Illuminaughty

Re: Chanting the name of a god?

Postby Illuminaughty » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:01 pm

sinweiy

Postby sinweiy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:48 am

_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung

lowlydog

Postby lowlydog » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:26 am

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:59 am

chokyi lodro

Postby chokyi lodro » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:38 pm

sinweiy

Postby sinweiy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:10 pm

_/\_
Amituofo!

"Enlightenment is to turn around and see MY own mistake, Other's mistake is also my mistake. Others are right even if they are wrong. i'm wrong even if i'm right. " - Master Chin Kung

lowlydog

Postby lowlydog » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:09 am

sinweiy

Postby sinweiy » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:07 am

_/\_
Amituofo!

nobodytobe123

Postby nobodytobe123 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:36 pm

I grew up attending the Krishna temple weekly as my friend's dad was into it.

If it weren't for them I might not have decided to become a vegetarian at age 5.

As for whether it is a true path to collective liberation--IMO any religion can lead you to that, but some are easier to get you started and others are easier to get you finished. I think it is important to at least be familiar with the tenets of Mahayana Buddhism (Theravada is usually misunderstood as leading to some ultimate endpoint in which one is forever "done" with life, so it can be confusing).

I could never accept most religions because my mind does not work with illogical and fanciful tales. That is why I found refuge in Buddha dhamma. However, having found the goal of uniting with the universal intelligence which is beyond the tetralemma, I discovered that worshipping this intelligence with the Krishna devotees became invaluable to me getting over myself. I have a tendency toward over-intellectualizing and feelings of intellectual superiority which are greatly smashed by chanting Hare Krishna with great devotion. I laugh at how silly I am as "I" reify the great loving intelligence, yet I find that this great Awake One (which one could label Buddha, or dhamma) is pleased with my worship, even as it laughs at my silly reificiation. The Hare Krishna mantra also sounds beautiful when sung with feeling, and is less sleep-inducing than chanting Buddho to the breath.

As for the Krishna priest on the train who was not compassionate--well, many great Buddhist masters (eg Acariya Mun) were quite harsh at times, so it is hard to say whether the priest was acting from ego or not, however in general Prabhupada did teach compassion as essential to develop. He said we chant Krishna in order to cleans our defiled hearts. The path of Bhakti is one of developing supreme love for God and all beings which are not really separate from God except by illusion. And as Ajahn Amaro points out, Shakyamuni Buddha himself would not have taught anyone anything had the gods not asked him to reconsider... Although really the gods that Buddha said were themselves unenlightened are not what modern people think of when they speak of God which is in all things.

Jainarayan

Postby Jainarayan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:31 pm

It's called the Mahā Mantra, a Vaishnava mantra. It invokes the name of Hari (Vishnu), Krishna and Rāma (incarnations of Vishnu). Due to Sanskrit inflection Hare is the vocative of Hari and Harā, a name for Rādhā. Rādhā is the śakti of Krishna, and an incarnation of Lakshmi, the consort or śakti of Vishnu. So, it's a kind of inflectional play on words. In Hinduism the name(s) of God(dess) are non-different from God(dess). Chanting the Mahā Mantra, or any name(s) of God(dess) brings blessings and karmic benefits in this age of kali yuga. It is a nāma japa which can be recited by anyone, no initiation by a guru is needed. It's often chanted on a mālā, but like any nāma japa, can be recited whenever, wherever, for whatever number of repetitions.
Worthy, wise and virtuous: Who is energetic and not indolent, in misfortune unshaken,
flawless in manner and intelligent, such one will honor gain. - Digha Nikaya III 273

KrisW

Postby KrisW » Sun May 12, 2013 12:34 am

The guru is the Buddha, the guru is the Dharma, likewise the guru is the Sangha, the guru is Śrī Heruka, the guru creates everything.

randomseb

Postby randomseb » Sun May 12, 2013 2:40 pm

From my perspective it doesn't matter what you chant, as the purpose isn't in the word symbols, which are meaningless anyway, but in setting up a mental object unto which to focus your awareness attention in order to "purify" one of your senses, in this case that of the brain-sense

Grigoris
Former staff member

Postby Grigoris » Sun May 12, 2013 7:28 pm

"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde

Return to “Pure Land”