YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Eviction Notice: Brown Recluse - Dhamma Wheel

Eviction Notice: Brown Recluse

Exploring Theravāda's connections to other paths. What can we learn from other traditions, religions and philosophies?
Dexing

Eviction Notice: Brown Recluse

Postby Dexing » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:42 am

So my house seems to have an infestation of them as of late. A number have been spotted in the attic and basement, and recently on the second floor, where bedrooms are.

They are said to be non-aggressive and only bite when provoked (which may be accidental). I usually leave insects alone in the house. If they aren't a pest, I don't care. We both mind our own business. They don't even have to pay rent. But it's really dangerous with the brown recluse, as their poison can cause major damage to people.

So my question is how to evict them without incident. I don't want to use pesticides or squash them on site. But if there are so many of them, the danger level in my own home increases. What are the solutions?

:namaste:

Kim OHara

Re: Eviction Notice: Brown Recluse

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:15 am

Telling us what on earth a 'brown recluse' is might help ... the first thought that came to my mind was a Franciscan monk, but that is probably not who or what you mean.

Kim

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:20 pm

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

Ben

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:01 pm

What I use here in Australia to capture spiders is a wide-mouthed jar and a sheet of stiff card.
Place the mouth of the jar over the spider and then slide the card under the mouth of the jar and under the spider.
Lift the jar and taking care to keep the card against the mouth of the jar.
Take outside and release.

I should point out that the technique works best if the spider is against a flat surface.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Monkey Mind

Postby Monkey Mind » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:10 pm

"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710

santa100

Postby santa100 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:15 pm

Some plants are natural spider repellants. Try the link below. Good luck..

http://www.ehow.com/how_4826314_natural ... iders.html

Dexing

Postby Dexing » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi Ben, Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem is really with an "infestation" of them. I don't know if catching and releasing them all will be a feasible option. But worth doing should I encounter them in the short term.

Santa, great article! A natural repellent will be great in the long term! Eucalyptus leaves or branches, hmm.....

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:26 pm

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:34 pm

There has been an almost epidemic here in the USA with bed bugs making a huge resurgence. I recently had to have my apartment fumigated to solve the problem. I did not want to have to take these measures, (usually if I seen any I would just throw them outside) but with me, my wife and two young children being bitten every night I really had no choice. My family's health was top priority. You do what is best for you and your family. You can look into non harmful alternatives but if there are none do what you need to do and take comfort in the fact that you did not want to have to kill but it was in the best interest of you and your family.

:anjali:

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

- Ud 3.5

cooran

Postby cooran » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:18 pm

Hello bodom, all,

Yes, sometimes difficult decisions have to be made. I can remember assisting in killing a poisonous red-bellied black snake in our toilet area when I had very young childre. But there are still kammic effects.

There isn’t any wiggle room in Buddhism … the deliberate knowing killing another being is just that, and will have its results. The mosquito in this re-becoming, may well have been a human in a previous birth….

Getting The Message … Thanissaro Bhikkhu
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... ssage.html

Vipaka Sutta … Results
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

And a little more:

I think it is essential to have a definition of exactly what a sentient being is within Buddhism.

Someone said that sentient beings are those who are capable of experiencing suffering (Dukkha), that if a being seeks to avoid a blow, it is sentient

So a kangaroo seeking to get out of the spotlight of a night shooter, is seeking to avoid suffering (pain of being wounded/killed). The snails on the paths at my workplace seeking to (very slowly) avoid the shoes of the passers-by are seeking to avoid suffering (pain of being squashed). The fear they feel is also suffering. This would fit with a Tibetan teachings which says that sentient beings are all beings that have mind, and mind is found in all beings that breathe. I think this would cut out all bacteria, virus, and plants. One wonders about beings in other realms, like petas, devas etc (Do they breathe. can they feel a blow?)

In "An Introduction to Buddhist Ethics" Peter Harvey (p151)
'sentience, the ability to experience and to suffer, and the related ability, in this or a future life, to transcend suffering by attaining enlightenment'
and
'The flux of consciousness from a previous being is a necessary condition for the arising and development in the womb of a body (rupa) endowed with mental abilities which amount to sentience (nama): feeling, identification, volition, sensory stimulation and attention (S.II.3-4)'

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---

bodom

Postby bodom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 pm

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

- Ud 3.5

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:31 pm

octathlon

Postby octathlon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:34 am

I immediately thought of the spider, not a monk. :lol:

We have them everywhere around here where I live (Kansas). I used to live in a rock house and they loved it there. I was bitten by one in the armpit area (it must have gotten into a coat). My entire armpit, arm down to the elbow, and side of my torso were beet red. I went to the doctor and was given prednisone. Fortunately I recovered fine but many people have horrible consequences (just google to see some). I had an exterminator come out and it took several visits before they were gone. I'm still paranoid and shake out any blankets, clothing or shoes that haven't been used for a while.

I still get them in the wood frame house I live in now, but not as often. My instinct has always been to kill them so they don't make more(!), though I have no problems with other kinds of spiders. However since I began practicing Buddhism I have struggled dealing with this one creature (well, and ants). Catching a brown recluse in a jar to take outside is scary! But since it's only one every once in a while, I have managed to do it a few times--- thinking to myself the whole time that I must be crazy.

Anyway, they are not just a nuisance but a threat to your health. Having an infestation of them is really not safe as I know from experience. I have a Brown Recluse first aid kit that I got online (Progeny Products). No idea how effective it is since I haven't had to use it, but something you might want to consider having on hand until the infestation is resolved.

Goofaholix

Postby Goofaholix » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:16 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:20 am

In Australia we're used to dealing with much larger varieties.

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Kim OHara

Postby Kim OHara » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:35 am

tiltbillings

Postby tiltbillings » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:58 am

m0rl0ck

Postby m0rl0ck » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:18 am

Do whatever it takes to get rid of them. If a human being dies because of your inaction or negligence, what are the karmic conquences of that?
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:03 am

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Will

Postby Will » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:05 am

A bodhisattva does not become weary of evil beings nor does he commit the error of bringing forth thoughts inclined to reject them and cast them aside. Avatamsaka Sutra, ch. 25

Return to “Connections to Other Paths”