Vajrayana progression questions

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Vajrayana progression questions

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

So, I have spent a couple months trying out services at a local center here, and find myself really attracted to the Vajrayana practices, namely the public Chenrezig and Tara practices have really resonated with me. Compared to the quietism and austerity of Zen it was like getting zapped...in a good way, if that makes sense. No commentary on Zen of course, just my own leanings. In addition, I just really like the people at this place as well, so added bonus.

Anyway, I am kind of bewildered by the sheer number of practices and terms within Vajrayana. Thankfully due to the internet and this site I can fill in some of the gaps for myself.

Something that eludes me though is the larger concepts of how things are structured in terms of student progression, with the huge number of practices out there, is there some sort of 'standardized' approach, or is this really down to your teacher and/or lineage?

Also are certain things viewed as "only for beginners", where then you graduate to more advanced practice and get initiations, or is it different than this?

My only comparison to something like tantric practice is martial arts (yeah I know, controversy of and within itself i'm sure), where what is "advanced" is really just refinement, internalizing and eventually transcendence of fundamentals. Do people end up dropping stuff like Chenrezig practice for something more "advanced" down the line, or is this really more about individual preferences?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
ngodrup

Re: Vajrayana progression questions

Post by ngodrup »

Consider that a very small child might ride in a Child seat of a car and needs restraints.
An older child can sit in the adult seat -- she has balance, coordination, ability to sit still.
Maybe that one only needs a seat belt and no a harness.
Then at a certain age, the teenager may with proper training be allowed to drive, but they
definitely aren't very skilled and may still crash. Eventually, one gets more skilled-- but even then--
who gets to drive Formula one race cars? ...Or is licensed to chauffeur others such as on a bus?

Does driving a car qualify one to also skipper a sailboat?

Now, who among car drivers can also fly airplanes, fly airplanes on instruments, or navigate
a space shuttle?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I think I get what you are saying, so let me turn it back and ask you a question with your analogy:

Who/what ultimately decides what you get to drive, who figures out whether you're better off riding a bike around the forest, or being captain of a ship? Is there standard Vajrayana answer as such, or is it completely down to teacher/guru, student preference etc.?

In addition, does someone who is a jet pilot decide to stop driving cars altogether, or might he still drive his beloved truck to work?

-Khunu Lama
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:Something that eludes me though is the larger concepts of how things are structured in terms of student progression, with the huge number of practices out there, is there some sort of 'standardized' approach, or is this really down to your teacher and/or lineage?

Also are certain things viewed as "only for beginners", where then you graduate to more advanced practice and get initiations, or is it different than this?

My only comparison to something like tantric practice is martial arts (yeah I know, controversy of and within itself i'm sure), where what is "advanced" is really just refinement, internalizing and eventually transcendence of fundamentals. Do people end up dropping stuff like Chenrezig practice for something more "advanced" down the line, or is this really more about individual preferences?
Well, Vajrayana is a huge system. So my answers will be yes and no. Most deity practices and meditation techniques have levels. You complete one and move to the next. But some practices don't or not as much.

There is only one way to master certain practices, but it doesn't have to be strictly exact. So Gurus can add or summarize things.

As for "only for beginners", there are practices done upon entry to Vajrayana, but even the great masters like Lord Tsongkhapa and Lord Drikungpa did these entry level practices through out their lives. So yes there are beginner practices, but they're never abandoned (or rather shouldn't be). Even upon mastering higher practices. Sometimes daily practice of some previous levels will be reduced once mastery is gained.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Be careful not to let the experience of a new practice start to condition the expectation of results :spy: I started noticing that tendency in myself when I tried various practices, especially since some strange effects can arise. There's a subtle trap in associating these novel experiences with some idea of progress or an auspicious sign.

Everyone's a little different, but for what I'm working with in my mind and habits, I've had to keep forcing myself to simplify :cheers: Not that the idea of visualizing suffering beings transformed into beautiful bodhisattvas radiating rainbow light on moon-bright lotuses isn't extremely appealing...
Namu Amida Butsu
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

duckfiasco wrote:Be careful not to let the experience of a new practice start to condition the expectation of results :spy: I started noticing that tendency in myself when I tried various practices, especially since some strange effects can arise. There's a subtle trap in associating these novel experiences with some idea of progress or an auspicious sign.

Everyone's a little different, but for what I'm working with in my mind and habits, I've had to keep forcing myself to simplify :cheers: Not that the idea of visualizing suffering beings transformed into beautiful bodhisattvas radiating rainbow light on moon-bright lotuses isn't extremely appealing...
Don't worry, i'm all about just doing basic stuff, just concentration fills my plate right now. It's more an external question about overall Vajrayana practice than anything I would use to direct my own activity.

