Is the Nyingma tradition profoundly non-monastic?

Yudron

Re: Is the Nyingma tradition profoundly non-monastic?

Postby Yudron » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:16 pm

Author of Buddhist young adult fiction. Vlogger at Wisdom and Compassion: Grandma Yudron's Totally Chill Vlog on Meditation and Tibetan Wisdom Blogger at Very active on Twitter.

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:29 pm

ngodrup

Postby ngodrup » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:42 pm

And especially, the nuns of Gebchak... although formally Kagyu, they practice mainly a Nyingma Terma;

http://gebchakgonpa.org/

These nuns completely inspire me, as they are absolutely committed to life-long retreat.

Yeti

Postby Yeti » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:49 pm

"When a Dzogchen Yogi hears Shakyamuni Buddha turning the Wheel of the Dharma of the Four Noble Truths he hears Samathabhadra proclaiming the most profound Dzogpachenpo." - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:01 am

Yudron

Postby Yudron » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:13 am

Nice post, Yeti!

Perhaps it is my ignorance, but it makes sense that Tibetan nuns would be more genuine in their practice, given that they probably chose to be a nun, whereas a lot of boys were put in a monastery by their parents. There are so many glittering nunneries in Tibet today, such as the above, and many more, such as those under Jetsun Khacho Wangmo (http://www.whitejewelmountain.org/jetsunma.html), herself a nun and scholar, and also the powerful little group at Yeshe Tsogyal's birthplace, who Lama Yeshe Wangmo is helping (http://www.jnanasukha.org/tsogyal-latso/).
Author of Buddhist young adult fiction. Vlogger at Wisdom and Compassion: Grandma Yudron's Totally Chill Vlog on Meditation and Tibetan Wisdom Blogger at Very active on Twitter.

Yeti

Postby Yeti » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:22 am

"When a Dzogchen Yogi hears Shakyamuni Buddha turning the Wheel of the Dharma of the Four Noble Truths he hears Samathabhadra proclaiming the most profound Dzogpachenpo." - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche

Yeti

Postby Yeti » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:26 am

Yudron

Postby Yudron » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:09 am

Please don't bugger off soon, Yeti, I really appreciate your contribution.

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 am

Yeti

Postby Yeti » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:12 am

@JKhendrup

Just to clarify, at that event when Dilgo Khyentse was teaching on the nature of mind, no one else blinked or talked about that Geshe's reaction to the teachings, and there were other Gelugpa's in the room. I found that Geshe a really nice guy and certainly not neurotic. And that behaviour I don't classify as neurotic, but to me, I just saw it as someone developed in the debating tradition, that is just how they would manifest inspired in that situation. It's just that it is the flip side of how I was taught to remain in the presence in those teachings. That's not putting one above the other at all. But at the same time it was really bizarre (to me).

I began my Buddhist teachings in the Gelugpa tradition. It really gave me a good basis for my practice. After a few years of teaching, during a long period of study and practice, I went to my Gelugpa teacher, who was a tulku, but had also been sent by HHDL to train in the Theravada tradition of meditation. I told him that I felt I was much better off doing a lot of shamatha practice and just doing short contemplations and sadhanas at the end of the day, it seemed to have a better effect. He went into his room and came out with a book and gave it to me and said "I think you are much more suited to this approach"... it was a book on Dzogchen. All my Gelugpa teachers are/were fantastic.

You might not have accused me of being lazy, but I certainly felt it was implied, and I think given you started this topic, I felt my question was not really off topic or branching. I think there was some laziness in not being willing to give even a short explanation. There's no need to apologize to me, it's actually a good experience for me to see how my own expression can create confusion. But I would say to you, for the sake of newer students, it's tough to be a practitioner, especially to be an ordained sangha in the west, I can't do it, so hats off to you, but please try and take care and represent yourself well and keep you bodhisattva pledge to try and help others. But be careful you don't take on too much and burn yourself out.

You know, I have the opposite experience of sectarianism; I'm really finding a surprising lack of it in the places I look and the Dharma practitioners and sanghas I come across. I'm just wondering how my quick remark set you off, maybe your radar is set on too high alert for this. Maybe it's not. I don't know. But I can definitely point to many sanghas and practitioners were this is off the radar completely.

Anyway, I hope you don't over extend yourself and burn yourself out.

Namgyal

Postby Namgyal » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:16 am

My own view is Nyingma, but I revere monks and nuns as possessing the highest form of existence, and I am filled with gratitude for their courage and dedication. Of course, ngakpas can achieve the same realisation, but it is obvious that without support and entangled with the world their work is that much harder, and so they are much less likely to succeed. In any case, as lay practitioners we have to constantly aspire to a perfect monastic life, even if we can never achieve it in this life, because this was the path taught by our teacher Lord Buddha, and one that was followed by all the great masters of India, including Guru Rinpoche. Just having this aspiration can bring many blessings, and hopefully create the opportunity for the perfect monastic life in the future.
:namaste: R.
Last edited by Raksha on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 am

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:36 am

wangdak

Postby wangdak » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:41 am

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:43 am

wangdak

Postby wangdak » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:18 pm

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:14 pm

:thanks: I stand pleasantly corrected! That is great news. I just hope I can find a weekend where she is teaching and I don't have to translate courses.

heart

Postby heart » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:47 pm

"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

JKhedrup

Postby JKhedrup » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:57 pm

Yes I have heard her lectures on youtube and she is very fluent and also can joke in English which is wonderful (she seems to have a great sense of humour). What I meant was that I don't have translation responsibilities here during all her teaching events. (Most of my work falls on weekends because that is when people come for classes that need to be translated)

Return to “Nyingma”