What do you think?

Casual conversation between friends. Anything goes (almost).
plwk

What do you think?

Post by plwk »

Is something true because you believe it OR do you believe it because it is true?
lowlydog

Re: What do you think?

Post by lowlydog »

If you tell me that fire will burn me, and you explain the charachteristics of fire to me I may believe you.

If I observe you putting your hand in fire and getting burned then this belief is stronger.

Only when I have experienced the fire burning me does it become the highest truth. experiential wisdom. :smile:
undefineable

Post by undefineable »

plwk wrote:do you believe it because it is true?
I believe something to be true because I deduce that it's highly likely whatever the circumstances. I can't have absolute proof of anything, so like many philosophers I accept that I *know* nothing.
plwk wrote:Is something true because you believe it
If that was my position I'd probably be a Christian.
you wore out your welcome with random precision {Pink Floyd}
Thomas Amundsen

Post by Thomas Amundsen »

I'd say that things are true because I believe them. If we have no way of proving, for example, that this universe is not a simulation, can you really say that you know anything to be true? For sure?
relay

Post by relay »

If by "true" we mean a universal truth that transcends even the usual suspects (cultural precedence) across the board, then it is indeed true.
If it needs to satisfy just "me," well then, we're in the right place for that question ;)

peace,
relay
"We do not have to be ashamed of what we are. As sentient beings we have wonderful backgrounds. These backgrounds may not be particularly enlightened or peaceful or intelligent. Nevertheless, we have soil good enough to cultivate; we can plant anything in it.”
~Chögyam Trungpa

Return to “Lounge”