-Khunu Lama
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

I was talking to a Dharma brother of mine and the conversation drifted towards the subject of Mahamudra. He is new to Vajrayana and referred to Mahamudra as an advanced practice/state. I pointed out to him that all practices are Mahamudra practices, all practices aim to bring one to a realisation of the true nature of mind. So there is no real advanced or beginner practice, any one practice can bring you to the realisation of the true nature of mind.
:namaste:
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
JKhedrup

Post by JKhedrup »

As for "only for beginners", there are practices done upon entry to Vajrayana, but even the great masters like Lord Tsongkhapa and Lord Drikungpa did these entry level practices through out their lives.
We need to purify obscurations and accumulate merits throughout our practice if we want it to bring fruit. Obstacles can manifest during the advanced stages of practice as well.
conebeckham

Post by conebeckham »

Hevajra Tantra says "First, train disciples in the common vehicles."

Seems to be good advice in general. You should understand, to some degree, the concepts and theories of refuge, relative Bodhicitta and compassion, emptiness, Absolute Bodhicitta, the paramitas, and samatha and vipassana. But you can study and learn these while practicing Development Stage, I think, to some degree.
དམ་པའི་དོན་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ཆེ་བ་དང་།
རྟོག་གེའི་ཡུལ་མིན་བླ་མའི་བྱིན་རླབས་དང་།
སྐལ་ལྡན་ལས་འཕྲོ་ཅན་གྱིས་རྟོགས་པ་སྟེ།
དེ་ནི་ཤེས་རབ་ལ་ནི་ལོ་རྟོག་སེལ།།

"Absolute Truth is not an object of analytical discourse or great discriminating wisdom,
It is realized through the blessing grace of the Guru and fortunate Karmic potential.
Like this, mistaken ideas of discriminating wisdom are clarified."
- (Kyabje Bokar Rinpoche, from his summary of "The Ocean of Definitive Meaning")
Terma

Post by Terma »

There have been some good responses thus far and I agree with many of them. I think that if you are serious and ready to do so, then a good start would be to approach a teacher in whom you have great faith and arrange an interview to ask for their guidance. They would be the best person to ask these things.

Some teachers will prefer or even require that you do ngondro (preliminaries) practices before engaging in other practices, and there are many reasons for this. Like JKhedrup mentioned, both purification and accumulation of merit is very important and these are two of the things that ngondro addresses.

To answer your question a little more directly, I think it is down to which teacher you follow and from what lineage. When you find the right teacher, they will know what is best for you personally I think.

As we move along we may find that we have affinity with a teacher, lineage or practice. This sort of progression has been my experience and it is similar for many others i would imagine.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

I am already attending a center which I like very much. There is both a Geshe and a Lama, i'm not sure which one I would talk to, the Geshe seems to run the show.

I'd feel a little awkward asking a thing like that, as i'm so new i'd be worried about being perceived as over zealous, I also don't know that this would be 'normal' within the etiquette of the place. Should I just not worry about that and set something up once he's available, what would you do in my shoes?

I mainly just would like a little direction when it comes to personal practice, I am sure I can also get this informally from the lay people, the Lama, and the Geshe without needing to bother them by asking for a special appointment, do you think being that I am fairly new to Tibetan Buddhism (though not to Buddhism generally) this approach might be more appropriate?

-Khunu Lama
Yudron

Post by Yudron »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:I am already attending a center which I like very much. There is both a Geshe and a Lama, i'm not sure which one I would talk to, the Geshe seems to run the show.

I'd feel a little awkward asking a thing like that, as i'm so new i'd be worried about being perceived as over zealous, I also don't know that this would be 'normal' within the etiquette of the place. Should I just not worry about that and set something up once he's available, what would you do in my shoes?

I mainly just would like a little direction when it comes to personal practice, I am sure I can also get this informally from the lay people, the Lama, and the Geshe without needing to bother them by asking for a special appointment, do you think being that I am fairly new to Tibetan Buddhism (though not to Buddhism generally) this approach might be more appropriate?
When I was about to go in and ask my first lama teach me the Vajrayana, one of his students handed me the ngondro text and told me I should ask for the reading transmission at the same time. And off we went!
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:I am already attending a center which I like very much. There is both a Geshe and a Lama, i'm not sure which one I would talk to, the Geshe seems to run the show.
Generally the geshe would run the show.
I'd feel a little awkward asking a thing like that, as i'm so new i'd be worried about being perceived as over zealous, I also don't know that this would be 'normal' within the etiquette of the place.
They love these questions.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

"Hi Lama (or Geshe), I'm Johnny. I'm new to this whole Tibetan Buddhist thing. Where do you think I should start?"
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
Terma

Post by Terma »

Johnny Dangerous wrote:
People meet with teachers on an individual basis because we all have different needs on our own personal journey. I encourage you to just go and show your sincerity! When a Master see's this, then I think they are usually pretty happy to give you the guidance that you ask for. Remember that they are constantly the embodiment of the Bodhisattva- working for the benefit of you, me and all sentient beings in order to bring about liberation. This is what they do! :smile:

When I first met my teacher, I simply asked him what I wanted to ask and I think he saw the sincerity and it just went from there. If you feel a connection with this Master, then just try to follow their guidance.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”