What is the heart of Dhyana meditation as said by Hsuan Hua

General discussion, particularly exploring the Dharma in the modern world.
San Feng zhen ren

What is the heart of Dhyana meditation as said by Hsuan Hua

Post by San Feng zhen ren »

Hey guys i have an affinity with Taoism but i just cant move away from Hsuan Hua's teachings, they just seem to be so in line with the taoist Real men i read
and i have such a profound reverence for him that i cant seem to leave his teachigns even though im not a buddhist per se.However i subconcioulsy apply the things master Hsuan Huas sutra commentarys or his old speechs talk about. He just inspires me so much and the level of virtue he has was comparable to the great Real Men of the past

Therefore,basically, i read many Taoist real men and Patriachs books in Chinese and English where possible and what ive noticed and found my self doing was making a mental note to go back over and over Hsuan Huas teachings as it seems in very good alignment with the taoist teachings.
what i have been tryign to exhaustively investigate in study is to find a practice of meditation that Hsuan Hua gives to his students or people so they can build strength of mind and strangthen the will also.I find i read his sutra commentary and scour through his writings and "the chan handbook of meditation" and i am so eager to practice but feel i need to understand exactly what true meditation of Dhyana is,how to find the true mind and use the true mind to smash away obstructions so basically i am trying to see what it is and how to do it in a clear concise way so i can start,because,although he explains it at various places in his question&answers,sutra commentarys(dharma jewel,diamond sutra,etc),andthe chan handbook , i find i have to understand clearly what it is before i practice it because i dont want to fall into the darkness of falling into emptiness or clinging to forms/sense impacts ....
and as i really want to udnerstand clearly what it is so i can make the link with the true mind that the taoist books speak about and break my confusion of how to Practice.Im really keen to devote time to practicing and buildign strength gradually.

I thought i would post on here because i have exhaustively went through so many texts and read much but im practicing at random because i dont really have a clear view of exactly how to practice real meditation and as i hope/aspire to Dhyana, i decided to ask for help.

I am also really trying to start,build yin virtue ,be good person ,being filial, and hopefully find a person who can teach me in the future so i can clear away my confusions and obstructions of confusions and show a clear road .... i probably realise i havent got great human karma yet so i dont think i will have a good karmic encounter with a real man or wise knowing teacher until my blessings and virtue come to a high level such as having a little of the portion of hardship and strength that Hsuan Hua had

i dont want to make the mistake of going to extremes of burnout which i have a tendency to do( i want to build up strength)

I appreciate anytime you guys make to reply as its deeply important to me,and whatever is said ill be sure to read it

:buddha1:

I also felt the need to say i have read Sheng yen chan master
futerko

Re: What is the heart of Dhyana meditation as said by Hsuan Hua

Post by futerko »

Have you read Hsuan Hua's explanation of the Diamond Sutra? - available for free here
http://www.buddhistelibrary.org/en/disp ... play_media" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hope this helps.
zenkarma

Post by zenkarma »

I think that some might answer that seeing ones true nature is the heart and purpose of chan/zen meditation. Seeing a chan/zen teacher would be best, and he or she may start you with breath counting, samatha or silent illumination meditation or even a huatou such as "who is this?". It would depend on the teachers methods and assessment of what might be most helpful for you.
The substance of the Absolute is inwardly like wood or stone, in that it is motionless, and outwardly like the void, in that it is without bounds or obstructions. It is neither subjective nor objective, has no specific location, is formless, and cannot vanish. ~Huang Po
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Suggest you do not start now with a formal Chan sitting session.

Instead, study, ponder on and recite aloud your favorite passages in the Sixth Patriarch's Sutra. If you end up memorizing some or all of the sutra - excellent. In time you will find the guidance needed.

http://online.sfsu.edu/rone/Buddhism/Pl ... 0Sutra.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another fine choice is the Song of Enlightenment:

http://online.sfsu.edu/rone/Buddhism/Ve ... enment.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May all seek, find & follow the Path of Buddhas.
San Feng zhen ren

Post by San Feng zhen ren »

Thanks for your reply Guys ,ive downloaded the diamond sutra again and reading song of enlightenment
Ive read diamond sutra and dharma jewel sutra but i understand wthat you mean for me to keep reading and reciting some of the Sutras
thnx again for your support
zenkarma

Post by zenkarma »

Sitting is better than reading. Find a chan teacher and put that question to them and then follow their advice.
The internet is full of experts whose only qualification seems to be the possession of an opinion and the ability to use a keyboard.
The substance of the Absolute is inwardly like wood or stone, in that it is motionless, and outwardly like the void, in that it is without bounds or obstructions. It is neither subjective nor objective, has no specific location, is formless, and cannot vanish. ~Huang Po

Return to “Dharma in Everyday Life”