Shingon Beliefs

edwhys211

Shingon Beliefs

Post by edwhys211 »

What are the views of rebirth and karma in Shingon Buddhism?
dearreader

Re: Shingon Beliefs

Post by dearreader »

edwhys211 wrote:What are the views of rebirth and karma in Shingon Buddhism?
Can you add specifics to your question? I am unawares of any traditional Buddhist school that does not have the same "views" on rebirth and karma...those "views" being the teachings of the Buddha.

Is there something specific you're trying to understand?
"Inscribed with the brush of Mt. Sumeru and the ink of the seas,
Heaven-and-earth itself is the sutra book.
All phenomena are encompassed in even a single point therein,
And the six sense objects are all included within its covers."
-Kukai, translated in Kukai on the Philosophy of Language by Takagi and Dreitlein
edwhys211

Post by edwhys211 »

dearreader wrote:
edwhys211 wrote:What are the views of rebirth and karma in Shingon Buddhism?
Can you add specifics to your question? I am unawares of any traditional Buddhist school that does not have the same "views" on rebirth and karma...those "views" being the teachings of the Buddha.

Is there something specific you're trying to understand?
Yes, I am very interested in the philosophy of Buddhism, but it is hard for me to fully accept the idea rebirth and the realms of rebirth. Is there a school that does not take it literally, but views it more of a story over a truth?
Matylda

Post by Matylda »

edwhys211 wrote: Is there a school that does not take it literally, but views it more of a story over a truth?
No...
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

edwhys211 wrote:Yes, I am very interested in the philosophy of Buddhism, but it is hard for me to fully accept the idea rebirth and the realms of rebirth. Is there a school that does not take it literally, but views it more of a story over a truth?
Would you please explain a bit more what you mean by taking rebirth "literally" as opposed to a "story"? I want to be sure I'm reading you correctly.

For what it's worth, you'll find debates over what samsara means and how it functions in all schools, sometimes extensive debates. If you were to search for one school that matches your beliefs, you would spend your whole lifetime searching and not having a chance to practice. To be practical about it, the best you could do is find a teacher you can work with and learn from, just do your best, and don't worry too much. Perhaps Shingon-shu is such a situation for you. In any case, I wish you the best in your practice.

Return to “Shingon”