Becoming an Buddhist

Introduce yourself to others at Dharma Wheel.
Gautama

Becoming an Buddhist

Post by Gautama »

I'm 15 years old,and in today's world i'm convinced that we need material goods to be happy,i never agreed with this but sometimes the commercials still get to me,but still rarely :soapbox: . So i want to control this urge of having new things and learn to live by an minimalist standard,sometimes i also fell jealousy,that i want to avoid by all means.

I hope that i will learn a lot of things in this community.
Huseng
Former staff member

Re: Becoming an Buddhist

Post by Huseng »

Welcome. :smile:
Seishin
Former staff member

Post by Seishin »

I admire your decision, being so young, I wonder if you face a more difficult task.

Welcome to the forum,
Gassho,
Seishin.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Welcome to Dharma Wheel!
:popcorn:
Konchog1

Post by Konchog1 »

Gautama wrote:I'm 15 years old,and in today's world i'm convinced that we need material goods to be happy,i never agreed with this but sometimes the commercials still get to me,but still rarely :soapbox: . So i want to control this urge of having new things and learn to live by an minimalist standard,sometimes i also fell jealousy,that i want to avoid by all means.

I hope that i will learn a lot of things in this community.
Welcome.

Just focus on the essentials. Only cling to the material goods and relationships that you can bring with you to your next life. Don't cling to the ones you can't bring with you.
Equanimity is the ground. Love is the moisture. Compassion is the seed. Bodhicitta is the result.

-Paraphrase of Khensur Rinpoche Lobsang Tsephel citing the Guhyasamaja Tantra

"All memories and thoughts are the union of emptiness and knowing, the Mind.
Without attachment, self-liberating, like a snake in a knot.
Through the qualities of meditating in that way,
Mental obscurations are purified and the dharmakaya is attained."

-Ra Lotsawa, All-pervading Melodious Drumbeats
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Gautama wrote:I'm 15 years old,and in today's world i'm convinced that we need material goods to be happy,i never agreed with this but sometimes the commercials still get to me,but still rarely :soapbox: . So i want to control this urge of having new things and learn to live by an minimalist standard,sometimes i also fell jealousy,that i want to avoid by all means.
Why minimalism? Minimalism can be tough. Buddha never said that people had to actually be minimalists. He did teach to not be attached to material possessions but that is another matter. Minimalism can be a rigid viewpoint so it can be as much of a trap as mindless consumption. Just don't get jealous over possessions and experiences. But using possessions to help people is a good thing.

Kirt
Kirt's Tibetan Translation Notes

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche

"Most all-knowing Mañjuśrī, ...
Please illuminate the radiant wisdom spirit
Of my precious Buddha nature."
HH Thinley Norbu Rinpoche
plwk

Post by plwk »

Less is more, kirtu? :lol:
Gautama

Post by Gautama »

kirtu wrote:
Why minimalism? Minimalism can be tough. Buddha never said that people had to actually be minimalists. He did teach to not be attached to material possessions but that is another matter. Minimalism can be a rigid viewpoint so it can be as much of a trap as mindless consumption. Just don't get jealous over possessions and experiences. But using possessions to help people is a good thing.

Kirt
well this was mostly mine decision,i want to become a minimalist,because do i really need 4 mobile phones 2 computer,fancy clothes NO!
i want to learn to completly live without this things. I never dressed like an parrot thu.
relay

Post by relay »

Welcome from New York, US.

peace,
relay
"We do not have to be ashamed of what we are. As sentient beings we have wonderful backgrounds. These backgrounds may not be particularly enlightened or peaceful or intelligent. Nevertheless, we have soil good enough to cultivate; we can plant anything in it.”
~Chögyam Trungpa
waimengwan

Post by waimengwan »

Welcome. Yes if material is key to be happy, then all rich people would be happy :)

Return to “Introductions”