YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

British singer Amy Winehouse found dead - Page 2 - Dhamma Wheel

British singer Amy Winehouse found dead

Casual discussion amongst spiritual friends.
bodom

Re: British singer Amy Winehouse found dead

Postby bodom » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:54 am

To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html
http://www.ajahnchah.org/

manas

Postby manas » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:37 am

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

plwk

Postby plwk » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:49 am

Does every dead person's thread have to end up like this? :thinking: :lol:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:05 am

"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

imagemarie

Postby imagemarie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:54 am

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 am

'The heedful do not die, the heedless are as if already dead'

Retro's comment seemed spot on, esp. from a dhammic perspective.

While it is sad that she died, and as a father I cringe at the thought of losing a beloved child, the suffering endured in life by Amy seems the worse. And having the family that I do, it seems very possible that at least one dear one will meet such an untimely death. Does that make it insensitive to talk about it plainly?

Amy winehouses death is not unique, and neither was her suffering; just call a spade a spade, as they say, and be done with it.

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:08 am

Ben

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:12 am

Yes, all beings should be an object of compassion and loving kindess irregardless of whether we like them or not.
kind regards

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:58 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:24 pm

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Greetings,

Talk of whether someone "deserved it", assumes working knowledge of kamma and its vipaka to a level explained by the Buddha as unconjecturable. Such talk is speculative idle chatter.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead" - Thomas Paine

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:30 pm

manas

Postby manas » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:35 am

Just to clarify (I wish I had not originally gotten caught up in this now, but it's too late...) :|

Neither I, nor (I believe) any of the others here who were concerned about a perceived lack of compassion regarding the death of this pop singer (whose music isn't really to my taste btw), see her death as any more significant than, say, that of a child who has just starved to death in Africa, for example. Just today, it is most likely that somewhere in that Continent, some little boy or girl (or maybe hundreds, or thousands?) will lose their life (lives?) due to starvation - a painful way to die, so I've heard. Every one of those children is another 'universe' in the same way that we all are - all seeing life from their own perspective, wanting life, not wanting death. And I'm sorry if some will be irritated by a perceived sentimentality on my part, but for most parents, their children are like 'the light of their lives', and you have to be a parent to understand this. There are most probably alot of grieving parents all around the world today...so no, neither I nor anyone else would pretend that the death of a pop singer is any more significant than the death of any other human being. Accuse me of being a softie, but I feel for all those parents who have lost children today. Most of them don't have the dhamma for guidance as we do. For them, there is little solace in their pain. Maybe I'm a fool for feeling sadness over them. But so far, it doesn't seem to impede my meditation practice if I occassionally shed a few tears over the numberless grieving parents around the world.

Ok, I got that off my chest...peace for everyone here, truly. There is no conflict here, we all have the dhamma. I do feel for those who don't, however. How much harder it must be for them, when they lose someone!

:namaste:
Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby retrofuturist » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:25 am

Return to “Lounge”