

Alexei

Postby Alexei » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:17 pm

Rocks with fossils. Remains from my childhood.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:32 am

Greetings,

Music - CDs mainly.

Whilst I am a layman there will always be at least one "wall of CDs".

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

buddhismfordudes

Postby buddhismfordudes » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:42 pm

I have a small collection of old World War II battle rifles!

I am former military and have always enjoyed target shooting from long distances with iron sights. Target shooting is the most intense exercise in mindfulness, outside of meditation, in my life. 20 out of 20 at 200 yards inside a twelve inch target takes a fair amount of mental and physical discipline. I ain't blasting at tin cans 30 feet away with an assault rifle; nor do I hunt. I can do that at 300 yards with an old Russian/Soviet infantry rifle that was built in 1938. I have no problem with being a Buddhist and a gun owner, any more than I have problems being a Buddhist and a history buff. Prince Gautama was a champion archer in his day.

I'm not into preaching to the choir, I'm into sharing Dhamma with "real" guys, and I've had some nice chats with "Bu-curious" men at my favorite rifle range.

Gerry Stribling
Author of "Buddhism for Dudes" (amazon.com)

Visit my blog "Buddhism for Tough Guys"
at www.buddhismfordudes.blog.com
Gerry Stribling
Author of "Buddhism for Dudes"
Blog "Buddhism for Tough Guys" at buddhismfordudes.blog.com

BubbaBuddhist

Postby BubbaBuddhist » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:10 pm

I collected comic books since a small child and at one point literally had a storage unit packed full. When my son bought a house I gave the collection to him and told him he could lug them around for the next 50 years. :P

I never 'got' the Star Wars thing. I saw it when it first came out (and at the risk of being stoned to death) I thought it was an awful movie. My opinion hasn't changed. The sequels were sequentially worse.

M4
Author of Redneck Buddhism: or Will You Reincarnate as Your Own Cousin?

SamKR

Postby SamKR » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:34 pm

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:17 am

jackson

Postby jackson » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:07 am

"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

Return to “Lounge”