So I was given this thanka recently...

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
DGA
Former staff member

So I was given this thanka recently...

Post by DGA »

Actually more like a poster... printed on a kind of plasticized fabric, front and back. The photos below do not reflect the nice level of detail in the image.

Here's the thing: I haven't been able to deduce just what sort of image this is. It looks like a refuge tree to me but I do not know which tradition it belongs to. Any ideas, friends?

(also, any suggestions on how to clean the dust & mold from the edges before I mat and frame this item?)
Attachments
front
front
IMG_20121214_164021.jpg (3.41 MiB) Viewed 2040 times
back
back
IMG_20121214_164058(2).jpg (1.98 MiB) Viewed 2025 times
JKhedrup

Re: So I was given this thanka recently...

Post by JKhedrup »

TheTibetan on the back reads: OM AH HUNG Lama Chopa Merit Field (literal translation Accumulation Field).

And that is what it depicts, the merit field as visualized in the Lama Chopa liturgy of the Gelug tradition.
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

More information on the figures for those who might be interested. The central figure is Lama Tzongkhapa in the characteristic yellow Pandit's hat.

The main meditational deities (yidams) underneath Lama Tzongkhapa are (l to r) Yamantaka, Guyasamaja, Chakrasamvara and Hevajra. As you move down you see the deities of action tantra, various bodhisattvas, and near the bottom dharma protectors such as Kalarupa, Mahakala and Palden Lhamo.

The figures at the top part are not so clear but two of them look like Mahasiddhas Tilopa and Naropa.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Excellent, thanks!
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

There are a number of irregularities made by the artist, unfortunately.
Namgyal

Post by Namgyal »

Beautiful thangka :smile: .It's odd that it has OM-AH-HUM printed on the back. In painted thangkas drawing these on the back is part of the process of 'bringing them to life', so it is strange to print it on the back of a print. It can't be 'live' if done in this way, so I guess it is just a decorative convention. (Unless you intend to use them as an object of devotion, it is generally better for 2D images not to be 'live'.)
:namaste: R.
P.S. There are actually no such things as errors, imperfections, or unfortunate irregularities in any Buddha image (unless you are an artist or restorer who is just about to start work on them, to make them even more perfect ;))
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

Use alcohol to clean the dust and mould off the edges, the purer the better. A small amount (ie damp not wet) on a cotton wool disk (make up removal disks).
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”