YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

sustained thought - Dhamma Wheel

sustained thought

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Modus.Ponens

sustained thought

Postby Modus.Ponens » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:50 pm

I'm a beginer at anapanasati. I've been practicing it for years but always on and off. But now I think I'm starting to have a more stable practice.

I used to practice anapanasati using the sensation of the breath in my nose. The thing is that my practice consisted of looking for the sensation and concentrate on it. But what I'm calling concentration is just to extend this "looking for" function in time. I'm assuming that that is applied thought. A few days ago I experienced a new type of function which I think is sustained thought. It's like tying down the attention (or to get a firm grip) to the sensation I experience. Is this sustained thought?

Furthermore, I think I need the two functions at the same time, because the sensation is changing, so I need to look for the sensation and grab it at the same time. Is this correct?

Thank you in advance.
He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: 'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.'
(Jhana Sutta - Thanissaro Bhikkhu translation)

daverupa

Re: sustained thought

Postby daverupa » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:57 pm

Reductor

Re: sustained thought

Postby Reductor » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:20 am

Hey MP. May I share some thoughts?

Your meditation has always used vitakka and vicara. They are basic functions of thought. This sense of 'steadiness' you are noticing is the effect of reduced craving for things in the world of the five senses. Call it non-distraction, call it ekeggata, but regardless of what it is called it is the sensation of a (mostly) content mind. Or put another way, it is the result samma-sankappa, vayama, sati.

Hopefully things continue to go well. Just keep letting go of the world in preference to the breath: dependent on this, abandon that.

Return to “General Theravāda Meditation”